The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-19-2021, 04:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB200 View Post
I only have a J-100, and I'm very happy with it.
Has the J-100 always been your main guitar and have there been others you sold?
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 06-19-2021, 04:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed66 View Post
I feel this is sage advice; I need to start preparing my wife now to make sure this comes about.

Surely some AGFr's could offer suggestions on what I should buy.
As for what guitar to buy, that’s a personal choice. As for preparing the wife, nothing says I love you like making sure all the bills are paid and there is no debt. This for my wife and I is a joint venture.

I think she would be pissed (as would I) if I brought home a new guitar but the electricity was turned off
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
Old 06-19-2021, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

I still have a Gurian Size 3R that I bought new sometime in the mid 70s. It gets very little play, but I love the tone of it. I think it’s the only guitar I ever bought new.

I also have a Washburn parlor from the late 1800s. It needs some work, so it’s mostly in its case. It is a very fine guitar—Brazilian Rosewood, wide-grained Adirondack.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 06-20-2021, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Did you once have a collection of guitars but eventually thinned the heard to 1 or 2 guitars. If yes, How hard was it for ya. Was it due to financial constraints, or was it more of a spiritual journey? Did you find the one and all others took a back seat?

I do play all my guitars once a week but the Majority of time is spent with a Martin D-35 and a Stonebridge OM33-SR. Though I toy with the idea of selling the rest, I just can’t bring my self to do it. I know. I know......a real third world problem

I am fortunately that I’m not in a position where I need to sell but I do believe that one day It would be nice to lighten the load, How about you?
I can't bring myself to sell my Rainsong. Sometimes I want to get rid of it, sometimes no. I really want to trade this for something else because having two acoustics is redundant to me, but my model is no longer in production so I'm hesistant.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:35 PM

I've got an Art Luthrie guitar that I payed $350 bucks for about 17 years ago. As the price on them has gone up I could probably almost break even on that guitar, but it sounds way to good to let it go for $300 bucks so it stays in closet and mostly just collects dust.
Old 06-20-2021, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

One of a few I hang onto for reasons other than needing them to play - Santa Cruz #4 - koa dread thats been thru house fires and camp fires, car crashes and stage drops, but they have kept putting it back together and keeping it a very nice player - and I feel very lucky to have found it a couple years ago and bought it -

Old 06-21-2021, 06:22 AM

I bought my Santa Cruz Dread Cutaway new in 1982. My shoulder and elbow issues drove me to an OM and OO.
I can't sell the Cruz.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

I have a 2018 baked Sitka Collings D1T that I bought, new, a couple years ago. It's the perfect mahogany dread in playability, tone, craftsmanship, wood selection... everything. I love it. It's the only guitar I have ever babied. I even stashed the Vintage case from day one. The Collings has always shared time with one to three other guitars, but since my Guild 12 fretter came into the house, I have played it maybe once. I have two kids in college, and feel guilty having this much money tied up in a guitar and case that aren't seeing the light of day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CollingsD1T.jpg (52.7 KB, 66 views)
Old 06-21-2021, 09:32 AM

The most I've ever had is six and I'm now down to four acoustics and one electric. When I had six I felt that was ridiculous and decided there was no reason for me to have more than three. One in standard tuning with the other two in various open tunings. I ended up with three Martins with one of them being a 16 series which just didn't perform up to the level of the 000-28EC and CEO-7. So it got sold and I picked up an Alvarez Yairi FYM60HD and thought I was done. But then I realized I didn't have anything I was comfortable flying with so I go added an Alvarez WY1TS, which I still consider expensive but I'm less nervous flying with. So I'm down to four and right now I'm very content with that. All four get played regularly because I refuse to have something laying around not being used.
Yamaha Pacifica 212VFM Flamed Maple
Old 06-24-2021, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
One of a few I hang onto for reasons other than needing them to play - Santa Cruz #4 - koa dread thats been thru house fires and camp fires, car crashes and stage drops, but they have kept putting it back together and keeping it a very nice player - and I feel very lucky to have found it a couple years ago and bought it -

I do prefer my guitars to look pristine, but there’s something about the way that guitar looks that I find appealing. More so if it sounds great.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
Old 06-24-2021, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
As for what guitar to buy, that’s a personal choice. As for preparing the wife, nothing says I love you like making sure all the bills are paid and there is no debt. This for my wife and I is a joint venture.

I think she would be pissed (as would I) if I brought home a new guitar but the electricity was turned off
Just think how romantic it would for you to play her a song on your new guitar in the dark
Old 06-25-2021, 05:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDB View Post
Just think how romantic it would for you to play her a song on your new guitar in the dark
A Candle light serenade would be a beautiful moment, until the morning comes and her coffee maker doesn’t kick in. RUN FOR THE HILLS
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
Old 06-25-2021, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

At one stage I had 7 guitars. 2 I don't really count because they were out on loan for a few years to a number of people - basically I let any of my family and friends who wanted to learn to play or who knew someone who wanted to play take them away. I hear about their whereabouts from time to time.

There have been several guitars I said I'd never let go, due to sentimental reasons. And lo and behold I'm down to three relatively recent acquisitions. I've come to realise that I am not actually very sentimental about things. They are musical instruments. I use them to make music.

If I find one I prefer, or just one I want to try for a while I'll be happy to change. No looking back.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion