The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-02-2014, 11:27 PM

Default played my second rainsong today

So I was in a different neighborhood today were there is a GC that typically has higher end acoustics than the one by my house. There was only one RS in the store and it was used. It was a JM1000 that was mislabeled a WS1000 (this isn't the first time I've found a guitar labeled incorrectly there on that note). The tag had it listed at $1499. Not bad considering that I think new they go for around $2399. I saw many guitars in the "high end" room which included the RS. I saw the Breedlove C20/Smye that I fell in love with a few months ago there but I picked up the RS to see what the jumbo sounded like after playing the Shorty a few months ago.

I was impressed. I like the unidirectional top better but this still sounded really nice. I was so impressed with the clarity on an instrument that size and even more intrigued at how good and comfortable it sat on my lap. No truss rod, had the N1 which felt ok but I really like the idea of having a truss should you need it, especially considering the cost. It sounded big and tuned to DADGAD sounded solid and throaty while retaining a beautiful clarity unlike anything I've ever heard, and that was with old strings.. The intonation is flawless and had long decaying sustain. I only used my fingers and the thing was just what the RS website claims it will be when you play one. LOUD. Overall I come away even more impressed with the Rainsong brand and haven't even tried other makers of CF guitars. I'm falling in love with the CF tone- at least in the RS offerings. When I picked up the Breedlove I thought was so great before exploring CF guitars I was left a bit disappointed. It sounded compressed, a bit muddy and lacked the playability of the RS. Still sounded great like a $1500 Breedlove should, but I can't deny how impressed I am and how great the two Rainsongs I've played have sounded (and played)

I'm still liking the Shorty better because I can appreciate the more understated look and because I love small and intimate guitars. Having said that, the experience with the jumbo was overwhelmingly positive and still can't believe how nice it felt on my lap.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
When I picked up the Breedlove I thought was so great before exploring CF guitars I was left a bit disappointed. It sounded compressed, a bit muddy and lacked the playability of the RS.
Exactly...you'll notice this with a LOT of guitars and not just Breedloves. Which I enjoy a lot too.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:27 AM

You, explain exactly why I think the JM1000 is the best carbon made and I think you hit them all.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber