The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-06-2010, 12:41 PM

Default scale technique question

when I'm playing the scale shapes, should I be leaving down left hand fingers already played on that string? (So, I'm playing fingers 1-3-4 to start a minor scale, and I fret 1, leave it down, fret 3, leave both down, fret 4.)

I've seen similar advice for other applications and heard it's "correct technique". Part two of my question is, if it is the way I'm supposed to do it, why? What makes it good technique?
Old 12-06-2010, 12:53 PM

It seems to me that doing it as you describe would encourage the fingers to learn to play with minimum movement of the hand and, therefore, greater accuracy, hence speed.

A veteran is someone who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
Old 12-06-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippiegal View Post
when I'm playing the scale shapes, should I be leaving down left hand fingers already played on that string? (So, I'm playing fingers 1-3-4 to start a minor scale, and I fret 1, leave it down, fret 3, leave both down, fret 4.)

I've seen similar advice for other applications and heard it's "correct technique". Part two of my question is, if it is the way I'm supposed to do it, why? What makes it good technique?
It's minimum motion, which is good, and it's the foundation of legato, which is good.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 12-09-2010, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Depends on context. In the limited context of doing ascending scales you can leave the fingers down although I lift off the index finger for the last note on a string in preparation for fretting the next string up.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-23-2010, 08:24 AM

Rick-Slo,

Interesting you answer in this specific way, I have recently been paying more attention to descending scales... they seem more difficult than ascending scales. I have developed the habit of all "floating fingers" for descending. Is there a more correct way of this?

Does SLO = San Luis Obispo? I am an old Mustang.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 12-23-2010, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
Rick-Slo,

Interesting you answer in this specific way, I have recently been paying more attention to descending scales... they seem more difficult than ascending scales. I have developed the habit of all "floating fingers" for descending. Is there a more correct way of this?

Does SLO = San Luis Obispo? I am an old Mustang.
Yep, San Luis Obispo. Have been at the CP Health Center since 1985. Maybe I saw you there. See you are using your architecture major.
Regarding scales I usually float both going up and going down for a lighter touch.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-23-2010, 10:44 AM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippiegal View Post
when I'm playing the scale shapes, should I be leaving down left hand fingers already played on that string? (So, I'm playing fingers 1-3-4 to start a minor scale, and I fret 1, leave it down, fret 3, leave both down, fret 4.)...
No. Leaving the first finger down until just a moment (millisecond) after the third finger is down the way to get a good legato sound, and a big goal as a teacher to get players doing... but continuing to leave the first finger down after (using your example) the second finger and fourth finger are down is not a good idea in my view. It's an unnecessary use of energy, creates tension... I don't see an up side.

Last edited by min7b5; 12-23-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
No. Leaving the first finger down until just a moment (millisecond) after the third finger is down the way to get a good legato sound, and a big goal as a teacher to get playing doing... but continuing to leave the first finger down after (using your example) the second finger and fourth finger are down is not a good idea in my view. It's an unnecessary use of energy, creates tension... I don't see an up side.
Hi eric…
Agreed.

I think efficiency in motion is not always the goal, and technique is often based on what precedes a passage or follows the passage in question.

When a player tries to leave fingers in place too long the playing becomes sluggish or sloppy - or both.

The exception of course is if you are trilling or moving to a higher note and immediately back to the original note (hammer on/off) figures.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-25-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Yep, San Luis Obispo. Have been at the CP Health Center since 1985. Maybe I saw you there. See you are using your architecture major.
Regarding scales I usually float both going up and going down for a lighter touch.
Hey Rick,

Thanks for the reply. After a year of tracking, my ascending scales are smooth and clean at 300bpm, descending at about 250bpm... working them daily with floating fingers. Not exactly blazing fast, but getting to a respectable speed.

I finished at Cal Poly in 1983, but I am sure you know many of my friends still living there. You live in one of the worlds best places to live and I look forward to my SLO visits. Merry Christmas to you.

BD

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 12-26-2010, 08:25 AM

I don't know much about the fingering .. as I am a beginner ..

but I like saying "legato" ...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write