The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Hi Joe,

I had not been paying attention to your thread here. Now that I have checked this out, your photos and your sound files, I am very, very impressed! Wow! Great playing, beautiful sounding guitar, and gorgeous instrument!

Congratulations Joe!

- Glenn
Old 10-12-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Still great Pisan, especially thru my headphones...and now on YT, your a rockstar.

Bravo my friend, bravo.

eric
Thanks for your kind words, Eric.

I just found out I used the wrong camera on my iPad... LOL

YouTube is cool. Posting a good video requires a lot of work though -- but I won't quit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
Hi, Joe. You are an amazingly musical player. Thanks for sharing all the audio and the video as well.
Thanks so much, Jon!

I'm new at recording my own stuff so it has been a fun and experimental journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Joe,

I had not been paying attention to your thread here. Now that I have checked this out, your photos and your sound files, I am very, very impressed! Wow! Great playing, beautiful sounding guitar, and gorgeous instrument!

Congratulations Joe!

- Glenn
Thanks Glenn!

I think I was most excited about the photos...

I just put heavy gauge strings (14-59) on this guitar. I'll let them settle in for a day or two and then I'll post new sound clips.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post

I just put heavy gauge strings (14-59) on this guitar.
I hope you're gonna be tuning down...!

I always have a guitar strung up with a set of 14 to 59s, but in CGCDGA, which works out at less tension than a set of 12s in standard. Indeed, I swap the 14 for a 17 as it's all the way down to A.

Looking forward to what you do with it Joe.

cheers,
Steve
Old 10-14-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
I hope you're gonna be tuning down...!

I always have a guitar strung up with a set of 14 to 59s, but in CGCDGA, which works out at less tension than a set of 12s in standard. Indeed, I swap the 14 for a 17 as it's all the way down to A.

Looking forward to what you do with it Joe.

cheers,
Steve
I've tuned down to CGCFGC -- about 20 pounds less than standard tuning with mediums.

Check this out: http://soundcloud.com/syndicatedarts...e-kraut-om-brw
Old 10-16-2012, 10:00 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Ok, that's it. I own 4 studio condenser mics and an Apogee Duet, and I may just sell them all and get that Apogee mic instead. Amazing quality. And that guitar is one of the sweetest sounding instruments I've heard. And it only stands to improve with age!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
Ok, that's it. I own 4 studio condenser mics and an Apogee Duet, and I may just sell them all and get that Apogee mic instead. Amazing quality. And that guitar is one of the sweetest sounding instruments I've heard. And it only stands to improve with age!
I'm trying to go the opposite way so perhaps we can make a trade... As soon as my studio is fully set up (which may take anywhere between one month and several years), I will have semi fancy microphones in the room.

For now I'm just having fun so the Apogee MiC is perfect.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:02 AM

Joe, how is your guitar opening up now that it has been with you a while. How would you describe the change in tone since it first arrived. I am always interested to hear how guitars mature. This sounded so amazing when you got it that I am not sure how it could really improve.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japple View Post
Joe, how is your guitar opening up now that it has been with you a while. How would you describe the change in tone since it first arrived. I am always interested to hear how guitars mature. This sounded so amazing when you got it that I am not sure how it could really improve.
Thanks for your kind words.

I don't think the guitar has changed at all. I personally believe that guitars slowly evolve over time. Very slowly. I always read stories about how someone's cannon turned loose last weekend with great skepticism.

I was rather concerned that the neck would move ever so slightly once it adapts to my environment -- but I'm glad that playability is still top notch, with no buzzing anywhere.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:

I don't think the guitar has changed at all. I personally believe that guitars slowly evolve over time. Very slowly. I always read stories about how someone's cannon turned loose last weekend with great skepticism.

I was rather concerned that the neck would move ever so slightly once it adapts to my environment -- but I'm glad that playability is still top notch, with no buzzing anywhere.
Interesting. I have found my Traugott is changing in noticeable ways. Granted, I got it literally with an hour of play time on it, so maybe some of the settling is happening here where other luthiers might keep the guitar a little longer.

In any case, the harmonics were noticeable after 24 hours, and the bass has become more noticeable after 48. I'd not say it has changed -dramatically- (it's the same guitar, no doubt), but I'm noticing subtle shifts over the first week of its life.

That said, I do agree with you on the "my guitar became a cannon last night" or "I could hear it change in the middle of a song!" being hard to believe.

-B

CF MARTIN 1930 OM-18 - Mahogany/Adirondack
GIBSON 2018 Memphis Limited 1963 ES-335 - Maple/Maple
MCCONNELL 2021 Electric Semi-Hollow - Wenge/Sitka

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 10-17-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdm0509 View Post
Interesting. I have found my Traugott is changing in noticeable ways. Granted, I got it literally with an hour of play time on it, so maybe some of the settling is happening here where other luthiers might keep the guitar a little longer.
Dude, I just think it's the strings.

Fresh strings suck.

At least that's my perception...
Old 10-17-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:

I would agree that most do not open up all of a sudden. But most have noticed some changes quite quickly. However, we all know that each guitar is different, and the wood responds at a different rate. I was really amazed how this one sounded right of the bat.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japple View Post
I would agree that most do not open up all of a sudden. But most have noticed some changes quite quickly. However, we all know that each guitar is different, and the wood responds at a different rate. I was really amazed how this one sounded right of the bat.
I think guitars opening up is a player-centric concept -- it's all in how people perceive and interpret the changes.

Like any guitar fan, I hope that my guitars will sound "better" with time. And if you asked me how I would define "better", I probably couldn't. I guess I'd hope that my warm guitars have better note definition, and that my trebley guitars have more warmth. Or somewhere along those lines.

I've got about ten acoustic guitars lined up here, ranging from 2 months to 15 years old. All were new when I bought them. To my ear and analysis, none of them has "blossomed" or "opened up" over time.

On certain days, my guitar sounds so much "better" to my ears. If I had to conclude that it had "opened up", I would have to conclude that it would've shut down a couple days later.

Through the typical life cycle of a set of strings, a guitar will have so many personalities. Other factors include how well a guitar is tuned, the relative humidity levels, the string action, and so much more.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:27 AM

Here's a quick video clip I just did using the iPad -- available in 1080p...

http://youtu.be/DHGfmv6x3RU
Old 10-21-2012, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Excellent job with the video!
Old 10-21-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Here's a quick video clip I just did using the iPad -- available in 1080p...

http://youtu.be/DHGfmv6x3RU
Thank you, Joe! Very, very nice!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop