The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-05-2019, 10:42 PM

Default New Aquila Ambra 900 strings on my 7/8 Cordoba Coco

Really pleased with the sound although the first tuning was difficult and the trebles specifically stretch while already seeming to have high tension. The idea is to emulate gut in synthetic string- I like nylgut on my ukes, and the wound bases are smooth and mellow sounding too- great strings on the parlor guitar Coco, which is 7/8 sized with a smaller scale and 14 frets to the body. The non-classical style tuners made winding a little difficult but I got better as I went.

The Coco wasn't an expensive guitar I got a couple years back when the cartoon came out (haven't seen it yet but want to) and it had clunky kid-proof strings I wanted to change but which weren't a high priority, and I finally got these much nicer sleek nygut and silver basses on.

It's a nice mellow change and the greatest difference between other strings comes across with less volume as opposed to crunching hard playing and strumming.

Anybody else used these?

Last edited by harpon; 07-06-2019 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:30 PM

I also put a set of Aquilla Ambra 900 nylgut strings on my Cordoba Dolce 7/8 guitar. "synthetic gut" they call them.

I'm pretty high on these strings for now, and will be comparing sound with other more conventional. They work really well on a shorter scale because they seem to have the stiff tension the short scale requires without feeling heavy- in fact they are kind of rubbery and my fingers feel a bounce- like I'm bouncing a basketball- that especially translates to strumming. I feel an automatic sense of rhythm with the nygut, and ironically- although the 7/8's have short guitar scales, I think the nylgut works even better than on a longer length than usually found on ukuleles where they are mostly used.

I'm inspired and enthused and would recommend someone trying them, especially for short scales. I got mine for about $15 a set.

The trebles stretch a lot bringing them up to tension but it was easier to install them on normal classical tuners than the steel string style on the Coco. Once they are up to pitch though, they seem to stretch less then at first than nylon.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:37 PM

I bought these (specifically the ambra 800's which are medium tension instead of high tension) and I am just in love with the feeling of the nylgut trebles and will be sticking with nylgut and perhaps even trying out real gut on my classical from now on! I noticed they do quite a bit of stretching aswell. No more slippery nylon trebles haha (not that slippage is a problem but boy the non slippy feel on those nylguts are to die for)

Im even thinking about trying the high tension version on my flamenco
Old 07-28-2019, 08:28 PM

Question on Aguila wound strings. I have bought them for my uke, (low G tuning, so the g was wound) but they tended to break for me. I'm assuming that has not been an issue with the classical strings?
Old 08-08-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icuker View Post
Question on Aguila wound strings. I have bought them for my uke, (low G tuning, so the g was wound) but they tended to break for me. I'm assuming that has not been an issue with the classical strings?
I don't think so, atleast not in my experience with them. I've only bought their guitar strings

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical