The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-05-2020, 04:21 PM

Default OK to Keep Guitar out on Stand?

I have a nice Taylor and a Tacoma. I bough two case hygrometers to confirm what my Nest thermostat was saying: consistent 53-55% humidity. The readings match.

Is it OK to keep my guitars out on a stand? I would love to do that because with CoVid, I can steal playing chances.

Thanks.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuman View Post
I have a nice Taylor and a Tacoma. I bough two case hygrometers to confirm what my Nest thermostat was saying: consistent 53-55% humidity. The readings match.

Is it OK to keep my guitars out on a stand? I would love to do that because with CoVid, I can steal playing chances.

Thanks.
Spend the extra 20 seconds to open the case and play instead of exposing it to the variables of environment and possible damage via accidental breakage. You'll be happier in the long run.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
Spend the extra 20 seconds to open the case and play instead of exposing it to the variables of environment and possible damage via accidental breakage. You'll be happier in the long run.
+1

2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-05-2020, 04:28 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:

Thanks.
If the RH in your house (not just your cases) is consistently 53-55% you’re fine...

Old 08-05-2020, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

You'll get opinions on both ways. For instance, for me, keeping a guitar in a case is a complete waste. That said, I don't keep mine on a stand as there's a higher chance of knocking it over accidentally especially if you have kids or pets. But I do hang mine on a wall in nice and secure Hercules wall-mount guitar holders. My guitars are as much art as musical instruments. I love having immediate access to them year round.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Or, if your home has the proper relative humidity, leave them out. I've been pretty darn happy with my guitars hanging on the wall.

OP, those levels are just fine to leave your guitar out. Just make sure to monitor them regularly.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:33 PM

It all depends on your environment.

If you have young children and pets in the house, then NO, don't keep your guitars on stands

If you have no pets, no children, I would ENCOURAGE having a guitar on stands within reach while you are doing something else (watching TV or whatever)

I have two (out of 20 ) guitars out on stands all the time.

I live in 'Sconsin and I don't worry about humidity issues, be they in Summer or Winter, but that's just me.

Do what you feel comfortable and take other folks opinions with a GRAIN OF SALT

J
Old 08-05-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
+ 2 My guitars are always in their cases.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:38 PM

I agree with RevRoy. It really lowers the energy threshold to playing, makes it easier to grab and go.
I live in SF Bay Area where the RH is usually very stable at ~50%.

Other cautions are correct though, too. it does increase the possibility of mojo accumulation;
i.e. minor ding and scrape damage. Grand children and pets not withstanding. Take it from me, I know. :-P

Cheers and be careful, meanwhile: play on, _Roger
Old 08-05-2020, 04:38 PM

All of my acoustics sit out on stands ready to be grabbed and played! It's been that way with me for 50 years now. Never had a problem or damage of any kind.

Even Bob Taylor recommends leaving your guitar out of its case unless you're taking it somewhere. That way it can flex with sympathetic vibrations around it and further break in.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
All of my acoustics sit out on stands ready to be grabbed and played! It's been that way with me for 50 years now. Never had a problem or damage of any kind.

Even Bob Taylor recommends leaving your guitar out of its case unless you're taking it somewhere. That way it can flex with sympathetic vibrations around it and further break in.

BIG PLUSE ONE ++++++++++++++
Old 08-05-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks.
I agree with the above Keep it on stands posts. Absolutely, positively, keep the guitar on a stand and it will be just fine.
“PLUS"..........You will be playing more guaranteed!

I have 10 guitars on stands all around my house. I’m always playing. I even keep my banjo handy LOL. PLUS, it’s really nice to look at them all the time.

Blues
Old 08-05-2020, 04:43 PM

I bought a new Seagull S6 back around 1998 and used to keep it on a stand. A few years later the new kitten my wife brought home thought the guitar would make a great scratching post. I was able to grab the cat after the first swipe at the Seagull, and it made for an interesting story as to how the scratches got on the guitar. I've kept all my guitars in their cases since then. I can understand the desire all of us have to be able to look at our guitars on a wall or stand, but I believe that they are safest in their cases. BTW, the cat lived for another 14 years before we had to have her put down last year, which I can only say proves I loved that cat as much as my guitars.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:54 PM

Right now my music room ranges anywhere from 41% to 53% humidity depending on the day, how much ac is running, etc...It swings all over the place, and those swings can be surprising quick based on my in-room monitoring data coming off of my SensorPush. My guitar sitting in the case in this same environment sits bang on at 50% consistently, varying up or down by 0.1% humidity over the course of many hours. You tell me what is the better environment to be presenting to my guitar.

I get that it is nice having a guitar on the stand ready to go. I have that vibe with my carbon fiber guitar and it is great, but it is so not a big deal to open and close a guitar case for a wooden guitar that I enjoy.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-05-2020, 05:36 PM

I agree, fluctuations in humidity can be a problem, so you should keep the guitars cased.

I don't use much environmental control (A/C or Heat) so I feel comfortable keeping my guitars (2 out of 20 ) out on the stands.

If humidity levels go from 30% to 70% or 30% to 10% I really don't react if it's naturally induced.

J

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion