The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-30-2024, 03:57 PM

Default PSA: Miktek PM9 $99

This might be better in Acoustic Amplification, as many use the Miktek PM9 as a live vocal microphone.

Regardless, Miktek has the PM9 hypercardiod dynamic for close to half price:
https://www.miktekaudio.com/products-2/pm9/

No affiliation, just bought two for backup to my AKG C535s.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 01-31-2024, 10:09 AM

Normally I wouldn't jump in and go straight to Mr. Negative, but since this is a guitar-oriented forum... I know that mic and it's a good one at $200 and a steal at 99. BUT! The pickup pattern is super tight. Maybe even tighter than a Sennheiser 945. So if you don't stay right on it -- if you sneak peeks at the fingerboard while singing like we all do -- it's going to be audible. Way, way more than, say, an SM58. Miktek calls it a "handheld" for good reason, meaning "held right in front of your mouth at all times."

That's a good deal, though.

Couch Standards
Old 01-31-2024, 10:44 AM

That is a great point. I am used to a tight pattern with my C535s, and can work the microphone.

If you like a wider pattern, this may not be for you.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 01-31-2024, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Normally I wouldn't jump in and go straight to Mr. Negative, but since this is a guitar-oriented forum... I know that mic and it's a good one at $200 and a steal at 99. BUT! The pickup pattern is super tight. Maybe even tighter than a Sennheiser 945. So if you don't stay right on it -- if you sneak peeks at the fingerboard while singing like we all do -- it's going to be audible. Way, way more than, say, an SM58. Miktek calls it a "handheld" for good reason, meaning "held right in front of your mouth at all times."

That's a good deal, though.
True, but, tight pickup patterns can be very helpful for users with poor acoustic environments (most people recording at home). The greater issue, IMO, is that the frequency response of these types of mics tends to be for live vocals and instruments. They tend to do poorly on acoustics. I could find no response charts for these so I can't say for certain.

I'm sure it's a great deal for mics that will probably be handy to have around the studio.
Old 02-01-2024, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
The greater issue, IMO, is that the frequency response of these types of mics tends to be for live vocals and instruments. They tend to do poorly on acoustics.
If anyone took OP's first post as a recommendation for these as a guitar mic, you're right. That would be an issue.

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD