The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-18-2021, 09:47 AM

Eastman for me, thanks to this forum. I wouldn’t have tried it were it not for the accolades the guitars consistently receive here, but I’m glad I gave my E10D a shot. I now have another Eastman which is also a great guitar at a price I like. Even though I’m eyeing a Gibson J-15 right now (another supposed value buy), I’m an Eastman fan right now.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:49 AM

Martin (see signature).
Martin 0015M
Martin Backpacker
Old 06-18-2021, 01:01 PM

Ive got a few others (Washburn, Taylor, Jackson, PRS) but my go to and favourite is Guild - got two and looking for a third.
Old 06-18-2021, 01:33 PM

I have three brands in my house currently: Gibson, Waterloo and Martin. Have a couple of Gibsons and Waterloos, and one Martin. I grab the G and W to play most of the time, so I guess they are my go-to brands. I really like the V shaped necks on my Waterloo JKs. The neck profile on the Martin is my least favorite, which may be why I don't play it as much... But it sounds so good when it does come out to play.

Last edited by thomasinaz; 06-18-2021 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 01:38 PM

Hmmmmm. . .

Actually, I only own two brands: Taylor and Ovation. Of the two, Ovation's the brand with the longest history with me and I've never had ANY problem with it, not with electronics, not with loose braces, top cracks, etc. And even I've owned other brands (including Gibson and Martin), Ovation has been the ONLY one not to cause me any problem at all. But I decided long ago that I wanted to have an all-wood alternative. Enter Taylor. With Taylor, I've had the best playability (even more than Ovation, and that says a lot) of all my guitars I've owned and, generally, the electronics are quite good. Not as great as Ovation IMO, but really good enough for me. And for the music I usually play, both Ovation and Taylor are head and shoulders above all the rest, even above Martin and Gibson.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 06-18-2021, 01:41 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

I’ve worked my way through lots of high-end Martins, Gibsons and Taylors (and the occasional Guild, Recording King and Yamaha). But a year or so ago I played my first boutique guitar…and I’ve been smitten ever since. Particularly with Bourgeois and Collings. The two in my sig are superb. Be hard to find a reason to replace them…

Old 06-18-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McLenison View Post
Usually any Martin for me.
+1. If I were to play somewhere and had a choice of guitars to play I'd say Martin or Taylor, whether it be Dread, OM, GA.
Old 06-18-2021, 02:30 PM

I've owned and played many great acoustics over the years and Eastman seems to fit me the best. I have three at the moment. I do have a Webber Roundbody that is amazing but I play my Eastmans more. I'm GASing for a Mcilroy at the moment and if I buy one I'm sure it will be my go-to for six months or so and then I'll be back to playing my Eastmans majority of the time. I feel lucky that the guitars that seem to work for me the best are so reasonably priced.
Old 06-18-2021, 02:41 PM

Three out of my 14 acoustics are Mossman, so would lean there. Would follow that with Guild.
Old 06-18-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sound View Post
Three out of my 14 acoustics are Mossman, so would lean there. Would follow that with Guild.
Mossman, ah, a man after my own heart. Wouldn’t trade mine for anything.

I suppose I would choose a Martin, now. Of course I don’t own one, right now. Would love to have a good 000 or OM.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 06-18-2021, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Godin/Seagull.......

The one's I've bought were based on affordable price on the used market, sound that I found useful, wider nuts and fatter necks. And moving beyond utility value, I kind of dig the no-frills "Shaker chair" looks.
Love the "Shaker furniture" analogy!

I can remember the first time I picked up an Art & Lutherie dread in a guitar store in Inverness almost 20 years ago or so. It was just so different from everything else that they had and it sounded and felt to me like something dependable and functional with a lovely earthy tone.

A few years later I found one second hand and bought it. Since then I have owned a Seagull S6 and now play an Art and Lutherie Legacy 000 size guitar, which is my only guitar at the moment. I bought the Legacy second hand from Ebay as a cheap stop gap while searching for a higher quality instrument. Knowing the brand I thought that the Legacy would be fine as an interim measure. But I have had it for 9 months now and have pretty much stopped looking for "the one" as "this one" does a bloody good job.

There are lots and lots of small things that I like about the Godin brand guitars, particularly the cheaper ones, and so they tick a lot of boxes for me.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 06-18-2021, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

After dancing around with other things...I guess my arrow seems to point to Martin.
Old 06-18-2021, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Had 'em all in the past; I guess by quantity, and my preference it would be Collings, but lately I've been "going to" my Eastmans.
Old 06-18-2021, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

My Larrivee may be my favorite guitar i’ve had and i’ve had some nice Martins and Breedloves. I could see gravitating to more Larry’s.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 06-18-2021, 05:41 PM

Gibson's for me. While I wont claim they sound the best, my playing just seems to sound better when I've got a nice slope shoulder dread in my hands. I've owned lots of Godin's too and havent played very many that I didnt like.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion