The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-29-2019, 11:03 AM

You've got to find a Bourgeois vintage D or a Slope D custom to try! Their necks are fantastic and the tone just speaks for itself!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 10-29-2019, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

I recognize the anti-Yairi sentiment due to some factors extra to the guitars themselves, but i would check out the DYM60 with Honduran Mahogany.
They MAP for $2699, but I bet you could get a dealer to sell you one for $2299.

I spent $5400 in 2013 for a custom spec Santa Cruz OM from Redwood Acoustics, with Honduran back and sides and an Italian Spruce top. That was a great guitar that I sold last year. My Yairi is every bit as good a guitar, if not better. I will say, if you like a dry sound, this is not it. It is overtone rich which kind of surprised me since it has an Adi top paired with the Honduran hog. As for workmanship, it is easily the match of the SCGC.
If resale is a hangup, consider what you're spending up front the guitar. Personally, mine is impressing me so much that I can't see parting with it, so that's not a factor.

Best of luck in your pursuit!
2022 Gibson J-45 Studio Rosewood
2020 Cordoba C12 SP
2018 K. Yairi DYM60HD
2013 Martin 000-28VS
2011 Taylor GS Mini
Old 10-29-2019, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Martin are "the" dreadnought designers and make very fine guitars, although their number of "versions" are confusing.

Bourgeois make great guitars, and I've heard good things about Thiompsons but never met one.

FWIW I have a Collings DS1 (12 fret dread sitka/hog, and a Ds1ASB (adi/hog).

The plain ol' DS1 (2008) is by far the loudest guitar I own. It lives up to the Collings ethos of even balance, so it doesn't have the bass bias that Martin dreads are known for. It was my "bluegrass" guitar for a few years, well, enough to need a refret a while ago.

The Ds1Asb (2003) is the sweetest tonality I've ever heard from a hog, and rivals my DS2h (sitka/EIR) for complexity.

The only thing I'd swap for them is more Collings. (actually, probably wouldn't).
Old 10-29-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoSTL View Post
I love love love my Santa Cruz d12.....
If I took up a search for a spruce/mahogany D, this would be my first stop.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Martin are "the" dreadnought designers and make very fine guitars, although their number of "versions" are confusing.

Bourgeois make great guitars, and I've heard good things about Thiompsons but never met one.

FWIW I have a Collings DS1 (12 fret dread sitka/hog, and a Ds1ASB (adi/hog).

The plain ol' DS1 (2008) is by far the loudest guitar I own. It lives up to the Collings ethos of even balance, so it doesn't have the bass bias that Martin dreads are known for. It was my "bluegrass" guitar for a few years, well, enough to need a refret a while ago.

The Ds1Asb (2003) is the sweetest tonality I've ever heard from a hog, and rivals my DS2h (sitka/EIR) for complexity.

The only thing I'd swap for them is more Collings. (actually, probably wouldn't).

I think you might like Collings ! Which Collings slothead was do you find yourself grabbing the most often ? With Tyler Childers and similar folks playing them these days I’m betting they are going up in popularity although I couldn’t live with a neck that wide (or changing strings vs on a solid headstock after all the years). Happy picking and thanks for the comments.

Last edited by bluemoon; 10-29-2019 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Slot not sloth

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion