The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-06-2015, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Default SPIF/Studio set up question

Thanks in advance for any input

Couple of decisions I need some help with

My plan is to record a small acoustic ensemble (2 voices, a guitar and 1 other stringed instrument). Right now I have 2 digital inputs to my Daw. I would like to get up to 4 channels of digital.

I would also like to add a small digital mixer for some Monitoring, automation and live mixes

I am on a budget, so used is fine. And, as much as a would to match the quality of what i already have, I realize that might not be possible. I have around $1000 to spend)

I already have:
several good mics
2 channel mic pre (Great River)
2 channels of A/D – D/A conversation - Fire wire (Rosetta 200)
12 channel mixer for monitoring (Old Mackie – Analog)
Good Head phones and Monitors.
Daw and Soft ware
And a good sounding room with treatment

Hears the rub
I can pick up a used Rosetta 800 for around $700. This does not leave much for a good 2 channel pre. If I buy and good used pre then not much is left for a converter.
Is there a small mixer that I can use for digital mixing, has good mic pres, and has a SPIF out so I can run 2 more channels to the Rosetta, SPIF into my daw

I realize I will take a loss of quality on the mic pres (compared to the 2 channels from the Great River)
but I could clock the 2 extra digital channels from the mixer from/through the Rosetta

So, What say you. I am open to all possibilities
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 07-06-2015, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Thanks in advance for any input

Couple of decisions I need some help with

My plan is to record a small acoustic ensemble (2 voices, a guitar and 1 other stringed instrument). Right now I have 2 digital inputs to my Daw. I would like to get up to 4 channels of digital.

I would also like to add a small digital mixer for some Monitoring, automation and live mixes

I am on a budget, so used is fine. And, as much as a would to match the quality of what i already have, I realize that might not be possible. I have around $1000 to spend)

I already have:
several good mics
2 channel mic pre (Great River)
2 channels of A/D – D/A conversation - Fire wire (Rosetta 200)
12 channel mixer for monitoring (Old Mackie – Analog)
Good Head phones and Monitors.
Daw and Soft ware
And a good sounding room with treatment

Hears the rub
I can pick up a used Rosetta 800 for around $700. This does not leave much for a good 2 channel pre. If I buy and good used pre then not much is left for a converter.
Is there a small mixer that I can use for digital mixing, has good mic pres, and has a SPIF out so I can run 2 more channels to the Rosetta, SPIF into my daw

I realize I will take a loss of quality on the mic pres (compared to the 2 channels from the Great River)
but I could clock the 2 extra digital channels from the mixer from/through the Rosetta

So, What say you. I am open to all possibilities
Sell your Rosetta and get an Apogee Quartet. You'll likely find the four preamps in the Quartet good enough so that you don't need the GR pre. Plus, it will provide better monitoring than the Mackie board (which would become redundant).
Old 07-06-2015, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Sell your Rosetta and get an Apogee Quartet. You'll likely find the four preamps in the Quartet good enough so that you don't need the GR pre. Plus, it will provide better monitoring than the Mackie board (which would become redundant).
Thanks for the response.
I could get about $450-500 for the Rosetta. This would put the Quartet in budget. But it does not solve my need for a small digital mixer (hardware) for Live and automated mixing (out of the box)

Is there a small compact mixer that has SPIF out?
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
Old 07-06-2015, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Thanks for the response.
I could get about $450-500 for the Rosetta. This would put the Quartet in budget. But it does not solve my need for a small digital mixer (hardware) for Live and automated mixing (out of the box)

Is there a small compact mixer that has SPIF out?
What's missing in the Apogee's feature set for live recording? You can record 4 tracks at once (expandable to 12 via ADAT).

Why do you need to do automatic mixing OTB? Most DAWs have automated mixing ITB. Wouldn't you be mixing after the tracks are recorded anyway?
Old 07-07-2015, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
What's missing in the Apogee's feature set for live recording? You can record 4 tracks at once (expandable to 12 via ADAT).

Why do you need to do automatic mixing OTB? Most DAWs have automated mixing ITB. Wouldn't you be mixing after the tracks are recorded anyway?
The mixer is for multiple uses, but bottom line is I prefer mixing on hardware (otb). A small digital mixer, with spif, would let me do what I need for less. I would get the mixer, additional mic pres, and the additional 2 Channels of digital conversion.

Also, most of my (preliminary) research states the quartet is good but the Rosetta is better. I appreciate the suggestion and will continue to look into it.
I might just wait and save a little more.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD