The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-09-2017, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northward View Post
With these 'tall orders' on audio I easily end up on a lager console, but recording myself at home and the odd rehearsal with my band, I want this thing to be a nice manageable size. Like an expensive sounding Portastudio with SSL/Neve quality.. [emoji39]
Others have said, and I'll concur... unless you need the mixer to double as an FOH mixer, I'd steer clear of all of them and just use a daw.

I had a Yamaha 01v back in the day. I bought it because I thought I needed a mixer. It didn't take me long to realize I didn't need a mixer. In fact, the mixer made everything harder to do and I didn't really get a big payoff on the sound end of things. The only advantage it provided was more inputs but these days there are better options.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 02-09-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Are you planning on recording onto a computer? If so, you will have your DAW up and running on the screen anyway so I don't quite understand what the benefit will be to have a hands-on analog mixer during recording (you basically just need to set the gain for your preamps and the level for your line level inputs and that can be done with basically any audio interface.

The benefit is that I don't NEED to have a computer with a DAW up and running. Surely it can't be that hard to understand that not everyone wants to stare at a computer sceen for everything... This is after all audio :-)

I can just use the mixer for playing music without turning on the computer and some also have the option of saving on a harddisk / recorder as wav files. Best of both worlds.

Last edited by Northward; 02-09-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Others have said, and I'll concur... unless you need the mixer to double as an FOH mixer, I'd steer clear of all of them and just use a daw.

I had a Yamaha 01v back in the day. I bought it because I thought I needed a mixer. It didn't take me long to realize I didn't need a mixer. In fact, the mixer made everything harder to do and I didn't really get a big payoff on the sound end of things. The only advantage it provided was more inputs but these days there are better options.
I have read simular user experiences from others (in other forums). Maybe the fact that most mixers of this size aren't very good sounding..? I guess most professionals buy dedicated units for everything and there is a good reason for that. But I'm quite sure there are many many home users like me who'd like more hands on control. Just look at the new Akai MPC's... People want to drop all that mouse clicking when making music.

Last edited by Northward; 02-09-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Humm you kind of want it all

But at the less expensive end have you considered something like the PreSonus Studiolive 16.0.2 mixer
http://www.presonus.com/products/StudioLive-16.0.2

Or at the upper end since you mentioned Neve

The Neve 5060 Center Piece
http://rupertneve.com/products/5060-centerpiece/

Presonus Studio One is a solid product. I have little faith in their hardware with their cheepo quality. Probably ok for live venues though.

That Neve 5060 looks the part, but doesn't seem to offer what I'm after.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:32 PM

whoops double post

Last edited by rockabilly69; 02-09-2017 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:37 PM

How about a Toft ATB (either the 4 or 8 model) mixer combined with a RME UFX. The Toft has pretty good pres and a killer EQ on each channel, inserts for whatever, and plenty of auxes! You could use the the ATB for the FOH stuff, and the UFX has enough input and outputs for routing that to a DAW when needed, or can be used in standalone mode saving to your USB hard drive of choice!!!!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ATB08

http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/fireface_ufx.php

Last edited by rockabilly69; 02-09-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:58 PM

My solution to this problem wanting something for recording, but also for playing "live" in the music room is the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, I also have their additional 8 mic input add on, so 16 analog inputs with both, but what I say goes for just the 18i20 by itself, only with 8 inputs

It so happens that mine is hooked up to a computer, but both Focusrite 18i20 and the Focusrite 8 additional mic imput units have their own power and operate stand alone as mixers without any computer. When I play "live" in my music space, the computer is immaterial. For recording of course I have all those tracks discretely recording. In years past I used a mixer into a four track interface, so each instrument was not recorded on it's own track, so harder to "fix it in the mix" afterward.

Two built in headphone outs. I jack two powered JBL EON speakers into the two default outputs on the 18i20, and these speaker can be muted for just ducked to a lower output level with an handy hardware button if you want/need to record at quiet levels. You can route to other outputs other ways with a computer based app, say for additional monitors, but again, this basic but simple to use setup is just built in to the 18i20 hardware, plug in and go.

The 18i20 has smallish knobs, not faders, but this isn't such a bad thing if you're looking to save desktop space. I'm usually playing and "engineering" so I'm not sitting there riding a bunch of faders anyway.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-09-2017, 06:58 PM

I also would not want to accept the compromises of insisting on an all in one solution. I'd get a Mackie 1202 vlz4 or similiar for my practice needs, and for spare pres, and then investigate separate components dedicated to my specific recording needs.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 02-09-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I have been concidering the SPL Crimson, but unfortunately there is a bit of a gamble with these smaller companies, with drivers.. (not so futureproof..).
I've had a Crimson for about a year now. Before that I had RME and Apogee. The Crimson is superior in every way regarding fidelity and conversion. Latency is not as good as RMEnbbut it's never been an issue - or I should say, I don't consider it an issue when all I have to do is increase the buffer size when mixing. It's a 10 second problem.

You must be aware that the Crimson is only a 2 input interface. If that works for you, do what I've done and get a USB controller for mixing so you can keep your hands off the mouse. I use an Alpha Track but I'm not sure they make them any longer.

Jim
Old 02-09-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
The benefit is that I don't NEED to have a computer with a DAW up and running. Surely it can't be that hard to understand that not everyone wants to stare at a computer sceen for everything... This is after all audio :-)

I can just use the mixer for playing music without turning on the computer and some also have the option of saving on a harddisk / recorder as wav files. Best of both worlds.

I'm confused about what you want, now. Modern recording would require a source going into an interface and then into a computer with a DAW running. The mixer/control surface is something you would add on for other reasons.

If you don't want to use a computer, then you should look at one of those all in one boxes that the old 4 and 8 track recorders became.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2017, 12:13 AM

Quote:
I'm sure that Toft Audio is quality, but it's large as houses..

I suspect that A & H smaller mixers not having the minerals for recording. They have rapports of noisy channels. The QU-16 looks good, but I'd like an (unborn) little brother.

Midas is now Behringer..
You are a funny guy - best of luck to you.

The 4 channel Toft is 30 cm. (11.5") wide.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:25 AM

I've been curious about the Soundcraft MTK series, but have not had an opportunity to use one. Would love to hear reports from those who have.

http://www.soundcraft.com/products/signature-12-mtk
Old 02-10-2017, 07:06 AM

I know you said Behringer was out, probably for good reason. I will say though, I picked up a UFX1204 several years ago for next to nothing, just expecting it to be a mixer I could haul around for small gigs and not worry if it got banged up.

It really is a great piece of gear, and does exactly what you are looking for. All channels can be sent to the DAW via either USB or firewire, records up to 24bit 96khz. The mic pres are suprisingly clean and quiet. And as a bonus it will even record straight to a USB stick if you want to record a gig through the board. the UFX1204 has four channels of mic pres, but they also make a bigger version with 8.

I have not taken care of it. I leave in a hot car for long stretches. I've spilled things on it, it's been dusty, and the thing is still ticking.

I know the name Behringer on it is a little unsatisfying, but just put a piece of masking tape over the name and write "Neve" on it with a sharpie, and you're all set.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:17 AM

An Allen & Heath WZ4 with the USB expansion card would also do what you want. There's also the option of combining a quality rackmount mixer with a rackmount audio interface and making your own all in one solution.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:32 AM

When I started home recording, I thought the same as you. I was using a little Boss digital recorder, and wanted all my gear to be hooked up all the time so I wasn't constantly switching cables out.
So I got a Mackie ProFX12 mixer. With a bunch of adapters and cable, I had my keyboards, DI from guitar amp, mics all plugged in all the time.
Of course, I could only send two (left and right) audio signals out to the recorder, but I didn't need more. The mixer also has USB out, so I could plug it directly to my computer to send audio to it. What was lacking in that method was good monitoring capabilities.
When I moved away from the Boss recorder, I was still using the mixer as an interface, but the latency in monitoring was noticeable, and I was only getting 16 bit digital conversion. I eventually got an inexpensive Tascam audio interface with 4 mic preamps and 2 line inputs.

Your idea of using the mixer to send the output to a hard disc is flawed - the output would not be WAVs, but you could send the audio output to a stand-alone recorder.

Basically, mixers are for live use. Audio interfaces are for recording.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

Last edited by MikeBmusic; 02-13-2017 at 01:52 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD