The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-18-2021, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Default Hygrometer/Humidifier

Hi all,

Any recommendations for an all in one in case hygrometer/humidifier would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Robert
Old 06-18-2021, 06:13 PM

Be careful not to humidify your guitar too much.
I don't worry about humidity that much.
Too much humidity is a lot worse than a little.

When your guitar was built, it was the driest it will ever become.
Then throughout it's lifespan it takes on humidity and very seldom releases it.

You should be more concerned about moisture in the wood and not so much on humidity.

Good luck.

Ron
Old 06-19-2021, 12:36 AM
Charter Member

Given the limited space in a case I would recommend considering a separate hygrometer, I use Caliber IV digital hygrometers in each case.

Depending on your location you might need just to humidify or just to dehumidify, or it might depend on season.

For instance I am primarily dehumidifying during the summer months and therefore use Silica Gel.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 06-19-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMay View Post

You should be more concerned about moisture in the wood and not so much on humidity.

Good luck.

Ron
You're the only person in this forum who seems to believe this. Can you explain why you think this is and why the guitar makers are all wrong?

My understanding is that prior to building, wood is left to dry at a steady ambient relative humidity (RH) of about 45% until it reaches equilibrium. It is then built at a similar RH and the wood retains the same moisture content. If it drops below 45% to 30% the wood then dries further, shrinks and can crack as well as causing fret sprout etc. If it gets higher - say 65% - the wood can swell up causing bellying of the top and other issues. This is why the manufacturers indicate a safe range as too much or too little causes issues. The standard advice given here is usually to measure your humidification and try to keep it in this range.

I have a sensorpush hygrometer and am lucky to live in a climate where my house remains in this happy zone so I rarely need to take any action. I would agree with Rob and use a separate hygrometer so you can remove as well as add humidity as necessary.

Last edited by MThomson; 06-19-2021 at 07:10 AM.
Old 06-19-2021, 07:17 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucetophere View Post
Hi all,

Any recommendations for an all in one in case hygrometer/humidifier would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Robert
I use the D'Addario humidipaks and their bluetooth sensor.

Humidipak Link
Old 06-19-2021, 07:19 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:

This is not true.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...You should be more concerned about moisture in the wood and not so much on humidity...
Unless the guitar is in direct contact with water, it is the relative humidity that determines the moisture content of the wood. To prevent excessive shrinkage or expansion of the wood it makes sense to try to keep the guitar near the relative humidity at which is was constructed, which is why 45±5% or so is the general recommendation.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:
all in one in case hygrometer/humidifier
I think this question is a bit more specific that some are taking it to be. "All in one" and "in case" being the key things the OP is looking for.

I don't think anybody makes a single unit that has both the humidifier and hygrometer. The closest I've seen are "kits" that include one of each. This one has a sponge humidifier and in-case hygrometer; this one has Humidipaks and a Bluetooth unit that sends info to your phone. But you can get each of those separately as well.
Old 06-19-2021, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
I think this question is a bit more specific that some are taking it to be. "All in one" and "in case" being the key things the OP is looking for.

I don't think anybody makes a single unit that has both the humidifier and hygrometer.
Oasis do…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302660772...BoCPw8QAvD_BwE

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 06-19-2021, 02:31 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:

Good luck.

Ron
Umm, no absolutely not.

Unless someone lives in the tropics and some members do by the way so too much humidity is the problem. Guitars are not built with dried out wood.

Music Nomad makes a sound hole humidifiers and hygrometers. As someone has pointed out, they are separate units.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-19-2021, 03:48 PM

Just to throw a spanner in the humidity thing, I love watching Jerry Rosa’s YouTube channel. He’s a Midwesterner, mandolin and guitar maker. He also doesn’t believe in humidifying guitars. I found his discussion compelling. That said, I had been humidifying my two acoustics as needed over the winter. I bought an electric guitar, fell in love, and decided I really don’t want to fuss about with the care and feeding of acoustic guitars. One down, one more to go!
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 06-19-2021, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
I stand corrected! I did scan the Sweetwater listings but I didn't realize that one (Oasis OH-30) also had the water sponge attached. The sponge compartment lid contains the hygrometer.
Old 06-19-2021, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the info.

I believe that the question of the need to humidify is an empirical one. If anecdotal evidence is worth mentioning, I can tell you firsthand that the most logical explanation for a ruined guitar I once owned was lack of humidity. Not to mention, as one previous poster alluded to, there’s a clear consensus among those far more informed, educated, knowledgeable and experienced than I am that humidity is a crucial consideration. No extensive internet searches are required to corroborate this type of information, literally nearly every single legitimate maker has a care and feeding section consistent with the need to ensure a specific range of humidity. What am I missing?

Last edited by sprucetophere; 06-19-2021 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:53 PM

Quote:
nearly every single legitimate maker has a care and feeding section consistent with the need to ensure a specific range of humidity. What am I missing?
You're not missing anything. If you want to take care of your guitars, and limit the possibility of damage to them, keep them properly humidified. A guitar might be fine without humidification, and not crack or sprout frets, but you're rolling the dice if the guitar is ever in a low-humidity environment for a time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion