The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-29-2019, 08:56 AM

A related "aside", I replaced an electric burner stove with a gas burner stove, it took a NOTICEABLY longer time time to bring water to a boil. I thought a gas burner would deliver heat faster----wrong! The advantage is I have a stove top (No oven) during electric outages.

Can't think of a good reason to have glass top stove, other than aesthetics!

Fog
Old 06-29-2019, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Another Weiman's (plastic bottle stuff, not the spray) user here. Just stay on top of it and clean up sugary spills first.

We've had ours for 15+ years. Only a few months ago did it get its first, unremovable marks and that was when we had a bit of miscommunication in the kitchen and set a stainless pan (with heavy clad bottom) of vegetables to steam and forgot about it until someone said "What's that smell?" The pan had no water in it to start with, and probably was on the verge of melting either the pan or glass when we turned the burner off and quickly unstuck the pan. Maybe if we'd have left it cool it would have been a smaller mark, but I doubt it. The pan might still be there....

Anyway, it made us look around for a replacement. Somewhat surprisingly, one of the options is exactly the same cooktop, with very minor cosmetic changes, like the knobs and the shade of coloring to show where the burners are. Guess it's a reasonably stable design. We are looking at possibly going to an induction type, but haven't made any decisions because besides the couple cosmetic spots, it still works the same.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:07 PM

Glass cooktops are also replaceable, and my wife and I did so when ours wore and pitted enough to merit it (though for aesthetic reasons only - it still worked fine and had no cracks).
Old 06-30-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogducker View Post
A related "aside", I replaced an electric burner stove with a gas burner stove, it took a NOTICEABLY longer time time to bring water to a boil. I thought a gas burner would deliver heat faster----wrong! The advantage is I have a stove top (No oven) during electric outages.

Can't think of a good reason to have glass top stove, other than aesthetics!

Fog

It would depend on the burner size (BTU’s) compared to the electric coil (wattage) output.
Old 06-30-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Hayden View Post
Glass cooktops are also replaceable, and my wife and I did so when ours wore and pitted enough to merit it (though for aesthetic reasons only - it still worked fine and had no cracks).
You probably paid a hefty price for that. We have an embedded vitro-ceramic ("glass") hot plate that cracked when a smallish plastic (!) empty (!!) storage container fell out of a cupboard. This was a budget cooktop; the glass would have cost more than half the price of an entire new cooktop.

I'm not certain to what extent these are actually certamic, or rather indeed something between glass and ceramic as their French name suggests. It does appear to be much more scratch resistant than regular glass.

I have Lodge skillets that don't cause any scratching, my Staub c.i. cookware with its enameled underside even less. But you'll want to pose all pots and pans delicately.

An aunt of mine figured out a perfect trick to prevent the need for intensive cleaning: she put pages out of an old newspaper under her pans. Of course she had an induction cooktop; I wouldn't do that with a regular radiant/halogen cooktop. But there must be comparably thin things that are heat resistant and don't let spills reach the glass (teflon lining for baking, maybe?)
Old 06-30-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogducker View Post
...Can't think of a good reason to have glass top stove, other than aesthetics!
Then you’ve never cooked with an induction stove.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
But there must be comparably thin things that are heat resistant and don't let spills reach the glass (teflon lining for baking, maybe?)
More thoughts?
Old 06-30-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
The ceramic top is very hard so it's not overly prone to scratching like eyeglass lenses are.
Good to know but also more confusing...is it indeed glass? or some hybrid?
Does it vary from manufacturer or do they all come from the same giant factory?
Old 07-02-2019, 02:45 PM

I’ve used the commercial glasstop cleaners and they did okay but I have found that Barkeepers Friend works better than anything else I tried.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind." Twelfth Doctor
Old 07-03-2019, 05:00 AM

I clean mine with windowlene and a clean microfibre cloth after removing any stuck on food debris with a wipe. Always looks great afterwards.

1934 Gibson Kalamazoo KG11

www.reverbnation.com/jamesascott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic