The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-14-2021, 10:48 AM

Default Mohawk lacquer, buffed out finish

I plan on using Mohawk piano or instrument lacquer. I will follow their protocol: Their vinyl white sealer, tint their mohawk lacquer the off-white color, then topcoats of their clear. Heck, I will even use their reducer (lacquer thinner) and retarder.

What I am most concerned about is NOT getting any cracking or checking, and not too much yellowing.

Has anyone used these products and buffed them out well.

Any advice is welcomed!
Old 06-14-2021, 11:09 AM

A quick search of the internet shows many opinions and lots of experience with these two products.

If you are concerned about checking and yellowing, I'd consider using a non-nitrocellulose-based finish. There are many from which to chose.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:40 PM

Yeah I have looked at the internet and most responses to this lacquer is very good. Few, its seems, have gotten checking and it is a water-white lacquer so from what I have been told it does not yellow much.

Having said that, the more personal experience I can get from those who have used it the better.

The other product I am considering is a catalyzed poly from Ilva. I guess I should run a thread on that too.

Thanks!

What other products are you referring to?
Old 06-14-2021, 02:27 PM

I use their Piano lacquer, and judging from other's experience, I have been lucky with the lack of cold checking. I believe the main reason is that I do a very thin finish, which after buffing is around 2 mils on the top and 3 on the back, sides, and neck. It hardens up quicker than any nitro I have used, and has pretty high solids. I would not call it water white, because it does have a slight amber tint in the can. Like most nitro, it will yellow some over time.
I do believe it is the closest I have seen to the lacquer used back in the 1930's.

The only sealer I use is dewaxed clear shellac. I have never liked any vinyl sealer I have tried.
Old 06-14-2021, 06:03 PM

Thank you!

The guy at Mohawk called it a water-white, but he did say it would yellow a little over time.
Old 06-14-2021, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
I use their Piano lacquer, and judging from other's experience, I have been lucky with the lack of cold checking. I believe the main reason is that I do a very thin finish, which after buffing is around 2 mils on the top and 3 on the back, sides, and neck. It hardens up quicker than any nitro I have used, and has pretty high solids. I would not call it water white, because it does have a slight amber tint in the can. Like most nitro, it will yellow some over time.
I do believe it is the closest I have seen to the lacquer used back in the 1930's.

The only sealer I use is dewaxed clear shellac. I have never liked any vinyl sealer I have tried.
Would you use it if you were doing something with color, like a cream off-white? or would you not use it because of the yellowing?
Old 06-21-2021, 11:17 AM

I would use a different finish. Mohawk has some finishes (including lacquers) that are non- yellowing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair