The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 08-19-2020, 07:02 PM

Default Gram Parsons : Farther Along

Some insightful (and maybe controversial lyrics in this song by the Burrito Brothers) Wish there was an actual LIVE video of Gram playing this, another inspirational song.

Didn't know Gram played Gibsons

MGF
Old 08-19-2020, 09:32 PM

Was this during the Jesus people movement? Several groups at that time had what you might call religious songs. For example, Jesus is just alright with me by the Dobies.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

Default Jesus Movement music

So there’s tons of music much from traditional hymns, etc. Chris Hillman was in this particular group, Ever Call Ready. The Burritos and Hilman’s stuff was way above the “Jesus music” scene. IMHO

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...FbjSIQ3KrU8F3B

2021 Taylor 150e
2022 Gibson J45 standard
2016 Martin DR Centennial
2019 Epiphone PR5
Fishman Loudbox Artist
Boss VE-8
JBL Eon One
Redeye pre amp
Old 08-20-2020, 06:22 AM

It's clearly Chris Hillman singing the lead on Farther Along. Early on, Chris' interest in gospel music was evident with his performance of Merle Travis' I Am A Pilgrim on The Sweetheart of The Rodeo album. Sounds to me like Gram's part in the recording was piano and backing vocals with Bernie Leadon and Chris Hillman's overdubs.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 08-20-2020, 08:18 AM

While looking up International Submarine Band (Courtesy of CatDaddy's post in a related thread)

Apparently, Graham was studying Theology at Harvard University?

WOW, that's a new one on me, looks like there is some question on his major though.

Good Wiki article write up on this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...Submarine_Band

MGF
Old 08-20-2020, 08:22 AM

Gram studying Theology at Harvard sounds so much like an Urban Legend

MGF
Old 08-20-2020, 09:28 AM

sometimes people struggling with demons reach out to religion for rescue. It is well confirmed that he struggled with his demons so it might be true but the lure of the other life was too great and he plunged headlong into the musicians life. Thanks for the link, it helps me fill out my research of Gram.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:52 AM

I am very surprised anyone on this site might suggest these lyrics to be controversial. Chris Hillman started out as a Mandolin picker, and he crossed paths or was in many pioneering California Bluegrass bands. As such he would have played dozens of gospel numbers, this is just another, though one of the better ones. Attributed to W B Stevens it has been recorded by over 100 groups including the Flying Burrito Brothers 1970. I heard it first on the 1987 Trio LP and knew through Emmylou of the Gram Parsons connection. I read that an impromptu version was sung at Gram Parsons funeral ceremony.
Old 08-22-2020, 10:25 AM

perhaps its controversial because this forum doesnt allow any religious statements. Hillman and Parsons came out of country music and bluegrass which often include religious music. I dont think either , especially Parsons is making a personal statement. Just look at Parsons Nuedie suit. Thats his personal statement. It clearly states that anything religious is behind him.
Old 08-22-2020, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

A friend loaned me this book - which basically told me WAY more than I ever wanted to know about Gram! - "Twenty Thousand Roads", by David N. Meyer... lots of interesting stuff in this book - a LOT of answers to the theories being bandied about in this thread!

When I first read any sort of an interview with Gram, he talked about what he called "Cosmic American Music"... he had this vision of blending ALL the different genres of music together, but with a "country tilt" to it...

I loved "Sweetheart of the Rodeo", so I was right on top of "The Gilded Palace of Sin" when it came out... seemed REALLY country to me, despite the fuzz-tone on the pedal steel... took me a decade before I realized that "Dark End Of The Street" and "Do Right, Woman" were actually R&B tunes!!! I think I heard Aretha's version of "Do Right Woman" and nearly fell over!

In his songs, Gram always wrestled with whatever demons were inside him - and he was raised in the Southern Christian ethic, so it seems natural that he would bring Gospel and "God" into his songs. That's one of the many aspects of his tunes that I love, even if I don't quite understand what the heck he's talking about, what comes shining through the tunes is very easily understood... the feeling of them. Songs like "A Song For You", "In My Hour of Darkness", "The New Soft Shoe"; even the Devil that comes in on the end of "How Much I've Lied" evokes some sort of religious feeling to me.

Gram loved the Louvin Brothers' songs - and they were famous for their religious content...

Even looking at Gram's Nudie suit... there are crosses on there, along with all the various substances pictured...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-22-2020, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinGibsonFan View Post
Gram studying Theology at Harvard sounds so much like an Urban Legend

MGF
If I recall correctly, he was there for one semester. Someone can correct this recollection if in error!
Old 08-22-2020, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Old 08-23-2020, 06:38 AM

For anyone interested in hearing Gram Parsons performing live I highly recommend the album Gram Parsons Live 1973. I've heard many of the bootleg recordings of Gram and had access to some recordings of his that were never released; this album is by far the best quality recording of anything I've heard.

From wikipedia: Live 1973 is a live album by Gram Parsons and the Fallen Angels. It was recorded at Ultra-Sonic Studios in Hempstead, New York on March 13, 1973 during a live radio broadcast from WLIR-FM, a station located in Garden City, New York. The timing of the recording thus sandwiched it between Parsons' only two solo studio albums, GP, and Grievous Angel, although it was not officially released (on LP) until 1982, long after Parsons' 1973 death at age 26.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 08-23-2020, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Nice! They finally put out this recording, eh? I've heard various takes of different live recordings of Gram and the band during this period, but it's good to know that there's a decent quality version available! Gonna have to get it for the collection...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-23-2020, 12:57 PM

Get ready to pay for Fallen Angels.

Streaming it from an Apple app is Free and the MP3 version is reasonable.

If you want an actual CD hardcopy (which I usually want) it's gonna cost you $99

I'm surprised Rhino Records doesn't have a reasonable price for this.

MGF

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN