The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-25-2018, 11:19 AM
Guest 928

Default X10 thin bodied electric

We're getting close. The 10 will be similar to the X7 thin-bodied electric; a bit larger in the bouts, standard scale, Graphtech pickup. I was going with the royal ebony (as with the 7), but given the ravishing choice of veneers at Alistair's shop I've left the choice to him. Not only am I getting a cool guitar, I am getting a surprise.

But no, I'm not impatiently waiting. Just taking my time, no hurry, it's all good, not anxious at all, that is not sweat on my forehead, and I am not sitting on my porch awaiting the postman.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:50 AM

Could you give a little more detail about your custom order?
I am actually thinking of ordering a thin body x7 with dual pickup from x10.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:57 AM

Hi Evan,

I'm glad you are able to not dwell on your electric eclectic 10. Keeping it out of your mind shouldn't be too hard. Just don't compare it to the guitar you have in your hand to play today nor think about it when you are taking a walk or sitting on your porch cursing the lack of mail once again.

I wish I could pass the time as well as you as I sit here and imagine myself driving along a narrow road through the beautiful fall countryside heading to the next thing on my itinerary.

Keep the faith and I will take a picture if I ever get there.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 09-25-2018, 12:37 PM
Guest 928

CQ;

If you do a search for "New Nylon Electric" and go to page 10 you will see pictures of the X7-OSN thin bodied electric. It is a short scale (which I like a lot), has the Barbera pickup (which I also like), and is a marvelous instrument.

The X10-OSN, thin-bodied nylon string electric will have the X10 bout size, a standard scale and the Graphtech pickup. The bout size was my primary reason for moving to the 10 build--the standard scale and Graphtech were selected on the basis of Alistair's advice.

Your best bet in designing what you want is to correspond with Alistair. There is also another X7-based thin-bodied electric on this forum, but I'm not exactly sure where--a search should bring it up--its body treatment is different from mine and looks rather fetching.

Mot; Thank you for helping me keep the 10 out of my mind. I look forward to that picture at the end of the road.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Say, aren't you the guy who doesn't fret (yes, pun intended) over the wait? The antagonist... the bear poker... the angel of angst? A bit of sweat beading up on your forehead? Yes, I can see that from here.

For the record, it was that sweet custom X10 of yours that kept me thinking about ordering a red one with a custom scale. Oh, I kept it in the back of my mind, until the Emerald "unveiling."

For all the calming influence you've imparted on this forum, let me be the one to do likewise for you: I'm sure it will be sometime within the next 2 to 14 months for your build to get started. I heard Alistair talking about using the pallet that the last order of gorgeous veneers were shipped in for something where the owner said, "Surprise me."

I think I get my sense of humor from my Irish grandmother.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:00 PM
Guest 928

Captain;

Antagonist? Bear poker? Angel of angst? How harsh! You must be thinking of someone else.

Yes, I know that the red 10 had you in a dither--the 10 electric will keep you up at night, antagonized, poked, covered in angst. You'll be such a mess your cat won't sleep next to you anymore. I feel so sorry for your wife.

FYI, the build is already in process and Alistair has reserved his best, most astounding, veneer for the 10. He might even deliver it by hand and teach me how to pay guitar.

Oh, finally got to your final line. I see; that was humor. I take all that bad stuff back.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
He might even deliver it by hand and teach me how to pay guitar.
Most pay me not to guitar too, but I dither. Maybe with some (long bits of) practice it will someday be the other way around. Congratulations on being on the positive income-playing end of these instruments sooner than later.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 09-25-2018, 04:17 PM

Think I’ll play my new X10 now.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-25-2018, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Think I’ll play my new X10 now.
Another week or so, and I might be able to say the same thing. Well, depending on the Postal Service.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:12 PM

Hi, Evan

That is a beautiful looking X7-OSN. Super jealous
Old 09-25-2018, 06:17 PM
Guest 928

Mot; Yes, these darned guitars have become my one endulgence, other than drinking and smoking.

Kramster; Once again, you have moved to the front of the line. I think you have a real goody in your hands. Some sound, please.

Captain; you are going to be so happy.

CQ; And well you might be jealous. The most astounding thing about the 7 thin-bodied electric is that is has a strong acoustic voice. Surprised the heck out of me. On the basis of that voice, I'm thinking that the 10 thin-body will have an incredible acoustic voice.

You might also be jealous of the electronics on the 7. The Barbera pickup is about as clean as it gets. Combined with the active pickup and the volume and tone controls, the 7 had tone and projection that compete with any electric nylon strung guitar that I have played--and I've played most of them.

I suspect the 10 will be astounding. The longer scale and the wider bouts will enhance acoustic presence. The Graphtech, active pickup should make for an even more pronounced and clean presence.

But no, I'm not sitting here awaiting for just another piece of Emerald magic.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:19 PM

I'm going to go put my test set of Elixir strings on my X20 now. I'm supposed to log play time for five weeks, and then complete a survey with comments.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post

Captain; you are going to be so happy.

But no, I'm not sitting here awaiting for just another piece of Emerald magic.
Evan, my friend, I am happy. I have the love of a good woman. My grown daughter thinks I am the best Dad in the world. Rufus the cat agrees with my daughter. I have the means and freedom to travel. I never figured I'd live this long, so every day is a bonus. I have more guitars than I deserve and had the opportunity at an earlier time in my life to make my living making music... and these days I get to make music whenever the mood strikes me, and no schedule.

I don't need a specific guitar for happiness, but I am looking forward to that X10. Truth be told, picking up any of my guitars takes me to a happy place. I hardly ever have GAS anymore, but I do expect good things from the incoming X10.

And what are you doing while you're waiting??
Old 09-26-2018, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Evan, my friend, I am happy. I have the love of a good woman. My grown daughter thinks I am the best Dad in the world. Rufus the cat agrees with my daughter. I have the means and freedom to travel. I never figured I'd live this long, so every day is a bonus. I have more guitars than I deserve and had the opportunity at an earlier time in my life to make my living making music... and these days I get to make music whenever the mood strikes me, and no schedule.
Sorry you have to live like this.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-27-2018, 05:56 PM
Guest 928

Jim, You paid your dues, you've been around, you are in a good spot and I think you'll love your new 10. Looking forward to what your wife and cat think about the new addition.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber