The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-30-2009, 10:29 AM

Default No End Pin Drilling/Reaming - Anyone Using Vintage Jack?

Since drilling or reaming a bigger end pin hole seems to be the most dangerous part of installing a pickup system, I figured I would have my pick-up system installed by a professional. Then I ran across the "Vintage Jack" on the K&K website (but made by Tapastring) which takes the regular end pin design and puts a 1/8" jack in it. You would use a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter to connect your guitar cable, but you wouldn't have to do any drilling/reaming of the end pin hole.

Has anyone seen this or used this? It sounds like a good alternative for the hobbyist to install a pickup themselves and not have the pressure of making the end pin hole bigger and possibly ruin their guitar or just having the option to leave the guitar in its original state.

http://www.tapastring.com/vintagejack.htm

Martin 00-18V (sitka/hog) Taylor GCce 12-fret LTD (all koa) Gibson Keb Mo (adi/hog) Cervantes Crossover I (cedar/pe) Breedlove Oregon Parlor LTD (all myrtle) Journey OF-660 (carbon fiber) Radial ToneBone PZ-Pre TC Helicon Play Acoustic Singular Sound Beat Buddy HK Audio Lucas Nano 608i Bose S1 Pro

Last edited by dragonfly66; 08-30-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:50 AM

I've got one on my 1955 Martin D18. I wanted to keep it as original as possible. The cable connection is 1/8" instead of 1/4". You'll either need an adapter or special cable. I put a 1/8" end on one of my cables. You've got to be sure and take the special cable to gigs. (don't ask )

I've got a plug inside the guitar for my LR Baggs M1. You can use one for any kind of pickup that doesn't need an endpin preamp.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody b View Post
I've got one on my 1955 Martin D18. I wanted to keep it as original as possible. The cable connection is 1/8" instead of 1/4". You'll either need an adapter or special cable. I put a 1/8" end on one of my cables. You've got to be sure and take the special cable to gigs. (don't ask )

I've got a plug inside the guitar for my LR Baggs M1. You can use one for any kind of pickup that doesn't need an endpin preamp.
Does the Vintage Jack stay in good? It looks like it would tend to slip out.

Martin 00-18V (sitka/hog) Taylor GCce 12-fret LTD (all koa) Gibson Keb Mo (adi/hog) Cervantes Crossover I (cedar/pe) Breedlove Oregon Parlor LTD (all myrtle) Journey OF-660 (carbon fiber) Radial ToneBone PZ-Pre TC Helicon Play Acoustic Singular Sound Beat Buddy HK Audio Lucas Nano 608i Bose S1 Pro
Old 08-30-2009, 12:11 PM

I havent had any problems. You can put a little powdered rosin on it to help it stay it. I don't know why powdered rosin, it's a suggestion from the vintage jack people.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification