The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-21-2015, 03:27 PM

Default Saving up for a classical

I'm a newbie to guitar, having been working on my first, a Martin DRS1, for three months. I've always planned to eventually get a classical and an electric, too. Today I went to Elderly just to hear some of the classicals I've been eyeing on their website for months.

I really wanted to like the sound of the Takamines, but to me the sound difference between those and the Cordobas was significant. The Cordobas sound richer and fuller, like the body of the guitar is contributing more to the sound. Most of the Cordobas I played were more expensive than the Takamines and Yamahas, so that's part of it, but I also played some inexpensive Cordobas, and I always favored their sound to the others.

I'm *especially* fond of the C9, but I'm not sure if I want to go that expensive for my classical. Then again, I don't see me upgrading the classical (ever), so I'm probably better off saving longer and spending the couple of hundred dollars more to get the one I really like. That C9 sounded beautiful, even with my inexperienced hands playing only three chords, simple arpeggios, and scales!

I also was fond of the GK Studio Negra Flamenco, but I'm not familiar yet with what the designation "flamenco" indicates. It didn't sound quite as good as the C9, but it still was quite pleasant, and it has electronics, which could be a plus.

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/CORGKSN.htm

Question: Will the same amp work for my Martin DRS1 and an electrified classical or flamenco? I would think it would.

EDIT: Did some research. Now I understand what a flamenco guitar entails. I would probably want a straight classical guitar.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibanaChosin View Post

EDIT: Did some research. Now I understand what a flamenco guitar entails. I would probably want a straight classical guitar.
Traditional flamenco attributes and accoutrements probably don't apply so much to this model. If possible, find some actual examples and play them.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Default Saving up for a classical

I took up classical last year. I recently bought a Cordoba C9 Parlor. It's a 630mm and very comfortable for my 7.5" left hand reach. The tone is amazing.

Last edited by Blueser100; 03-22-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucefulton View Post
Traditional flamenco attributes and accoutrements probably don't apply so much to this model. If possible, find some actual examples and play them.
Thanks for the information. I actually did play the one I listed at Elderly, and loved the sound. Maybe not quite as much as the C9, but I like having the electronics, too. Once I'm closer to actually buying, I'll do more playing of various models.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:19 PM

Couple of questions:

1. What is your price range?

2. Do you plan to play (exclusively or otherwise) classical repertoire?

I ask the second because I primarily play nylon string guitars, but I only play some classical repertoire to hone my technique. Most of my repertoire is not classical and I do not like the sound of my pieces on high end classical guitars. I'm more fond of the punchy La Patrie sound in the low end price range (much more than Cordoba) and the sound of the 1960s Martin nylon strings for when you're lucky enough to come across one (2-3k on average). The Martins also have the added benefit of smaller necks, which may or may not be your preference.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:47 PM

Hi,

I played a Takamine H5 Hirade the other day in a local shop and was very impressed with the sustain and clarity. The bass response was very impressive. I think it had Savarez high tension strings on it. The price was not too bad either.

Rosco
Martin GPCPA2

Last edited by Rosco NZ; 03-25-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:39 PM

Don't get a cutaway or electronics

ADVERTISEMENT
Aitch Oh Double-U A Are Dee
Ef Are Eye Ess Sea Aitch E Are
Facebook.com/HowardFrischer
Ads by Google Adwords
Old 03-27-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haplo View Post
Couple of questions:

1. What is your price range?

2. Do you plan to play (exclusively or otherwise) classical repertoire?

I ask the second because I primarily play nylon string guitars, but I only play some classical repertoire to hone my technique. Most of my repertoire is not classical and I do not like the sound of my pieces on high end classical guitars. I'm more fond of the punchy La Patrie sound in the low end price range (much more than Cordoba) and the sound of the 1960s Martin nylon strings for when you're lucky enough to come across one (2-3k on average). The Martins also have the added benefit of smaller necks, which may or may not be your preference.
You know, I haven't given what I'm going to play that much thought. I didn't when I bought my first guitar, either! I just love the sound of both kinds of acoustic guitars, and having played uke for 2 years, the nylon stringed guitars appeal to me. I forgot about the La Patrie. I didn't play that one, and they have it in stock at Elderly. I'll have to give that one a try.

As far as budget, I don't have a set budget, but the more expensive it is, the longer I have to save to get it. I was planning to try to keep it to $500 or so, so the C9 is outside that by a bit. The La Patrie is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco NZ View Post
Hi,

I played a Takamine H5 Hirade the other day in a local shop and was very impressed with the sustain and clarity. The bass response was very impressive. I think it had Savarez high tension strings on it. The price was not too bad either.

Rosco
You know, I don't think I played that one. I think that's on the higher end of the price range that I would consider, and I may have not even picked it up.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:05 PM

Try the Cordoba C5CE over at Elderly. Great deal for a cedar top guitar with electronics and a slightly thinner neck (if those are of interest to you). Falls into the category called a "crossover" and you might ask their thoughts about that as well. Track down my pal Brian Heffernan there....he is a killer uke player and part of the Fabulous Heftones (http://www.heftone.com/fabulous) with his wife Lynn. He'll treat you right.....

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 03-27-2015, 05:27 PM

Man I played this Guild at a shop the other day that was... $600 or so, for the price it absolutely blew me away. I've heard the consistency isn't the best--there are duds out there, but the good ones are great.

If you're buying sight unseen... there's nothing more consistent than a Yamaha. I know in the steelie world they don't get much love at all, but in the vast majority of classical players' opinion... you can't do better than a good used yamaha for under $1000-$1250 or so, and some players even swear by their models that cost more than that

Idk what kind of voodoo they do at the factory, but with as consistent as they are... it's hard to believe they're made out of wood
Old 03-30-2015, 03:31 PM

I played the La Patrie Concert a bit on Saturday. It seems like a very well put together guitar. I liked it. Without doing a direct comparison, it seemed like the treble strings were a little less bright than what I remembered on the Cordoba guitars. I'll have to do a proper side-by-side comparison when I get closer to actually buying, assuming I stick with this plan.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical