The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-11-2017, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

As cool as they come... Major impressive...!
Old 05-09-2017, 12:35 PM

Been a little while but Ted super busy at the moment with one thing or another, but finally starting to finish my guitar off so not long now...just two photos for just now showing the bridge in Brazilian Rosewood.
As soon as I get more from Ted I will get them posted
Many thanks for all the nice comments regarding the build...I am indeed a very lucky man and count myself very fortunate.

So here goes

All the best everyone
Scott

Last edited by Scottish0177; 07-09-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:59 AM

You are fortunate indeed. This is just beautiful. There's nothing about it that isn't right.

Collings OM2H Adi / Braz
Doerr Legacy Swiss / Braz
Franklin OM German / Braz
Franklin OM Carpathian / Braz
Goodall GC Italian / Honduran
Goodall GC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Afr. Blackwood
McPherson 5.0 Full Koa
McPherson 5.0XP Adi / Braz
Martin D-28GE Adi / Braz
Old 05-11-2017, 10:10 AM

Tasteful choices all around.

Love the rosette that you picked and the back and sides look incredible.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish0177 View Post

Voicing the top just right and the byproduct of all those shaved braces

The most interesting Chladni test I've seen. These Swedes...I tell ya, what a creative bunch. Not quite sure how to read that test (is that the ring mode?) but I'm sure it means something to Ted.

And by the way, what a lovely guitar!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 05-11-2017, 12:14 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
The most interesting Chladni test I've seen. These Swedes...I tell ya, what a creative bunch. Not quite sure how to read that test (is that the ring mode?) but I'm sure it means something to Ted.

And by the way, what a lovely guitar!

Steve
Lol...yep those vibrations showing up an unusual concentration over the proposed location of the bridge...

Yep...those Swedes indeed!!!!
Old 05-11-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Tasteful choices all around.

Love the rosette that you picked and the back and sides look incredible.
Many thanks.Tasteful certainly sums up Teds work
Ted has mentioned a few times how it has been difficult capturing the woods colour so looking forward to some finished shots and we can really see how she looks

Take it easy
Old 05-12-2017, 03:02 AM

I just commitionned an Astrand Guitar for 2020-2021... The wait will be long, but I'm 100% sure it'll be totally worth it !!

Avalon Custom Auditorium Fan Fret Sinker Redwood/Ziricote
Furch 34 SR Stahl (custom) - Sitka/EIR
Classical Hanika 58CF - Alpine/Cocobolo
Yamaha LS16 - Engel/EIR
Alvarez MSD1 - Cedar/Mahogany
Breedlove C25 - Cedar/Mahogany
K-Country 1975 - Sitka/Mahogany
upcoming :
Michaud Made OM-R - ARW/ Swiss "moon"
Astrand A-OM - MRW - Euro Bearclaw
Old 05-12-2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grosskate View Post
I just commitionned an Astrand Guitar for 2020-2021... The wait will be long, but I'm 100% sure it'll be totally worth it !!
Hi,that's great and you definitely won't be disappointed..Ted has mentioned to me previously that his work load and the amount of orders he has is going to keep him busy for a while so I can easily believe 2020/21

Don't know if you are ordering direct from Ted or through a dealer.

Anyway the wait begins for you,I feel your pain.
Ted is fantastic and easy to work with,just tell him what you want and between the two of you you'll end up with something very special and well worth the wait.
So many great luthiers to choose from in this golden age of custom built instruments but Ted has to be right up there with the best.

All the very best and I look forward to the build thread when the build finally gets going

Scott

Any questions you have that you think I might be able to help with then get in touch and I will try and help out.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish0177 View Post
Hi,that's great and you definitely won't be disappointed..Ted has mentioned to me previously that his work load and the amount of orders he has is going to keep him busy for a while so I can easily believe 2020/21

Don't know if you are ordering direct from Ted or through a dealer.

Anyway the wait begins for you,I feel your pain.
Ted is fantastic and easy to work with,just tell him what you want and between the two of you you'll end up with something very special and well worth the wait.
So many great luthiers to choose from in this golden age of custom built instruments but Ted has to be right up there with the best.

All the very best and I look forward to the build thread when the build finally gets going

Scott

Any questions you have that you think I might be able to help with then get in touch and I will try and help out.

Hi Scott,

Thanks that’s sweet of you.

Yes a long but worth wait.

I’ve been in touch quite a lot already with Ted. He always takes time to reply with as much detail and information as possible. I confirm he is a really nice guy, super easy to contact and discuss with, and absolutely passionate about what he’s doing. I’m sure I made the right call.

I will probably visit him in his workshop in about two months. That will allow me to select and reserve the woods he’ll use for my build and discuss more, although we far from the time he’ll start working on my guitar.

Your guitar is absolutely stunning, we rarely see such nice Brazilian rosewood sets nowadays. When are you supposed to get the guitar ?

Avalon Custom Auditorium Fan Fret Sinker Redwood/Ziricote
Furch 34 SR Stahl (custom) - Sitka/EIR
Classical Hanika 58CF - Alpine/Cocobolo
Yamaha LS16 - Engel/EIR
Alvarez MSD1 - Cedar/Mahogany
Breedlove C25 - Cedar/Mahogany
K-Country 1975 - Sitka/Mahogany
upcoming :
Michaud Made OM-R - ARW/ Swiss "moon"
Astrand A-OM - MRW - Euro Bearclaw
Old 05-15-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grosskate View Post
Hi Scott,

Thanks that’s sweet of you.

Yes a long but worth wait.

I’ve been in touch quite a lot already with Ted. He always takes time to reply with as much detail and information as possible. I confirm he is a really nice guy, super easy to contact and discuss with, and absolutely passionate about what he’s doing. I’m sure I made the right call.

I will probably visit him in his workshop in about two months. That will allow me to select and reserve the woods he’ll use for my build and discuss more, although we far from the time he’ll start working on my guitar.

Your guitar is absolutely stunning, we rarely see such nice Brazilian rosewood sets nowadays. When are you supposed to get the guitar ?
Hey...Should have guitar in the next couple of weeks, but Ted has a lot on at the moment so have told him I'm in no hurry and I will get it whenever.

Sweden just a quick flight from Scotland so should really make an excuse to head over and say hello to him in person at some point.

In the next few years you may be tempted by other makers,but stick with it and I garauntee you will not be disappointed...just think 3 or 4 years to practice

Take it easy
Scott
Old 06-07-2017, 02:47 PM

Hi everyone...With one thing and another the build of the guitar unfortunately slipped a little from the timings originally planned, but Ted is back to work with a vengeance and he sent over a few pics.
Ted has set the final neck angle and alignment, and has been doing the final machine buffing...He will do the very last polish by hand just before the guitar is strung up.
The bridge goes on tomorrow and he will start to level, crown and polish the frets...Getting really close now and super excited to see the final photos.

Last edited by Scottish0177; 07-11-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Wow--that's awesome!

Would love to try one of Ted's guitars someday...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 06-08-2017, 12:23 PM

Here's some process pics of the bridge getting glued on!
The bridge placement has been measured and the outlines taped and Ted is carefully removing the lacquer with a chisel to make sure the bridge gets glued wood to wood.

Lacquer removed and it's ready for gluing time!

Instead of using traditional clamps which can be a hassle to fit through the soundhole and clamp to the bridge Ted uses this little clamping jig, according to Ted it just makes life a little easier...It's got 2 threaded bolts going through the 2 outside string holes through the bridge and its tightened from the inside.

Last edited by Scottish0177; 07-11-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:11 AM

Really great build thread which completely documents Ted's wonderful attention, if not obsession, to detail. Notwithstanding all that, you are going to end up with a gobsmackingly great guitar. I am fortunate to have one of Ted's instruments and it gets a great deal of attention, despite world class competition from Stefan Sobell, Steve Fischer and Ralph Bown. Ralph has seen/inspected my Astrand. His pronouncment: "Clean as a whistle" kind of says it all.

That said, I'm expecting another guitar from the equally great Tom Sands later this month. Life, as they say, is good !

Cheers,

Ian

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop