The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-27-2020, 03:09 PM

Default Emerald X20 for Fingerstyle

I am currently considering buying a lefty Emerald X20. I mostly play fingerstyle and have only used my Taylor GS Mini so far, so I wonder about playability of the X20. I'm not a huge guy so I don't really know how playable a bigger guitar will be for me.

My questions:

- Is there anyone owning an X20 with a preference for small body guitar and can tell me how you got along with it?

- How suitable is the X20 for fingerstyle guitar?

- I often play amplified. Which of pick-up options would you recommend? I couldn't find much information on the difference between the LR Baggs Element Active System and the Anthem.

Given that I play lefty I am used to having to order online without having the chance to try the guitar in advance. However given the price tag I need to my research first.

Thanks for you help!
Old 08-27-2020, 03:41 PM

I play about 75% bare nails fingerstyle, and the X20 works great for me. It has replaced almost all of my Taylor GA and GS guitars and X20 has become my go-to daily player. With Emerald they *only* sell direct, so your options are new/sight-unseen or used usually through this forum. Even right-handers won't find one at dealers unless they get very lucky.

I don't use a pickup much anymore, but my X20 (bought used) came with the Anthem. The Emerald guitars that were bought new from stock have the VTC pickup system, again virtually unused except for function testing when brand new. I wasn't going to pay extra to have them remove a pickup that was already installed in a stock model, do I just took it. My understanding is the the Anthem blends a mic element with the piezo UST element for a more natural sound. The Fishman website probably tells you more about the comparison. Wish that I could help you more, but since I do not perform any longer, I really do not plug in. The current custom order X20 is being built without pickup, but will be surface prepped inside for a K&K should I go for that someday.

I also have a 00 sized Blackbird Lucky 13 which is smaller than the X20, but the bevels and contours of the X20 make it feel one size smaller, and it is so much more comfortable despite being a GA sized body. If someday I am limited to only one guitar it would be the X20.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

I'm 5' 5" and all of about 142 pounds, reasonably athletically built for a 57-year old. I don't know how that compares to you as a "not a huge guy", but at least you can have a frame of reference for my comments. My daughter has a GS Mini. The body is comfortable for me, but after a while I feel a little cramped with the shorter scale. I like a slightly larger acoustic guitar. I have a RainSong H-OM, very comfy. I just got a Sable, also very comfortable. I tried an older X20...not so comfortable; the spot where the guitar hit my ribs seemed a bit low and dug into my rib cage a little. I kept thinking that this would be an amazing instrument if it only had a rib bevel.

Fast forward to today, the guitar has a rib bevel. While I have not had the opportunity to test one, I'm pretty confident that it will make the guitar more comfortable. In short, you might find it to be a good fit. You can order it custom and get a slightly smaller scale, if you like.

Not sure if that helps, but hope so. If you have any questions, let me know.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 08-27-2020, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Due to the ergonomics of the bevels, contours, no heel neck, excellent fret access, my new X20 is as comfortable to play as my RainSong and 00-18 Martin. I've gotten used to the 25 1/2" scale length (the RainSong and Martin are shorter scale,) and it has it's own advantages, especially when using a capo. The guitar is super sensitive and responds to the lightest touch. I've actually been strumming less strong than usual when I want more volume. I play with a mix of strumming and picking, but when my youngest son played it last week (he's much better than me, and often plays finger style,) it sounded great. Another good thing is that unlike guitars made of wood by a manufacturer (like Martin, Taylor, etc.) you don't have to worry about one X20 sounding better than another.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 08-27-2020, 05:30 PM

I just received an X20 and while it will not be my primary guitar, it is getting a lot of playing time. Mainly due to trying to get my hand to adapt to the 2-1/4” wide neck at the 12th fret. With what few bar chords I play, it’s not much of a problem but wrapping the thumb around the low E string that far down doesn’t do it for me. I may still have one special ordered with the neck I want.

I think you will be happy with everything about that guitar if the wider neck doesn’t bother you around the 10/12th fret area. Try any guitar with that width and if it works for you then most likely the Emerald will be a good guitar for you.
Old 08-27-2020, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

My primary guitar, up until a couple of years ago, was a Martin 0-16NY - the so-called 'parlour' size.

It's petite, and very well-proportioned. 12 frets to the body, 24.9" scale, 1 7/8" nut. I love this guitar. I've owned it for 36 years - we are well-bonded, after all this time, and it's going nowhere.

My X20 has replaced it as the guitar of choice. It's just so darn comfortable - and would probably be even more so with the new rib bevel. The Martin, while I still love it dearly, frankly feels lumpy by comparison.

I play almost exclusively fingerstyle. Bare finger, or a little bit of nail (my preference). For me, it's my dream guitar. I can't over-emphasize the ergonomics. And it sounds great, too.

Can't comment on pickups - I never plug in, so none of my guitars have them.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-27-2020, 06:15 PM

I forgot to mention, this X20 came with the upgraded Anthem pickup and while I normally like the K-K mini , this pickup has really sounded very good. In fact it makes this particular guitar sound more “woody” to me.
As has been said, the Emerald is very comfortable to play as far as fitting your body and a good warm sounding tone. If I primarily played with a flatpick the neck would not be an issue for me.
Martin:’67 D28/‘90 D18MB/‘98 D28LF #21 /‘10 OM28V /‘17 D18 & 0000-18 Sinker Mahogany
‘21 D28A aged Martin
‘08 HD28V
‘12 D2HA & ‘23 D1A Collings
‘98 Gibson Chet Atkins CG
‘21 Gretsch G6120 Eddie Cochran
‘22 Gretsch G6120 Brian Setzer Smoke
‘18 Gretsch G6128T-57VS-CDG
‘98 Gibson E Scruggs Golden Deluxe
‘07 Osborne Chief
‘64Gibson RB-250
Old 08-28-2020, 06:28 AM

As the former owner of Earl’s X20, and a fingerstyle player primarily I can say the X20 is excellent for that. I tend to smaller bodied guitars as well(think Taylor GC’s). The only problems I had were ergonomic with my fretting hand getting some pain after long sessions( all on me, not sure why) and occasionally the fretboard extension was caught by my thumb when plucking the 6th string, but the new fretboard solves that. The tone still haunts me and my wife, so there is a possibility of a custom neck profile order someday.
What impressed me most about the X20 initially was the dynamic range with fingerstyle. My Sable sounds great but is a bit quieter without the pick, at least for the player, fwiw.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

I was just beginning to play finger style when I had an X20. For me, the primary factors were the string spacing and scale length. The string spacing at the bridge is 2 1/4", which I find good for finger picking - I prefer a little wider but 2 1/4 is fine. The scale length isn't a deal breaker for me at all, although I've come to prefer the shorter 24.9" scale for finger style. But one of the primary guitars I learned to finger pick on was a Martin 000-15SM, which has the same string spacing and scale length as the X20 and I never had any problem with that instrument so I trust I wouldn't have with the X20 either. My only acoustic now is a CEO-7, which has a bit wider string spacing and the shorter scale and I prefer it, but not by a lot.

I'd say if you're ok with a full scale guitar, the X20 would be great for finger style. Coming from a GS Mini though, the scale length may take some getting used to, being essentially 2" longer. Even a 24.9" scale would probably feel foreign. If you like the feel of a GS mini, you might want to think about an X7 instead of an X20. It's got a similar feeling neck but has a 24" scale, which is only about a half inch longer than what you're used to...

-Ray
Old 08-28-2020, 06:55 AM

Hopefully you are left handed... I play finger style a lot.. works really well.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-28-2020, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I'd say if you're ok with a full scale guitar, the X20 would be great for finger style. Coming from a GS Mini though, the scale length may take some getting used to, being essentially 2" longer. Even a 24.9" scale would probably feel foreign. If you like the feel of a GS mini, you might want to think about an X7 instead of an X20. It's got a similar feeling neck but has a 24" scale, which is only about a half inch longer than what you're used to...

-Ray
Or, you could just capo the X20 at the first fret, which effectively represents a 24” scale - get used to that, and then lose the capo
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-28-2020, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Or, you could just capo the X20 at the first fret, which effectively represents a 24” scale - get used to that, and then lose the capo
Right, or that!
Old 08-28-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
That is exactly what I did to "audition" a shorter scale before placing my custom order. I can play the 25.5" scale of my current X20 just fine, but generally prefer shorter scale lengths these days. After two weeks with a capo at the first fret exclusively, I was convinced and placed my custom order for 24.6" scale length. (That matches my custom X20-12). I had also asked for only 20 frets because the 24 fret version would sometimes have the fret board getting in my way. But the new end contour takes care of that nicely. I may end up keeping both using the 25.5" for my altered tuning repertoire.

So why am I spending all that money when a capo actually worked OK? The side dots are important as I play up the neck, so it was better to have the right scale length built in. When the custom X20 gets here I will post an A/B comparison of original versus new & improved.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:12 AM

Thanks for your replies!

I think about getting a custom 24.6'' scale length instead of the default 25.5''. I do own an electric (I don't play that much though) with a scale length of 24.75'' and it still feels fines fine for me. 25.5'' may be harder to get used to coming from my main GS mini.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:52 AM

Going with a shorter call, does it make sense reducing the number of frets down from 24 to 22 or 20?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber