The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-28-2009, 12:17 PM

Default what do you guys think about this?

i am thinking about doing a permanent install of my fishman neo-d single coil and using an end-pin jack. then getting an L.R. Baggs Gig Pro. that should do me until i can afford and justify a more expensive/extensive set-up.

i have just started playing out and feel like this set up would serve me well until later.

Thoughts?
Old 08-28-2009, 03:44 PM

I installed my LR Baggs M1 with a permanent end pin jack. Much cleaner and safer.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:03 PM

yeah, i get the safer part. i cant tell you how many times i have tripped over my cord and nearly made a fool of my self in front of a crowd. i cant seem to stand still while i play. i end up walking all over the place on stage without even realizing it. i seem to play better when i move around.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenniso View Post
i am thinking about doing a permanent install of my fishman neo-d single coil and using an end-pin jack. then getting an L.R. Baggs Gig Pro. that should do me until i can afford and justify a more expensive/extensive set-up.

i have just started playing out and feel like this set up would serve me well until later.

Thoughts?
Unless already own a Gig Pro, or you're getting a good price on a used GigPro, I think you'd do better with a used Para-DI. Otherwise, it sounds like a reasonable plan to make the most out of what you have.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:30 AM

Hey there tenniso,

I think it might be time to face the fact that you might have to spend a few dolllars to get semi decent amplified acoustic tone.

just my .02 worth.
but it took me a while to realise you cant do it on a shoestring and sound good on stage

Jasko
Taylor 110 w/ Dtar Wavelength & JJB 330
Blueridge BR-361
S.Yairi 1978 Rosewood/ Spruce Classical

1 Tiny Baby All Solid KOA Tennor UKE w/ Shadow UST
Old 08-29-2009, 11:08 AM

like RustyAxe, I'm not sure I'd get the gigpro... but the permanent mount makes a lot of sense. The neo-d is easily removed later and anything you mont later on will require the enlarged end-pin jack hole so you wouldn't be doing anything unnecessary.

I would recommend using an in-line jack inside the guitar so the mag can be easily removed if you ever need to ship the guitar or carry it via airplane. The added weight of a soundhole pup can be disastrous if the case is dropped or hit hard. I use Sunrises, which are heavier than your neo-d, in my guitars and always remove them when traveling.

here's a photo of the inline jacks inside the guitar.

that's me on guitar
Old 08-29-2009, 11:54 AM

i ended up getting the L.R. Baggs Para D I. i am super stoked about it. i got it new from guitar center for $134. i am installing the end pin jack and the neo-d today. i will let you guys know how it goes. thanks for all the replies and advice. you guys are the coolest!
Old 08-29-2009, 02:51 PM

i just finished installing the jack and pickup. it turned out really good. i tried out my baggs para di, but i only have a vox pathfinder practice amp for electric guitars so i am not getting a good representation of what its gonna sound like at open mic. however, i can tell that the PARA DI is going to give me alot more control over my tone and the XLR out is going to be useful.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification