The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-10-2023, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Default Sire Guitars

Any Sire S3 (or other) owners? I am interested in your input.

I'm considering a back-up strat (especially since I acquired a new Fender Custom Pro Reverb amp..) very intrigued by the mostly positive reviews...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FDotDGRNCA
Old 12-10-2023, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingahPickah View Post

I'm considering a back-up strat (especially since I acquired a new Fender Custom Pro Reverb amp..) very intrigued by the mostly positive reviews...

I have two Sires -- S7 and L7. Astonishingly good build quality for the price, or any price for that matter. I love the frets and the rolled edges of the fingerboard. The L7 is my #1 and is sitting right next to me.

Some people have suggested that the S3 is the better choice over the S7 because of the lacquered fingerboard in the latter. The S3 is also an HSS configuration rather than the S7's SSS configuration. I can understand that recommendation, but I've never played an S3 to confirm.
Old 12-10-2023, 08:07 PM

I have the Sire HV 7 hollow body. Very pleased with the P-90's and the controlled feedback. Well made esp. for the price.
Old 12-12-2023, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

I don't have a Sire guitar, but I have two basses a V5 and a P5 (jazz and P-bass knock offs), and they are both top-notch in terms of feel and playability. Rolled fretboard edges, great necks... really good fretwork in general, and the fret ends on the P-bass have the spherical treatment.

Really impressive for the price.

Oh yeah, and the neck on the jazz base is perfectly quartered, which was just luck, but a nice bonus.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 01-05-2024, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I pulled the trigger on a Sire S3 Sunburst - Out for delivery to my local FedX office. Looking forward to checking it out.
Old 01-05-2024, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I pulled the trigger on a Sire S3 Sunburst - Out for delivery to my local FedX office. Looking forward to checking it out.
Congratulations! I think you'll like it.
Old 01-06-2024, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
Congratulations! I think you'll like it.
Holy Cannoli ... I haven't put it down all morning..

It really does look, feel and sound like a higher end axe.... I've already decided it's a keeper..

Last edited by FingahPickah; 01-06-2024 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-06-2024, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Holy Cannoli ... I haven't put in down all morning..

It really does look, feel and sound like a higher end axe.... I've already decided it's a keeper..
Good for you! Congratulations! The Sire guitars seem like great deals!

- Glenn
Old 01-06-2024, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Holy Cannoli ... I haven't put it down all morning..

Great news! They really are something, aren't they?
Old 01-17-2024, 05:29 PM

Interesting and timely thread. On the edge of ordering a Sire H7V because of the 43mm bone nut as compared to the H7 40mm nut. But I am concerned about the H7V having P90 pickups and the associated noise factor over the humbuckers that come on the H7.

Can anyone offer some thoughts on the P90 noise? Is it an issue or a rare occasion?

Thanks, Fred
Old 01-20-2024, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Last night was the maiden voyage; first band gig with the Sire S3 thru my Fender '68 Custom Pro Reverb ... Great combination. Love it !
Old 01-26-2024, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
I have two Sires -- S7 and L7. Astonishingly good build quality for the price, or any price for that matter. I love the frets and the rolled edges of the fingerboard. The L7 is my #1 and is sitting right next to me.
I have to amend my positive review of the Sire S7. The high E string on mine is now "sitaring". This means that when the string is played open, it does not produce a clear note. It produces a cluster of notes in a manner similar to a sitar. I've been playing guitars for 60 years and have never experienced this issue.

There is some disagreement on what causes sitaring. One explanation is that the string groove in the nut is too wide. The second, and the one I favor, is that the break angle over the nut is too shallow. The first diagnosis requires that a new nut be installed. The second diagnosis requires a string tree. Either way, I am not happy. [note: a string tree solved the problem]

My L7 remains my #1. I'd actually like to get another one.

Last edited by AX17609; 01-27-2024 at 02:30 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars