The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-24-2019, 08:31 PM

Talking How sweet it is! New slightly damaged C5 for $89 plus

delivered today. I saw it on G.C. used listings Sunday night. It looked new to me with a slight 2.5 inch crack way over by the side binding. "repaired" they said in typical scant description, but it looked like it was an open wound I'd gladly fill.

The whole thing seemed to scream "new and damaged in delivery or handling" and that is precisely what arrived- totally new looking, fretboard untouched, new strings, new tuners, perfect binding and not a scratch anywhere besides- crack filled and clear coated professionally- I'll probably still be painting a watery wood glue solution around it on the back, when I ever get the strings down.

Great deal- one of those rare finds, and lucky that it stayed up until I finally gave in and ordered it Monday morning.

Had to share the joy- so SUFFER Warm Ann!!
Old 07-25-2019, 03:00 PM

Congratulations! Sounds like a real bargain!
Old 07-26-2019, 05:45 AM

Congratulations on the Cordoba C5, and what a bargain.

I bought a new Cordoba C5, five weeks ago and haven't stopped playing it since I got it.
Think they are great guitars, then put a new set of strings on this week and the tone greatly improved, and it was very good prior to the string change.
I payed almost three times the price you payed, and still think that was a good price.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:08 AM

I bought my first one about three years ago- also new and damaged. The bridge had come unglued- very cleanly- and so I merely used some Elmers wood glue- thinned to penetrate the grain the first coat- and put that bridge back on exactly where it had been, The new strings never left the tuners.
And so I got that one just under half national normal retail Now I have two for still under the price of one.

I bought a 3/4 Cadete the year before that even- same deal- new unglued bridge for less than half- 3 and 4 years now and both bridges holding fine

I also frequently play a 7/8 Dolce, a 7/8 spruce top Coco, and also have a half sized Requinto 580 They are basically all the same guitar- cedar top, mahogany back and sides- just different sizes, so my Cordoba "stable" is fairly complete.

Here's an ebay store that's a clearinghouse for a lot of B stock, blem and repaired Cordobas. I got a couple of guitars there
https://www.ebay.com/str/All-Used-Gu...p2047675.l2563

and a couple of C-5 s I've seen
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cordoba-C5-...EAAOSwbWhdON4y

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27394008086...m=273940080864

Other than that- here's a solid deal on a new cedar top from down under
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-4-Caraya-....c100752.m1982

Last edited by harpon; 07-26-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:59 PM

Congradulations!
Yamaha FG830 (Tusq nut/saddle mod)
Martin OME Cherry
Old 07-26-2019, 02:25 PM

Fantastic deal on cedar and rosewood and very well done wood binding, with D'adario EXP strings.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Miguel-Rosa....c100005.m1851

EXACTLY like the Miguel Rodriguez I bought eight or nine years back when I first went to buy a C5 at guitar center, down to the colorful rosette. It's even got the exact same "MR" inlay on the headstock! a $300 guitar otherwise, and now with a truss rod. The body is very slightly smaller than a C-5, and the rosewood more mellow like a C-7 - and now here NEW under $200 delivered.

it's much more a "buyers market" than it was a decade ago- Worldwide competition and distribution has driven down prices- selling is tough, saturation has set in I guess, and Guitar Acquisition Syndrome is not enough.

In a month I haven't got one response on an Oscar Schmidt 12 string I probably would have sold in a week when I went looking on Craigs a decade ago.

Hard to tell what the climate disaster future may bring though.

Last edited by harpon; 07-26-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpon View Post
delivered today. I saw it on G.C. used listings Sunday night. It looked new to me with a slight 2.5 inch crack way over by the side binding. "repaired" they said in typical scant description, but it looked like it was an open wound I'd gladly fill.

The whole thing seemed to scream "new and damaged in delivery or handling" and that is precisely what arrived- totally new looking, fretboard untouched, new strings, new tuners, perfect binding and not a scratch anywhere besides- crack filled and clear coated professionally- I'll probably still be painting a watery wood glue solution around it on the back, when I ever get the strings down.

Great deal- one of those rare finds, and lucky that it stayed up until I finally gave in and ordered it Monday morning.

Had to share the joy- so SUFFER Warm Ann!!
Congrats on a great deal! I just got an C7 yesterday, and love it already.
Martin 00-28
Martin D-18
Cordoba C7
Gretsch Jim Dandy

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical