The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-27-2019, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

That’s definitely in poor taste on the part of the buyer, I would be peeved too. If you’re gonna try to negotiate an offer on Reverb or eBay, you ask your questions first before you’ve committed to a purchase. Definitely sounds like the buyer got cold feet.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Can you post in your listing 'Please inquire and ask all questions first before making an offer or committing to purchase.'? I do that myself. And of course, sometimes a really good deal will get sold before all the questions are answered but at least that way, you honor the seller.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:51 PM
Charter Member

Not a "good" buyer,.. ask questions before buying.

Maybe it was your answer that changed his mind, gotta consider that possibility.

It's a pain when you figure something's sold and it's not. But as others have written, goes with the territory. It's pretty easy to relist and the folks at Reverb seem to be on the ball, if a sale doesn't go through you won't incur fees.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:15 AM
Charter Member

That blows. As a buyer, I've had sellers decide after a purchase that they sold to low, then refund me and re-list at a higher price. Even though these are clear violations of Reverbs TOA, complaints to Reverb went unanswered.

In this case, I'd be inclined to let the buyer hang in limbo. Since there is no actual "cancel this purchase" button and the TOA is pretty straight forward about your commitment when you hit "purchase", I'd ignore his messages and when he doesn't pay, report him to Reverb and let them sort out his welching. At least it puts the onus on Reverb and not the seller to deal with a malignant buyer.

Last edited by robey; 10-28-2019 at 03:35 AM.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:18 AM

Location: 4 miles from Abbey Road, 5 miles from Page's Gibson(maybe), 120 miles from the Richards's mansion(I think)

I am not a lawyer but I would have thought entering into an agreement to buy an item constitutes in itself some kind of legal contract. Whether it would worthwhile pursuing the buyer for breach of contract is another matter
Old 10-28-2019, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
It sucks but it happens. Hit re-list and try again.
I agree......
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-28-2019, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

NEWS FLASH: Life doesn't always go the way you want it.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:21 AM

It seems to me that more and more buyers expect a commercial experience within a private sale. I've had few occasions where someone just wanted to play a guitar, I'm sure without any real expectation of buying it. One guy played my guitar for a full half hour, then said thanks and walked off.

I'm not sure I agree with the concept of return privileged, especially when a sale is made face to face. I've had a couple local sales contact me three days later and want a refund because it didn't sound the same at home as it did when we met in person.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

This catalogue of bad experiences is making me feel better about the 20% consignment fee I pay when selling a guitar. I sold one on my own and the raft of stupid questions was more than enough to change my mind about doing it.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJE" View Post
I am not a lawyer but I would have thought entering into an agreement to buy an item constitutes in itself some kind of legal contract. Whether it would worthwhile pursuing the buyer for breach of contract is another matter
You would be incorrect. It might not be moral or ethical behavior, but it isn’t a breach of contract. Where’s the contract?
Besides, by the time you pay attorneys fees, you could have probably bought a couple of guitars.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-28-2019, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Here is an update.

I emailed reverb and explained that the buyer had cancelled. Note the email exchange with the buyer was through Reverb emails. I assume they can read them. I got a nice email this morning stating that my sales post was back up and they bumped it to be decent about my troubles. I am actually impressed with the ease and expediency of the whole interaction thing with Reverb. I'll have to reevaluate.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-28-2019, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
You would be incorrect. It might not be moral or ethical behavior, but it isn’t a breach of contract. Where’s the contract?
Besides, by the time you pay attorneys fees, you could have probably bought a couple of guitars.
As a practical consideration I agree but as a technical breach of contract I must disagree. There is an offer and an acceptance of that offer, aka a meeting of the minds, and that along with Reverb policies shown below constitutes a contract. Of course, if the individual making the offer is <18 or otherwise unable to enter into a binding contract, that's a whole other thing...

Once your offer is accepted, or you accept a seller's counteroffer, the listing will be considered purchased by you. You'll get an email notification as well as an "Unpaid Order" notification in the upper right-hand corner of Reverb. You'll then be able to check out and pay via the orders page in the "Buying" section of your Reverb account.

Abandoning orders after your offer is accepted creates extremely frustrating experiences for sellers, so Reverb frowns upon it strongly. Buyers with multiple abandoned orders are subject to negative feedback or account suspension. Please only make an offer on an item if you intend on following through with your purchase.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-28-2019, 07:32 AM

Location: 4 miles from Abbey Road, 5 miles from Page's Gibson(maybe), 120 miles from the Richards's mansion(I think)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Apologies for the incorrect advice. I'd always assumed that when I bid for something on ebay I am entering into a legally binding agreement- but apparently that is not the case.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJE" View Post
Apologies for the incorrect advice. I'd always assumed that when I bid for something on ebay I am entering into a legally binding agreement- but apparently that is not the case.

you would be correct ebay contracts are legally binding and presumably reverb too see here. Not sure it would be worth to sue someone over not paying but your contract is legally binding.
https://esellercafe.com/seller-must-...sting-on-ebay/
Old 10-28-2019, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Here is an update.

I emailed reverb and explained that the buyer had cancelled. ... I got a nice email this morning stating that my sales post was back up and they bumped it to be decent about my troubles. I am actually impressed with the ease and expediency of the whole interaction thing with Reverb. I'll have to reevaluate.
There you go... the world really can be a reasonable place, sometimes.

I've had this with theBay... you just have to take it as part of the deal, when someone pulls out. You'll get your 'final value fee' refund from theBay, then just sit tight for the next buyer to come along... 99% of them are good people.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion