The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-16-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
I actually just ordered a Schatten HFN passive and look forward to trying it.
I've never seen or heard of those. Looking forward to a review on your X30 installation.

Quote:
I put an unbleached bone saddle in the X30 when I removed the Anthem and noticed the bass to be punchier and the trebles to be crisper and overall increased sustain.
Is the bone saddle compensated? Where'd ya get it?
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 12-16-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
I've never seen or heard of those. Looking forward to a review on your X30 installation.
The Schatten's are not as well known as Bagg's, Fishman, or K&K, etc. There's not much info out there on them but generally speaking they are very easy to install and are similar in sound to a K&K but more "mic like" due to the design. I will most definitely let you know my thoughts on it when I receive it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
Is the bone saddle compensated? Where'd ya get it?
Yes the bone saddle is compensated and I bought it from MacNichol guitars off Amazon. One guy there in a review compared it to Bob Colossi's saddles so I took a chance and bought one. Just needed to sand it down for height a little bit, the other specs were a perfect match to the stock tusq saddle. I'll post a link to the exact one I ordered. I actually just ordered 2 more. One for my future X20 and one to experiment with for staining.

https://www.amazon.com/Unbleached-Sa...oding=UTF8&me=

Last edited by GuitarLuva; 12-16-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:13 PM

I received the Schatten HFN pickup yesterday, however, I won't get a chance to install it until the weekend. Looks like a pretty easy job though! It comes with double sided tape and putty. If I like it though I'll be gluing it in.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000 View Post
I almost never play unplugged and I am happy to miss a pick up on some occasions, in exchange for a better acoustic sound. All my carbon fiber guitars and wood guitars are acoustic only. To place something between the bottom of the saddle and the guitar in my opinion really damages the sound, some guitars show it more, some less. One more thing: I only had one Emerald recently, the X7 and I noticed that with that guitar a bone saddle really increased the low end.

I don't like anything between the bottom of the saddle and the guitar either.
I did have K&Ks installed on two of my Emeralds, but I very rarely plug in.

Going from the Graph Tech Black TUSQ XL saddle to a bone saddle sounds intriguing.
If you don't mind me asking....
You mentioned it increased the low end, do you think the mid or high end range changed at all ?
Overall volume level ?
Sustain ?
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 12-20-2018 at 05:48 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
I don't like anything between the bottom of the saddle and the guitar either.
I did have K&Ks installed on two of my Emeralds, but I very rarely plug in.

Going from the Graph Tech Black TUSQ XL saddle to a bone saddle sounds intriguing.
If you don't mind me asking....
You mentioned it increased the low end, do you think the mid or high end range changed at all ?
Overall volume level ?
Sustain ?
I mentioned some of those things in post#14 in this thread. To add to what I said I think it just gave a more overall better balanced tone. Never noticed a volume increase though. I think it's worth doing for sure. Aestically I preferred the look of the black tusq. I'm going to attempt to stain the bone saddle black in the very near future (maybe over the xmas holidays).
Old 12-20-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I mentioned some of those things in post#14 in this thread. To add to what I said I think it just gave a more overall better balanced tone. Never noticed a volume increase though. I think it's worth doing for sure. Aestically I preferred the look of the black tusq. I'm going to attempt to stain the bone saddle black in the very near future (maybe over the xmas holidays).
Thank you for the information.
Looks like a worth while project.

I too would prefer a black saddle rather than a white saddle.

Do you have any acorns in your area ?
All my acorns are under at least foot of snow right now.
He's are a couple of links to a possible solution of changing bone from white to black, using acorns.

https://www.wikihow.com/Dye-Bone
https://www.ehow.com/how_7202756_dye-bone.html

A concern I see in this dye recipe with acorns....
Vinegar is one of the ingredients used with steel wool to produce an iron salt solution.
I question how much the acid in vinegar may be diluted when mixed with the steel wool.
Mild acid, like vinegar can soften bone.
Vinegar will turn chicken bones to a soft rubbery texture over several days of soaking as it reacts to the calcium in the bone.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 12-21-2018 at 05:08 AM. Reason: added concern about vinegar and bone
Old 12-20-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Yes, thanks for the info,... an inexpensive, easy (except maybe for the dying), reversible project. White would spoil the look of a black trimmed Emerald.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:46 PM

Default Dyeing Bone

Here's another approach using simple die:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/...torial.868446/
Old 12-20-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCA View Post
Yes, thanks for the info,... an inexpensive, easy (except maybe for the dying), reversible project. White would spoil the look of a black trimmed Emerald.
Thanks for the info I do happen to have an acorn tree in my front yard, just can't get any this time of year. I'm going to try black keda dye when I do get the chance though I think that should do the trick.

Last edited by GuitarLuva; 12-21-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:00 PM

For those who were interested, I installed the Schatten pickup last night in my X30 and did some messing around. Very happy so far. I'll update as I get more time with it. I gave more details in another thread which I'll link so I don't have to type all that stuff out again. It's post #55.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...42#post5926542
Old 12-22-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
For those who were interested, I installed the Schatten pickup last night in my X30 and did some messing around. Very happy so far. I'll update as I get more time with it. I gave more details in another thread which I'll link so I don't have to type all that stuff out again. It's post #55.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...42#post5926542
I noticed in post #17 of this thread you mentioned Schatten are like K&K but more "mic like" due to the design.

Your link to the other thread was a very interesting read
and you mentioned the "mic like" sound you experienced from the Schatten HFN installed in your X30.

Maybe I should consider a Schatten HFN rather than a K&K mini for my X10 ?

Emerald prep'd the sound board of my X10, with the possibility I may install a K&K mini.

Do you think the K&K prep work of my X10, as shown in the attached photo, would hinder the installation or performance, of a Schatten HFN pickup ?

(Sorry for the blurred image it was the best I could manage with my GoPro.)
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 12-22-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
I noticed in post #17 of this thread you mentioned Schatten are like K&K but more "mic like" due to the design.

Your link to the other thread was a very interesting read
and you mentioned the "mic like" sound you experienced from the Schatten HFN installed in your X30.

Maybe I should consider a Schatten HFN rather than a K&K mini for my X10 ?

Emerald prep'd the sound board of my X10, with the possibility I may install a K&K mini.

Do you think the K&K prep work of my X10, as shown in the attached photo, would hinder the installation or performance, of a Schatten HFN pickup ?
In my opinion, I think the prep work for the K&K would be a perfect fit for the Schatten. I have nothing against K&K's at all and wouldn't deter anyone from getting one, but they are no doubt more tedious to install than the Schatten HFN. I wish I still had a K&K equipped guitar around to compare the two sound wise. I believe the K&K output will still be a tad hotter compared to the new Schatten, but I'm really digging that clarity from the Schatten right now. You're obviously going to need some sort of preamp for either of them and there's probably no better match right now than a Tonedexter!
Old 12-23-2018, 01:39 PM

Hey I just did another update in the Schatten thread with the putty install...check it out it's post #67.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...=530752&page=5
Old 01-23-2019, 07:52 AM

Well to resurrect this thread I received an email from Kevin saying that the "mystery veneer" I chose has a crack in it and is unusable. I'm a little bummed out at the moment as I fell in love with that particular piece. I have a pic of the entire sheet so I requested to get some more pics sent to me with the template.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well to resurrect this thread I received an email from Kevin saying that the "mystery veneer" I chose has a crack in it and is unusable. I'm a little bummed out at the moment as I fell in love with that particular piece. I have a pic of the entire sheet so I requested to get some more pics sent to me with the template.
That IS a bummer! Good luck with selecting a new one. I hope you find something that you like equally as much as the first one!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber