The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-09-2019, 12:47 PM

Default Fingerpicking vs Nut Width

I have a wonderful 000 with rich, warm tonal characteristics, like for me the Holy Grail of tone. But I can't get used to the wide neck, it measures 1 13/16" but it feels like 3". A "V" shape neck. Owned it a year but don't play it enough.....
* Little kids playing classical guitars with tiny hands do great with wide necks
* Nearly all classical guitars have wider necks and they nearly always fingerpick
* Many small body & parlor guitars, emphasizing fingerpicking, are 1 13/16"
* So it surely seems apparent that wide necks favor serious fingerpickers
* I afraid I will regret selling this guitar, but have considered other 12 fret 000 guitars with 1 3/4" neck

1) is it best to just play mainly 1 neck size, so you get used to it
2) my left hand fingers don't mute a string as often, I like the spacing, but....
3) should I play only this 000 when fingerpicking, for 6 months?

UPDATE: Several responses emphasized to go with what "feels" good to you. But this is not always true, the most comfortable feel for me has always been
1 11/16" nut width, it's like fresh air, very comfortable to hold and my left hand feels at home, however, the left fingers do not do so well with
fingerpicking, like when plucking 2 strings together, clumsy and muted notes......(my fingers are not thick).

Last edited by calstang66; 02-10-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:03 PM

Hmmmm, the size and shape of the neck is unknown so it is hard to say, exactly.

I have three custom made 1 7/8th" nuts. The key is that I carefully specified the slim neck contours. And I play 100% fingerstyle, lots of hammers and pull offs, sometimes over large fret reaches.

Now I came from 20 years of classical playing, and I play a lot of complex fingerstyle so I was highly motivated to accommodate to this width, plus I have very large hands and wide fingers.

So many variables, the main thing is to feel relaxed and have fun playing whatever speaks to you.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

When I was younger (and had practiced a lot less), I really didn't care about string spacing and nut widths. Now, many years later, my left hand fingers actually do not like anything less than 1 3/4. My right hand, either fingerpicking or flatpicking, can adapt with a bit of practice, but my left hand remains firmly entrenched in the 1 3/4 camp.

Tone, style of playing, genre, etc, has nothing to do with it.

CK
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 02-09-2019, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Ahhh...the neck size question and what to do?

I am only going to speak from my personal experience. Like you I have had a guitar that was my “one” in terms of tone - it was glorious. I sold every other guitar I had and only had the “one” guitar.

But, I never adjusted to the nut. Never. And, I tried, and I tried and I had no other guitars to fall back on at that time. Eventually, I stopped trying to swim upstream.

Several might say “you will adapt - keep playing.” But, from my experience, that is not always the case. Some can adapt, others cannot, and others simply don’t want to.

Play what works for you. Best of luck on your journey!
Old 02-09-2019, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

The V shape neck would be the issue for me. Don't like them. Fretboard width not an issue for me.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-09-2019, 02:17 PM

Billy aka calstang66,

Some missing information which, if known, might point toward a solution.

You have other guitars. Might be worth making some physical comparisons about them. Like which one's been your go-to instrument? What are it's physical dimensions?

What and why is this your tonal grail?
Had a set-up done on this one? What's the current action?
What is the scale length?
What is the current string gauge?
What is the nut spacing? Maybe a new nut would be in order.
What is the brand? Is it the RK? Maybe others with the same model could offer specific tips.

Personally, my guitars vary with 1+11/16", 1+3/4", and 1+7/8" nuts. The 1+7/8" nuts are on my 12 stringers. I think I prefer the 1+11/16" size the best, but not enough to deter me from playing 1+3/4" or the 12 strings.

My 412e-R GC has a shorter scale, and it has a distinct feel to it. And I like it a lot.
My EJ200 has a V neck, but not a deal breaker.
I had a 60's Les Paul Custom with a decidedly fat 'C' neck shape to it, but it was wicked easy to play. Didn't hurt that it was also a 'fretless wonder'.

edit> Oh yeah, I fingerpick everything.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 02-09-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

I stay away from V necks and 1.75ish is best for me. I'm a 100% finger picker.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-09-2019, 02:38 PM

I play only fingerstyle and 1 3/4 in. is my lower limit (1,725 is difficult for me).

I think the V neck would limit your hand to get in proper fingerstyle position since it seems de V neck help the thumb to play the big sixth string.

I would suggest you go to a store and try some flatter neck (say Taylor for example) just to see how your change in hand position help or not.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:14 PM

I play only fingerstyle and the v neck would be a no go for me but I insist on
1 13/16" nuts when I have guitars made. That requirement is why I have only customs. I have medium, maybe med to small finger length. Sell the guitar to someone that wants a v neck and get one that is either a softer v or a c shape. I find the D or U shape necks dont work and I dont like thin necks either.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calstang66 View Post
I have a wonderful 000 with rich, warm tonal characteristics, like for me the Holy Grail of tone. But I can't get used to the wide neck, it measures 1 13/16" but it feels like 3". A "V" shape neck. Owned it a year but don't play it enough.....
* Little kids playing classical guitars with tiny hands do great with wide necks
* Nearly all classical guitars have wider necks and they nearly always fingerpick
* Many small body & parlor guitars, emphasizing fingerpicking, are 1 13/16"
* So it surely seems apparent that wide necks favor serious fingerpickers
* I afraid I will regret selling this guitar, but have considered other 12 fret 000 guitars with 1 3/4" neck

1) is it best to just play mainly 1 neck size, so you get used to it
2) my left hand fingers don't mute a string as often, I like the spacing, but....
3) should I play only this 000 when fingerpicking, for 6 months?
Hi Billy, it took me many years to discover what kind of neck enabled me to play at my best. For many years it never occurred to me that there were choices and about all I played, and struggled with were the 1 &11/16" rhythm style nut widths ... not that I ever thought to measure them.

It was a revelation when the late great Isaac Guillory lent me his Martin D35-s with a 1 & 7/8" nut width.

I eventually found a Collings 12 fret dread called a DS2h, which proved to be my ideal.

All my flat tops are 12 fretters and all have 1 & 13/16s nut widths apart from a Waterloo WL12 which has only 1 &3/4" and gives me that old problem of fluffing notes as per your item .. 2.

My 12 strings ... Martin D12-20 with 1 & 7/8" nut width

and a Harmony H1270 with 2" (which feels a little better give me no issues at all.

I don't have large hands or long fingers, but it does seem that I have rather fat fingertips.

I am a flat picker, but I certainly need string spacing to fret clearly.

So in answer to your first question, I'd say, not necessarily, as scale length, string spacing at saddle and neck profile, but learn to know the minimum nut width that you can handle.

Question 3 - it IS worth pursuing as 1 &13/16" nut width is a little smaller than the original Martin design which had/has 1 & 7/8" (I believe) - my 000 is also made by Collings and has 1 & 13/16" standard scale, and a 2 & 5/16" string spacing.

Incidentally, my archtops are all 1 & 3/4" but work fine for me as I only play them rhythm style.

Hope this helps
Old 02-09-2019, 03:32 PM

My only criterion for a fingerpicker is 1.75 nut or larger (my Larrivee nylon is 2.00).
Old 02-09-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
When I was younger (and had practiced a lot less), I really didn't care about string spacing and nut widths. Now, many years later, my left hand fingers actually do not like anything less than 1 3/4. My right hand, either fingerpicking or flatpicking, can adapt with a bit of practice, but my left hand remains firmly entrenched in the 1 3/4 camp.

Tone, style of playing, genre, etc, has nothing to do with it.

CK
I'm the same way when it comes to finger style.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Nut width is meaningless for fingerpicking, what you care about is saddle spacing.

Nut width is what your fretting hand feels, not your picking hand.
- Journey Instruments OF882CN Koa
- Lazy River Weissenborn
Old 02-09-2019, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Experienced advice can help for sure, but ultimately focus most on what works for you. You said a few things which might lead you to an answer:

- It's the "Hole Grail of tone" and yet "had it a year but don't play it enough". You don't quite say why you don't play it but you do say:
- "I can't get used to the wide neck...it measures 1 13/16 but it feels like 3", and it's V shape.
- "I like the spacing, but....

I'd say a year is long enough to determine if you'll bond with it (unless your not playing for other personal reasons.) If the string spacing feels good but the neck feels 3" wide it might be that the V profile and/or general "bulk" of that neck is not for you. Many players like wider necks but not a V shape, preferring a shallower profile. I would start by trying as many non-V, "wider" necks that you can and see if your current V profile (and not the nut width) is the real issue. Once you nail down the neck you like then you can continue a more focused search for a guitar with that neck AND the Holy Grail of tone. Good luck.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have found that these choices become highly personal. Neck width, depth, shape, string spacing, string spacing at the saddle, etc. ultimately all impact how it feels to a player. Even posture and technique play a role. I have my own limitations and ideal specs. It took me a number of years of playing to sus that all out for myself. When it comes right down to it, a guitar has to be comfortable to play for me to maximize the tone it offers.

Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion