The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-08-2019, 09:07 AM

Sounds pretty good to me, Jake. Still a bit too much low (dreadnought?) frequencies which could be ameliorated by more bass traps and/or high pass filter. I would also raise the presence of your (nice!) voice somewhat. I usualy firstly record the guitar part and then do the singing. But deep in my heart I prefer the way you do it. I included in my first post the Auralex advice as was since it reflects your situation. Meanwhile I have placed my desk at the short side of my studio to create more room for guitar playing and singing; and adapted the wall paneling slightly.

My lyrics and music on Youtube
Old 01-08-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Is this config advisable? .. Or do I need to get more into the middle of room.

Again.. Just looking for ideas.

That's not bad, but I would setup at the center of that rear wall, 3-4 feet from the wall.
You might try putting the panels in front of you to help absorb reflections from your vocals.
Alternatively, you could get a microphone isolation shield. Rockville makes a nice one that comes with a very convenient stand, for less than $100.
Then you could put the panels behind and at the sides like you have in that pic.

Last edited by Monsoon1; 01-08-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:51 AM

$90 with free shipping.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:24 AM

Thanks Karel for your comments!

Yeah, as I get further into it.. I will be doing separate tracks for vocs and guitars. Or simply do separate mic for both guitar and vocs.

Like you said, there is something about singing and playing at same time... For me I like the Live Performance aspect and record all at once.

More Bass Traps.. Seems to be the advice. I don't think I will be able to permanently install anything in this room or on walls/ ceiling (for now it is not possible since we may be moving this year). But I can build more of the panels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karel View Post
Sounds pretty good to me, Jake. Still a bit too much low (dreadnought?) frequencies which could be ameliorated by more bass traps and/or high pass filter. I would also raise the presence of your (nice!) voice somewhat. I usualy firstly record the guitar part and then do the singing. But deep in my heart I prefer the way you do it. I included in my first post the Auralex advice as was since it reflects your situation. Meanwhile I have placed my desk at the short side of my studio to create more room for guitar playing and singing; and adapted the wall paneling slightly.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon1 View Post
That's not bad, but I would setup at the center of that rear wall, 3-4 feet from the wall.
You might try putting the panels in front of you to help absorb reflections from your vocals.
Alternatively, you could get a microphone isolation shield. Rockville makes a nice one that comes with a very convenient stand, for less than $100.
Then you could put the panels behind and at the sides like you have in that pic.
THANKS!

Through the help of this thread..
I have already made some of those changes.

Here's a shot what I set up last night..

IS this what you had in mind?
Old 01-08-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
THANKS!

yes but with the exception that I would face the other way.
Performing towards that wall, especially if you sing, will cause a fair amount of boominess. And a fair amount of that might not be blocked by those panels.
But try it both ways though! Acoustic reflections are very complex and don't always play fair in a space like that with a sloping ceiling.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:

yes but with the exception that I would face the other way.

Performing towards that wall, especially if you sing, will cause a fair amount of boominess. And a fair amount of that might not be blocked by those panels.

But try it both ways though! Acoustic reflections are very complex and don't always play fair in a space like that with a sloping ceiling.
Ok.. that makes sense and I will give it a try.

Appreciate your thoughts and ideas!
Old 01-08-2019, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
THANKS!

As an experiment, I would suggest (i) turning everything around 180 degrees to face into the room, and (ii) do sub experiments with different placements of the traps.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
As an experiment, I would suggest (i) turning everything around 180 degrees to face into the room, and (ii) do sub experiments with different placements of the traps.
I agree with experimenting with the traps. It almost seems intuitive to align them with the guitar height, but the math shows that those low frequencies are much larger in wavelength, and it might be better to put them vertically in that corner. It is a very odd corner there with the sloping ceiling, so nothing is guaranteed. Best to try all options.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
I agree with experimenting with the traps. It almost seems intuitive to align them with the guitar height, but the math shows that those low frequencies are much larger in wavelength, and it might be better to put them vertically in that corner. It is a very odd corner there with the sloping ceiling, so nothing is guaranteed. Best to try all options.
Thanks guys!

I'm going to change things "around" and play out into the room with my back to wall. I guess I misunderstood earlier in thread about which way to face.

Cleaner shot of space. Room is roughly 20x30ft
(The wall you see is the 20ft wall)
5 ft pony wall and ceiling is 10 ft tall in center of room.

There is also the futon couch in middle of room.. This is sorta my "room divider" ... My side and "her" side.

I can move the couch and chair and use them anywhere.

Or keep couch where it is?

Last edited by JakeStone; 01-08-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks guys!
I'm going to change things "around" and play out into the room with my back to wall. I guess I misunderstood earlier in thread about which way to face.
Using cardioid mikes I am usually sitting about one third of the way from a wall and facing the wall so that the microphones are pointing away from the wall. The guitar sound does bounce off that wall but it is coming back towards the rear of the microphones where they are less sensitive. However you could do it the other way with good results. Experiment.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 01-08-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Using cardioid mikes I am usually sitting about one third of the way from a wall and facing the wall so that the microphones are pointing away from the wall. The guitar sound does bounce off that wall but it is coming back towards the rear of the microphones where they are less sensitive. However you could do it the other way with good results. Experiment.
Cool.. Yeah it seems like there is no "right" or "exact" way to do anything when it comes to recording.... That goes for gear too. Since every room, player, ear , etc ,,, is different!

I am beginning to understand the complexities..

Newbies (like myself) are always looking to speed things up...

But Experimenting is the best method and has been enjoyable !
Old 01-08-2019, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
There is also the futon couch in middle of room.. This is sorta my "room divider" ... My side and "her" side.

I can move the couch and chair and use them anywhere.

Or keep couch where it is?
That couch will also act as a rather decent bass trap, so its placement can be useful.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
That couch will also act as a rather decent bass trap, so its placement can be useful.
Yep.. I am open for placement ideas for the couch.

BTW, This left corner area is going to be tricky...

Old 01-09-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
THANKS!

I didn't realize the room was that big.
Here's something you could try. Line up the four panels on that wall. Then turn around facing the other way. That way the rear reflections will be well absorbed by the panels. And as has been mentioned, with a cardioid mic, the long reflections will hit the back of the mic, and also they'll be delayed significantly and won't muddy up the sound.
Short reflections muddy the sound, long reflections add ambiance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD