The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-02-2020, 08:18 AM

Default Most underrated/unknown great Electric builder?

Hey All,

Just thought I'd ask what you guys think is the most underrated/unknown great brand of electrics.

For me it has to be Grosh guitars. What he does with his pickups is just amazing. His Strat build makes custom shops sound like MIM Fenders.

His P90's are bar none, the best sounding P90's I've ever heard, and actually sound like P90's are supposed to.

Then he has these amazing humbuckers that split so well, and go in sizes from a mini-humbucker all the way up to a searing high output PAF.

Then he has the nicest neck I've ever touched on any electric guitar.

If you want a taste here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAV-L3Tko7M
Old 09-02-2020, 01:06 PM

If you appreciate fine woods and impeccable hand craftsmanship, Vinnie Fodera - arguably the John D'Angelico of the electric bass guitar - makes some eye-popping (and expensive) 6-strings as well...
Old 09-02-2020, 01:12 PM

I will say that in my opinion the most underrated guitar company is Ernie Ball Music Man. The majority of electric players have never held one yet these guys in San Louis Obispo, CA are putting out some of the finest electric guitars on the planet. The quality and craftmanship is right there with PRS and other high end makers but they are better than PRS. Their necks are unbelievable. The gunstock wax oil they use for their necks is like nothing else. The tuners they use, their electronics, the DiMarzio pups or their own pups are fantastic. Their body shapes, especially the Axis are nice. Although they do have some strange shapes that are not my taste. It's no wonder why guys such as Steve Morse, John Petrucci, Albert Lee and Steve Lukather play them exclusively and have for so long. They are made to order for music stores so they are not hanging on the walls like other guitars which is why so many have never played one.

I love the 2 I have. I hardly, and possible will never, play my PRS, Tele, LP or Strat again. There's no need because my MM blows them all away. It's the Axis neck that blows them all away and what I love the most. I have a double humbucker Axis SS and a P90 Axis Sport.
Old 09-02-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
I will say that in my opinion the most underrated guitar company is Ernie Ball Music Man.
Those Albert Lees look very very cool! No idea how they sound, but I love the aesthetic.

I think Hagstrom is a really good brand. The Swede is an oft-ignored alternative to Gibson Les Pauls.
Old 09-02-2020, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

La Grange in Israel has been quietly making gorgeous guitars. I was fortunate to find him a few years back, when the guitars were more a little less expensive, but I will say they are certainly worth what he charges for them now. He is friendly and passionate about building stellar instruments.

http://lagrange.guitars/

I have a Wheel in a white doghair finish. I swapped out the pickups. The original Sheptone P90s were excellent, but I wanted to see what I could do to eliminate any hum (not that there was much). I tried Mojotone Quiet Coils and was not happy. I went with Kinman and have been thrilled.

Another creative dude is Rich Chaffins of Agape guitars. Rich builds a great guitar, and I have a two-humbucker T-style from him. He loves to get creative with wood choice and aesthetics. Does some very cool glow-in-the-dark stuff that is very impressive.

http://www.agapeguitars.com/

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 09-02-2020, 04:52 PM

Samick!

Better known for making guitars for other guitar companies, their Samick brand Greg Bennett designed guitars (in particular their Royale series semis starting from the RL2 upwards) and just about every Samick "jazz box" I've seen/heard punch way, way above their weight in terms of quality, sound and cost.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:26 AM

CP Thornton
Old 09-05-2020, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

I think G&L is less well known compared to Fender yet arguably as good or better IMO

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-05-2020, 08:39 PM

Heritage. Twice as good as Gibson, half the price.
Saez Marin G90 (Cedar/EIR)
Old 09-05-2020, 08:59 PM

Dan Ransom in San Francisco is an incredible builder.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
I will say that in my opinion the most underrated guitar company is Ernie Ball Music Man. The majority of electric players have never held one yet these guys in San Louis Obispo, CA are putting out some of the finest electric guitars on the planet. The quality and craftmanship is right there with PRS and other high end makers but they are better than PRS. Their necks are unbelievable. The gunstock wax oil they use for their necks is like nothing else. The tuners they use, their electronics, the DiMarzio pups or their own pups are fantastic. Their body shapes, especially the Axis are nice. Although they do have some strange shapes that are not my taste. It's no wonder why guys such as Steve Morse, John Petrucci, Albert Lee and Steve Lukather play them exclusively and have for so long. They are made to order for music stores so they are not hanging on the walls like other guitars which is why so many have never played one.

I love the 2 I have. I hardly, and possible will never, play my PRS, Tele, LP or Strat again. There's no need because my MM blows them all away. It's the Axis neck that blows them all away and what I love the most. I have a double humbucker Axis SS and a P90 Axis Sport.

my 3...been gigging EBMM for years...(not a good pic but the only one i have accessible of all 3 together)

as for unknown...until Ron went to head up Fender's Custom Shop, Thorn guitars...

1990 Alvarez DY-50
2019 McPherson Sable
Godin A6 Ultra
lots of electrics and amps!
Old 09-06-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab.phila View Post
Heritage. Twice as good as Gibson, half the price.
I've always wanted a Heritage. I wonder how things are there the past couple of years after the 'walk out'?
Old 09-06-2020, 06:04 PM

It seems like their dealer network keeps growing, hopefully that's a good thing. Wolfe Guitars are their largest and longest dealer, and I bet they have a really good perspective. Mine is a 2017 and I played it with a Gibson 335 owner and he didn't want to put mine down.
Saez Marin G90 (Cedar/EIR)
Old 09-07-2020, 09:21 AM

Mark Grant in Northern California can build you an electric or acoustic guitar or rebuild the engine in your hot rod.
Laurent Brondel does incredible work with electric as well as acoustic. I have one of each.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I will say that in my opinion the most underrated guitar company is Ernie Ball Music Man.
They make "professional" instruments. They also aren't afraid to step out of the mainstream box. And to my taste their oddballs are mostly hits.

I would rate G&L at the same level when it comes to "professional" instruments. Not afraid to step out of the box? Not so much...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars