The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-25-2020, 01:24 AM

Default Does removing the End Pin Jack improve tone?

I've got a guitar without a pickup. Since I play it mostly on the couch, I am debating if it might sound better removing the end pin Jack. This would create an additional hole, which could theoretically increase volume output and sustain similar to a soundport. What do you think?
000JR-10E Shawn Mendes
Old 09-25-2020, 02:25 AM

Tiny and on the other side of the guitar from the ear, two things working against its effectiveness.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:26 AM

No, not to the point where it makes an audible difference to the human ear. Perhaps bats that send sound waves bouncing around to guide their flight paths could tell the difference, but all the bats I’ve encountered in real life are remarkably indifferent to the subtle nuances of the acoustic guitar....

More to the point, I have had those endpin jacks removed and briefly left the empty hole unfilled, and during those times while there was that gap it made no discernible difference in either the tone or the volume level produced by those guitars.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-25-2020, 04:12 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

I would vote no as well.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain1231 View Post
I've got a guitar without a pickup. Since I play it mostly on the couch, I am debating if it might sound better removing the end pin Jack. This would create an additional hole, which could theoretically increase volume output and sustain similar to a soundport. What do you think?
I think this is ridiculous.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:00 AM

Removing the end pin jack is unlikely. However if the pickup itself is still there removing that “may” have an impact. Mainly I speak of experience of removing those old fishman thinline pickups which rode under the saddle.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:06 AM

I can't find the words to express what would no doubt be my utter amazement at this making a difference in sound.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 09-25-2020, 06:17 AM

Your theory is good, but any change would be so tiny that the human ear can not notice. At least MY ears sure wouldn't.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:28 AM

Hi Iain. I think this is the first time I've ever seen this question asked here on the AGF and it's actually a refreshing question.

I'm going with the "No" crowd that you'll be able to differentiate a difference.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:44 AM

This question begs the response of “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.” I remember one time I had an end pin slip out and cause one of my guitars to hit the floor. While it didn’t adversely affect the tone of the guitar I’m sure it could have.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain1231 View Post
Hi Iain

It's a free experiment.

I personally cannot see how an end-port that small would do anything for me as a player, nor that it would affect sustain (not even theoretically).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-25-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robey View Post
I think this is ridiculous.
well...they do say there's no such thing as a bad question, but I can't see how it could possible make any changes at all to the tone..
Old 09-25-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
This question begs the response of “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.” I remember one time I had an end pin slip out and cause one of my guitars to hit the floor. While it didn’t adversely affect the tone of the guitar I’m sure it could have.
I would think the guitar hitting the floor would definitely have more potential to changing the sound than would the pin / jack not being there. no???
Old 09-25-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
I would think the guitar hitting the floor would definitely have more potential to changing the sound than would the pin / jack not being there. no???
Naturally.

whm
Old 09-25-2020, 01:42 PM

The presence -- or lack thereof -- of the end pin will have as much affect on tone as the color of paint in your living room. Not much..... A 1/2" wavelength (from the 1/2" diameter end pin hole) corresponds to 27,120 Hz, and that is far above the range of human hearing. As Wade said earlier, echo-locating bats or your dog might notice but probably won't care. No human can hear that frequency.

It is an easy experiment if you want to try. Remove the pin and play for a day, then put it back in and play again. Just be aware that there will probably be more tonal variation from loosening and re-snugging the strings to get inside the guitar body, if that is needed. I happen to believe that most of the perceptible differences -- if any -- from new bridge pins, saddle or nut materials, etc are attributable to having slackened and tightened the strings to replace the part in question. Try that sometime and see if you notice a difference. YMMV of course.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion