The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-24-2022, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Default Emerald X-7 acoustic tone

Very tempted to go carbon fiber, and specifically to try an Emerald. I need a smaller guitar due to shoulder issues and I like a shorter scale for my old small hands. I’ve always been a wood guy (except for an old Ovation), and currently have a Larrivee 00 and a Taylor GS Mini. Looking for some feedback on the tone and volume of an X-7 compared to those size guitars. I play mostly at home for an audience of 1 (me). Rarely, I might play with a friend, or for a church service, but I am mainly interested in the unplugged performance. Soooo, your thoughts and experiences?
Old 08-24-2022, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

I've owned 2 X-7's, the latest version and the one before. I never really got along with it and sold it pretty quickly, I found the tone to be OK, but nothing special. The one small CF I did like was the McPherson Touring. A great tone and easy to play.
You may want to move this to the CF section of the forum, you'll get a lot more responses. And there's a big Emerald fan base there to help.
Old 08-24-2022, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

I’ve not played an X7, so can’t comment there - but don’t be too quick to dismiss the X20. Despite Emerald describing it as their ‘dreadnought’ sized guitar, it’s really much closer to an OM, and its ergonomics make it extremely comfortable to play.

Hopefully you can find someone in your part of the world who’d be willing to let you try one or the other.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-24-2022, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

I have a previous generation X7, which is slightly smaller and thinner than the current model. It puts out an impressive amount of sound acoustically. If you liked your Ovation (I had one for 14 years), you will love the sound and feel of the X7.

If you can't find someone with that model locally that would let you play it, get an in-stock X7 direct from Emerald and you have no risk (other than shipping)... but considering the comfort and sound of the X7, you will never let it go.

When I bought my 3rd Emerald, I was deciding between an X10 and the newer X7 - Alistair told me, "If you want it for pure acoustic tone, go for the X7; if you want more electric options, go for the X10." Owning an X7, X10, and X20, I would say that is very good advice.
Old 08-24-2022, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzijeff View Post
Very tempted to go carbon fiber, and specifically to try an Emerald. I need a smaller guitar due to shoulder issues and I like a shorter scale for my old small hands. I’ve always been a wood guy (except for an old Ovation), and currently have a Larrivee 00 and a Taylor GS Mini. Looking for some feedback on the tone and volume of an X-7 compared to those size guitars. I play mostly at home for an audience of 1 (me). Rarely, I might play with a friend, or for a church service, but I am mainly interested in the unplugged performance. Soooo, your thoughts and experiences?
Where are you in Southeast PA? I’m in West Chester and own a current model X7. If you want to check it out for yourself, you’re welcome to. I’m on my third X7 - I had a previous gen X7 and liked it, got a current gen in 2018 and loved it. Sold it for reasons that made sense at the time, but then bought a new one earlier this year. It’s now more of a backup than a primary player, but I still really like it. I’ve had an X20 I liked a lot less - it’s a much brighter guitar than the X7, the X7 is more midrangey, warmer sounding. I recently got to play an X30 and that’s a really wonderful sounding guitar, but it’s also a BIG guitar and has a full scale length.

Shoot me a PM if you want to come check out my X7 - nothing like playing one yourself.

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 08-28-2022 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-24-2022, 04:57 PM

Love my x7!
It's loud. Sounds much bigger than a baby Taylor for sure. Almost sold my gen 2 because I accidentally bought a McPherson touring, but sold my amicus instead so I get to keep it!
I'm thinking I'll keep my x7 forever, literally.
Old 08-24-2022, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDaniel View Post
Love my x7!
It's loud. Sounds much bigger than a baby Taylor for sure. Almost sold my gen 2 because I accidentally bought a McPherson touring, but sold my amicus instead so I get to keep it!
I'm thinking I'll keep my x7 forever, literally.
I don’t mean to derail the thread, but how on earth did you ‘accidentally’ buy a McPherson?

This sounds like a skill I could use
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-24-2022, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

I owned an X7 for a couple of months. I bought it originally to play outside at campfires or to take along with me to friends houses etc. That never materialized so I sold it. It was a loud guitar with very nice tone….very unique as most carbon guitars are. It was extremely comfortable to play as I two have shoulder issues and had absolutely no problems playing it.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 08-24-2022, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
I've owned 2 X-7's, the latest version and the one before. I never really got along with it and sold it pretty quickly, I found the tone to be OK, but nothing special.
This was my experience, too. I had one for a few years and then sold it. The acoustic tone was pretty unspectacular.
Old 08-24-2022, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
I don’t mean to derail the thread, but how on earth did you ‘accidentally’ buy a McPherson?

This sounds like a skill I could use

I saw an amazing deal on reverb. Thought about it but then decided I shouldn't do it. Went back the next day and it was still there so I made an excellent offer (in my favor) that was not likely to get accepted.
Next day, I got an email congratulating me on getting my offer accepted. Lol!!
Old 08-25-2022, 07:12 PM

So a bottle of Jack Daniels was not involved?! 😉
Old 08-25-2022, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

I have had the opportunity to play a couple McPherson Touring models - they are nice guitars, but I think the X7 offers more; personally, I found the Touring to sound muddy compared to the X7; less punch. The X7 is far more comfortable, and it has a 24" scale (standard) compared to the 22 3/4" scale on the Touring. Both have a 1 3/4" nut width. And, if looks matter, the X7 is available with SO many great options and veneers.
Old 08-26-2022, 06:51 AM

A GS Mini was my "gateway" into smaller body and short scale, and I never looked back. But was intrigued by the carbon guitar and my interest in having it hanging on the wall for easy quick access, and ease of travel. A Cargo was first, and side-by-side with the Mini it was clearly superior (in my opinion), more, um, "rich" or maybe better "balanced." Recognizing how subjective that is, I was well impressed.

Next up I decided I wanted a wider yet nut and Emerald offers customization there. So an X7. Once again, and this time more dramatically, an improvement. I am impressed with the ability of these little guitars to sound...bigger (they are not, of course, a big dread and probably can't be expected compete in volume or tone). I don't need a lot of volume and have gone to silk/steel strings, which make the guitar sing though at slightly lower output.

The X7 is also probably the most comfortable guitar I have played, ever.
Old 08-26-2022, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

I have a previous generation X7 that I am considering selling if you decide to go in that direction.

Mitch
Old 08-26-2022, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I have had the opportunity to play a couple McPherson Touring models - they are nice guitars, but I think the X7 offers more; personally, I found the Touring to sound muddy compared to the X7; less punch. The X7 is far more comfortable, and it has a 24" scale (standard) compared to the 22 3/4" scale on the Touring. Both have a 1 3/4" nut width. And, if looks matter, the X7 is available with SO many great options and veneers.
Just played the touring back to back with the x7 to compare. Its amazing how similar they sound, but ultimately I prefer the tone of the touring ever so slightly. Its fuller and just sounds richer to my ears. I'm really just splitting hairs here, though.

The x7 is one of the most comfortable guitars ever made. That said, in this travel/parlor size, the touring really is not uncomfortable, the x7 is just ever more comfortable because of the bezels.

The neck is thinner on the Mcpherson. Some prefer it wider, some thinner.

Build quality of both is excellent, of course.

I'm playing a gen 2 x7. I've heard the gen 3 is larger. The gen 2 is a touch smaller than the touring in length.

Caveats:
1. the touring needs a string change.
2. the x7 has a metal brace in its body for a tonewood amp. Not sure if that is affecting the tone.

now the sable... that's my holy grail (I only own CF). will never go wood again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber