The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-26-2021, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
I did warn him that my favourite - and by far - is Seafoam Green, a notoriously difficult couour to get right and also to photograph. Well, he did ask!

Matt, you are very lucky to have yours on the bench. I was on Rory's website today, vicariously, and see that orders are now apparently being taken for early 2025. That's a 4-year wait by my reckoning.

As ever, it's always best to get updates re waits "from the horse's mouth" but you are very fortunate to have yours started. I know that it is going to be a great instrument.

Cheers,
Steve
Thanks Steve, it's exciting. My timing was perfect as it were - I'm getting married in May and then celebrating my 40th birthday in June, and I believe the guitar is scheduled to be delivered in or around that period. A fun way to commemorate some big milestones!
Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5
Old 02-26-2021, 04:44 PM

I received an update from Roy. It seems that while bringing the top down to final thickness a few blemishes have surfaced in the wood. To quote Rory, they are "slightly darker areas that look like the start of sap pockets but have no sap in them."

After a brief discussion he decided it best to find another top, as this one was no longer up to his standards for this instrument.

Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5
Old 02-26-2021, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Bummer, Scallywag!

I had a similar experience on my Baranik Meridian when a very small pitch pocket appeared during top sanding after the rosette had been installed. Mike didn't hesitate and selected a new top and started over. That's just one of the reasons why I respect the luthiers here--they have certain standards which they don't compromise on and will go the extra mile to make things perfect.

Rory does such excellent work--this guitar will be amazing. A great way indeed to commemorate your upcoming milestones!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 02-27-2021, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scallywag View Post
Thanks Steve, it's exciting. My timing was perfect as it were - I'm getting married in May and then celebrating my 40th birthday in June, and I believe the guitar is scheduled to be delivered in or around that period. A fun way to commemorate some big milestones!
Congratulations, congratulations and congratulations. Sounds like you have quite the year ahead! Hope you manage to enjoy every minute of it. Sorry to hear about the set back with the top, but it is nice to get an insight into the standards the build is being held to.

And the violet backed starling is awesome. I've never heard of one but the colour is amazing. Looking forward to seeing how it's used.
Old 02-27-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scallywag View Post
he decided it best to find another top, as this one was no longer up to his standards for this instrument.
I guess he'll be using it on mine then?!

I had this happen with Tom Sands. He braced a top for me and found that it didn't respond the way he wanted - it is wood afterall, and unpredictable as a consequence. He ditched it and made another for me: Far better outcome than persisting.

I had a nylon luthier who also found a blemish that could be mistaken for a crack in a cedar top he was building for me. He offered me the choice of persisting or starting with another top. TBH, I think he was a bit surprised (and dissapointed) when I opted for another top but the type of person whom commissions a custom instrument wants it perfect; just good enough won't cut it. I know of some guys who have returned guitars for the very slightest (and I mean microscopic) issue. The luthier can fight it out but in these days of social media, a few negative posts can destroy a luthier's reputation (rightly or wrongly) overnight. I know of posts right here on the AGF that have cost luthiers sales.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 03-09-2021, 11:37 AM

I received an update and some photos from Rory and Co. He's been working on the sides of my guitar, bending them by hand on the old metal pipe. You'll also see the guitar neck in process.

The neck wood is Santos Mahogany, which I understand to be more dense than Honduran Mahogany. In fact, it seems not to be a true Mahogany at all. I'm told that this is the neck material that went into the DS8 guitar. Works for me, if Rory likes the material then I like it too.

Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5
Old 03-10-2021, 04:01 AM

That's some size of a neck! The edges look a little sharp though, you might want to ask him to round them off a little.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

This is going to be one stunning guitar
Spotify

FOR SALE:
MIKTEK CV4 Tube mic
Various Shock Mounts
2019 Alvarez ABT60 SHB-E Baritone guitar
Shoot me a PM if interested
Old 03-10-2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feste View Post
This is going to be one stunning guitar
Thank you, I'm very excited to see it come together. Rory actually acquired some violet/purple veneers for me that are much more vibrant and deeper in color then the Purpleheart you see in the previous rosette. He'll be using it in lieu of the Purpleheart throughout the guitar, along with the blue elements, to better honor our little violet winged friend. Pics to come in time!
Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5
Old 03-19-2021, 05:52 PM

I received a few more photos to share today. The new top was selected, and the revised rosette was installed. We're also getting further along with the body. I'm told that Rory plans to close up the box next week. It's starting to resemble a guitar!

Matt

Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5
Old 03-19-2021, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Say, what’s the purple tint on the inside of the sides? Look very cool.

Last edited by dcn; 03-21-2021 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:52 PM

Default Taran Guitars Build - Tirga Mhor - Adirondack | African Blackwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcn View Post
Say, what’s the purple tint on the inside o the sides? Look very cool.

It’s a dyed veneer that Rory sourced. Not sure of the species. This same material also comprises the purple purfling elements in the rosette and eventually throughout the guitar, rather than the more muted Purpleheart that was previously used. This is much more vivid and makes for a better match to the blue bits.

IMG_3399.jpg
Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5

Last edited by Scallywag; 03-20-2021 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Very nice! Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-27-2021, 10:27 AM

Another round of photos from the Taran workshop landed in my inbox on Friday. Things are progressing nicely... the images speak for themselves!

Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5
Old 03-27-2021, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Progressing beautifully, Scallywag, you must be thrilled. All the soundclips I’ve heard of this model specifically have been outstanding. Just the right mix of sweetness and fatness.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop