The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-15-2020, 05:03 AM
Charter Member

Default Les Paul jr neck. 1.8”?

Waiting on the friendly fedex truck to deliver a 2015 LPjr from reverb. Always wanted one of these no-frills slab guitars, and what appealed to me with this one (aside from the cherry red body) was a pic of a caliper showing a 1.8” nut! I have large hands and prefer wider necks within reason, so I cant wait to try this one.

Searched here for info, but nothing on this neck size. Any LP jr players with insight into this odd size? The guitarvis a 2015 “100th birthday” model. Was this a personal preference of LP’s?

Thanks,
Dave

Ps..any links to appropriate sites/forums. I realize this is really an acoustic forum at heart!
Old 09-15-2020, 09:02 AM

I understand the 2015 Gibsons had the wider nut, BUT they kept the string spacing for 1 11/16 (normal Gibson electric nut). If your larger hands wanted to take advantage of the extra real estate and increase string spacing to "normal" 1 3/4, you'd need to replace the nut. You can get drop-in nuts that require a little filing/sanding to fit from places like Stew Mac, or have luthier make one up (unless you're handy in that area).
Old 09-15-2020, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Thanks chrisN. This one had the nut already replaced with wider string spacing. (Exactly like
I would have done). Apparently, they came with a zero-fret nut set up, and some really bad auto tuners. Im doing a little research to learn about that, since it seems all the 2015 Jrs On reverb are modified to standard nuts/tuners.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Thanks chrisN. This one had the nut already replaced with wider string spacing. (Exactly like
I would have done). Apparently, they came with a zero-fret nut set up, and some really bad auto tuners. Im doing a little research to learn about that, since it seems all the 2015 Jrs On reverb are modified to standard nuts/tuners.
Now you know about all that I do about the 2015 Gibsons. That was a year of experimentation in a hide-bound leisure activity and most of it didn't work out (unless one craved a wider fretboard). I think the nut was brass or another quick-wearing soft metal.

I have no experience, but understand that many players who regularly played in atypical tunings thought the robo-tuners were great for quick tuning changes between songs without a guitar change - just push a button and instant alternative tuning. Most didn't need that feature and saw unneeded complexity.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Agree with all that! Going to try and call Gibson to see if anyone can se5 me straight. The seller was pretty certain that no mods were done on this, but it has regular tuners and a tusq nut. (No zero fret). Pure curiosity on my part, as I prefer it this way. I got the feeling the seller on reverb was a little shy to admit any mods out of fear I was going to cry foul.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Agree with all that! Going to try and call Gibson to see if anyone can se5 me straight. The seller was pretty certain that no mods were done on this, but it has regular tuners and a tusq nut. (No zero fret). Pure curiosity on my part, as I prefer it this way. I got the feeling the seller on reverb was a little shy to admit any mods out of fear I was going to cry foul.
Here's the Gibson Legacy site info on the 2015 LP Jr. -http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/USA/Les-Paul-Junior.aspx

Looks like it should have come with the tuners and zero fret adjustable nut. In any case, looks like 100% fun.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:00 AM
Charter Member

Thanks. I came across that too, looking for a number to call. Im SO glad mine doesnt have those g-force tuners! I thought *I* had trouble tuning—those have a 29 page manual on how to tune!!! No thanks, I’ll struggle with my ears or polytune. See? Im not opposed to technology- as long as it makes life easier!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars