The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-24-2020, 01:22 PM

I believe the guitar came with whatever set the high E string is a 0.012" string. Changed to a set where high E is 0.010"
Old 07-24-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilca View Post
I believe the guitar came with whatever set the high E string is a 0.012" string. Changed to a set where high E is 0.010"
That's a significant change. Here my thoughts on it. You got the guitar with 12's and it sounded fine those strings aged out and the guitar started sounding dead on it so you got new strings that are two gauges under what you had and are very light and might not be strong enough to drive the top.

I would suggest you try a set of 80/20 12's and see what happens.
Old 07-25-2020, 10:22 PM

Default A thought

String experiments don't have to be expensive. I've been using the inexpensive strings sold by Musician's Friend to set up, knowing I may be removing them to tinker with the neck/nut/saddle and If I compromise the strings, it's only two and a half bucks per set, postpaid.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
String experiments don't have to be expensive. I've been using the inexpensive strings sold by Musician's Friend to set up, knowing I may be removing them to tinker with the neck/nut/saddle and If I compromise the strings, it's only two and a half bucks per set, postpaid.
Thanks for the heads up, I have a set coming. That is cheap and free shipping unbelievable.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:23 PM

Tried the bone nut and saddle, no difference. That being said the guitar doesn't seem to sound quite as bad as when I started this thread. Next I will try the Musicians Friends heavier strings with the original nut and saddle.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:15 AM

My daughter, the music major, came home for a visit. I took this opportunity to blind test three guitars to her ear. Taylor GS mini, Martin DJR10e and the Ibanez. The result was she favored the Ibanez for it's mid range tone. I must admit the Ibanez did sound better than it had earlier with no changes made by me. It reminded me of this thread

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=587542

I just can't trust my lying ears!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair