The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-06-2015, 05:53 AM

Default Removing neck with the back off, questions.

I've never removed a neck before with the back off of the guitar. Any suggestions or hints are appreciated. Should it be different, easier? I can not find much searching the web.

-maybe drilling into the neck pocket from a different location than the fret.

-the guitar is not as stable with the back off, concerned about wiggling the neck loose without doing damage.

Thanks

Last edited by BB Brown; 09-06-2015 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:55 AM

Default back off neck removal

I recently had the back off of a 1952 Gibson that had a split/broken back , too much belly, missing braces and needed neck reset. When I got the back off, repaired it and replaced several braces, I pushed in on the neck block (with neck still on) and saw that I could change the neck angle, just be holding the neck with pressure, so I sanded down the rims and back to match, pulled back the neck an glued it back down. With the help of a "JLD bridge doctor" (that I made), it's back and playable again.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:37 AM

On a cheap guitar it is not a big issue IMO resetting the neck angle by relocating the back and reshaping.

But on a quality guitar I would not do this process personally, you change the side angles, put preload into the waist area and so forth.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair