The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-31-2019, 03:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgr40 View Post
Bruce,
I was wondering if you had built many guitars from cuban mahogany? I know you have built many, many guitars, but I was wondering how you feel about this species(its one of my top 3 favorite woods). I know pernambuco is one of your favorites. I may peruse your website again and check the record there for your cuban hog's of the past....
Some of this can be very dense. Occasionally I see a piece I think might have the same density as mad rose.
But maybe I just like the 3d sheen
Mike McGrail
Bob already spoke the truth, but I will add a bit.

I would be surprised to learn that there is a destiny overlap between Cuban mahogany and MadRose. Still, Cuban in my experience is noticeably denser than the Honduran mahogany I know better. The density is not so much in weight as it is in the texture of the wood, which means density isn't the best word choice. There is a quality (the right word for this exquisite material) to it that is like picking up a bead blasted Cognac bottle, it just exudes class. It has great surface hardness and very small pores. While I don't think poorly of any of my mahogany guitars, the one Schoenberg 000 I made from Cuban stands out in my memory as the queen of the crop.

I remain excited about pernambuco, partly because not only does it make fantastic guitars, but also because I had never heard of anyone using it before I did, and I felt like I had discovered something special. Because of what makes it great for violin bows, I imagined it would be great for guitars. It took me 3 years to find my first guitar appropriate set, and now I have made over 20 guitars from it! I have P for about 9 more still in my woodlocker.
Old 01-01-2020, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Regretably, I’ve not had an opportunity to play one of Bruce’s guitars. The luthier that built my Cuban Mahogany guitar said his Cuban sets were typically about 15% more dense than his Honduran Mahogany. The Cuban set I chose was really dense (sourced from Brad Goodman); I was told it was an additional 15-20% more dense than the rest of his Cuban sets. In any case, great tone, texture, and chatoyance.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 01-01-2020, 06:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

I’ve known your handle for a long time, Chuck, and I cannot image how you’re avoided my guitars for so long. It’s safe enough as long as you make sure it’s not for sale before you pick it up.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Today I begin my first commissioned piece of the new decade . . . unless you're one of those people who think the 20's start next year. My wife and I have argued seriously about that twice, and on opposite sides each time. Actually!

The first move for me in the guitar making process, after choosing the materials, is to join the plates. These are Cuban mahogany and German spruce courtesy of Martin Guhl. While these plates could be making another Penngrove or even a D, this will be a single 0.

Old 01-03-2020, 05:25 AM
Charter Member

Default Decade starts in 2001, 2011 and this decade January 1, 2021....

There is no day 0 or year 0. We start months and years and, hence, decades and centuries with 1. January 1 is the first day of every year. Every first day of a month is 1. There is no 0 day of a month. The first year of the decade is 1-1-21. The first day of this century was 1-1-01.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbypad View Post
There is no day 0 or year 0. We start months and years and, hence, decades and centuries with 1. January 1 is the first day of every year. Every first day of a month is 1. There is no 0 day of a month. The first year of the decade is 1-1-21. The first day of this century was 1-1-01.
Nah. I was born on the the first day of my life, but I wasn't one for a year. Did I not exist until I was one? Referring to a decade is just a kind of verbal shorthand anyway: it would be ridiculous to speak of "the 20's" and not include the year 2020. Is 20 a teen? And there was a century zero too, in the sense that there was an implicit zero before the year in the first century C.E.

All silliness aside, you are building some seriously beautiful guitars now, Bruce. Extraordinary so soon after serious surgery.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

My next step is to surface the plates so I can see what I've really got, and then template them. Here are the templated plates in both natural and indoor light.

Old 01-03-2020, 04:25 PM

Bruce, I do agree it seems unlikely there would be an overlap in density between mad rose and cuban. But I have a log or two of cuban that seems particularly(incredibly) dense. If I get a chance someday, I am going to do a little weight experimentation. Maybe next week.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Looking good, Bruce!

This is really going to be schweeeet, Dennis.

There are going to be some awesome guitars for show and tell at BIG(er)!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 01-04-2020, 12:22 AM
Charter Member

Hung out w/ Bruce this afternoon, and got some shots of his rosette process, so thought I’d post a few here -

First - locate and drill a ¼” hole for the center of the sound hole, and to act as a center pivot for routing the rosette -

Then, a fresh 1/16” bit in the Dremel, and some very fine adjustments on the base to create the concentric routs to install the purfling and abalone -

Careful deburring of the edges of the grooves leaves some very finely machined grooves that are just a few thousandths wider than needed, and about 80% the thickness of the top -

After letting the hide glue pot warm up, each groove is slathered with hot glue and the purfling is pressed into place, one ring at a time. The center ring is made up of 7 separate strips that have to be fit in carefully but quickly before the glue sets -

After all the rings are glued in and pressed down tightly, Bruce applies another application of cyanoacrylate glue to the center shell ring to make sure it is fully attached. The hide glue prevents the cyanoacrylate from getting into the end grain of the spruce, which causes staining that may not be noticed until the finish is applied - this has to set for a few hours before being scraped flush.

Rather than wait, we went out and grabbed some dinner - I’m sure Bruce will post a pic when it’s all cleaned up -
Old 01-04-2020, 03:47 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Thanks for posting the in-process pics Tadol. Beautiful job on the rosette Bruce. Looking schweeet!

I so enjoy watching the process. Wish I could be a bird on your shoulder Bruce. I know, come on out, right? Believe me, if I could I would.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

Wowza! What wood and, it’s great seeing you back in action Bruce.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Very cool--thanks for sharing the process!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 01-04-2020, 01:14 PM

Congrats Dennis, this debuting of your guitars is now an annual B.I.G. tradition and I love it!!!! Come one and all to see this in action (and if you are nice to Dennis, I am sure you can play it too!)!!!
Old 01-04-2020, 02:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Gee, nothing like a bit of pressure to perform!

I have no template for any bracing pattern, and instead draw it onto each top directly. This allows my subconscious to direct subtle metamorphosis of The Work.

Here's the rosette Tad was so kind as to document the creation of:

The 1/16" bit Tad referred to is actually .055", not .062". There must be some problem with his eyes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop