The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-18-2020, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Default Neck finish?

Hey all, so I’m going to go ahead and get a chunkier neck from Warmoth to install on my old Peavey Predator, but trying to defray costs as I don’t want to sink a lot into the project. So, question is : is it feasible to either leave the neck unfinished or to finish it myself? If so, what should I use? The cost nearly doubles when adding a finish on warmoth. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:42 PM

Warmoth necks come with sealer on them but I believe you have to put a hard finish on them or it voids their warranty. I would go with satin and something that gets hard so it stays satin as long as possible. It's going to get slick with hand wear no matter what you put on.

I spray commercial grade catalyzed finish so I can't advise as to which off-the-shelf product is best. I would guess you can find a pint of something water base at the local big box.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy View Post
Warmoth necks come with sealer on them but I believe you have to put a hard finish on them or it voids their warranty. I would go with satin and something that gets hard so it stays satin as long as possible. It's going to get slick with hand wear no matter what you put on.

I spray commercial grade catalyzed finish so I can't advise as to which off-the-shelf product is best. I would guess you can find a pint of something water base at the local big box.
Thanks. I found reference to people using this stuff....any thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Cas...0540197&sr=8-3
Old 09-20-2020, 03:45 PM

Yes, LOTS of builders use it as opposed to spraying. You can build up as thick of a finish as you like. I have a spray rig so I never used it, but lots of people get good results with it.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Actually just measured the peavey neck again, and while the neck at the nut and body are the same width as a standard Strat neck, the neck pocket depth is not. Not being experienced with this stuff, trying to make modifications doesn’t sound like a good idea. So I guess it’ll just be new pickups for it. Kinda hate the feel of the neck currently, but I’ll probably end up leaving it at the lake house for occasional use.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars