The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-21-2020, 05:33 AM
Charter Member

In pondering my response to the various replies I remeasured the relief. With a capo on fret number 1 I placed a metal straightedge on fret 1 and 12, then used my feeler gauge to measure. This time I came up with .013 at the lowest fret, fret number 5 I think. This method is much easier for me than using a round flexible string to measure against. So less excessive relief than I thought but still a fair bit too much . Is it enough to plane and refret or do I play and see if I stop noticing. I also lowered the already low saddle on the treble side and found that everything feels better somewhat. Thanks for the information so far.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:49 AM
Charter Member

And in answer to my own question, it all depends on how well I can perform the work. If I do a good job, lower the relief by a third or a bit more and finish up with all looking and feeling correct I will be well pleased. On the other hand if I botch this and end up somewhere else...
Looking forward to your thoughts. I have gone ahead and ordered some new fretwire.

Last edited by offkey; 09-21-2020 at 06:01 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair