The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2018, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judson View Post
I've played a couple of Pre War models ... have to say that I was extremely impressed.

The play and sound great!

However, they are pretty pricey!

You can go a lot of directions for the money it will take to get you into a Pre War acoustic.

Also, I'm just not a fan of the artificial "relic-ing" they do.

It looks real enough, so they do a good job of emulating the wear & tear a real guitar made before WWII might have, but I still want to create my own wear & tear.
Thanks for weighing in. The consensus seems to be very positive.
The relicing doesn't bother me. You can order them without it.
The tones are surprisingly mature sounding. Not quite as mellow as the real thing, but close enough for a new guitar.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyT View Post
Thanks for weighing in. The consensus seems to be very positive.
The relicing doesn't bother me. You can order them without it.
The tones are surprisingly mature sounding. Not quite as mellow as the real thing, but close enough for a new guitar.
I think you do get some checking, don't you, on the lowest level? it seems they think it's a necessary part of the sound. I can see how they think that.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky2 View Post
I think you do get some checking, don't you, on the lowest level? it seems they think it's a necessary part of the sound. I can see how they think that.
Yes. Their website says their lowest level is comparable to a collector's grade guitar in excellent condition.
And they do say it's part of the sound. I believe there's some truth to that. The best sounding guitars I've ever played had very thin finishes, or next to no finish at all. Electric and acoustic. I don't think that's a coincidence.
But honestly, I don't want to open that can of worms......
Old 02-15-2018, 04:35 PM

They aren’t for everyone though I’m thrilled my lefty J model.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napman41 View Post
They aren’t for everyone though I’m thrilled my lefty J model.
Nice! Please tell me more.......
Old 02-15-2018, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Proof that it's all subjective, I actually just got a custom Huss and Dalton yesterday that I ordered in the fall with a full body thin satin finish to help it feel a little more broken in and speed up the process of me getting nicks and scratches and play it in. The Pre-War I played, to me, felt like it had just been played for years and was all broken in, which bodes well considering it was brand new so it could only get better. If they were 3-4K, I'd probably buy one.

I will be honest that the fact that they aren't pristine, high gloss guitars with some of the more ornate details of things in the price point does seem like they should be cheaper because there isn't the same amount of work and care that has to go into them since it's not their thing. I am not saying that care and thought isn't going into them, by the way, but if you've ever made anything out of wood, a little nick can ruin an entire project and in this case, they can just call it character and move one - the margin for error is in another stratosphere than those making pristinely finished guitars.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
Proof that it's all subjective, I actually just got a custom Huss and Dalton yesterday that I ordered in the fall with a full body thin satin finish to help it feel a little more broken in and speed up the process of me getting nicks and scratches and play it in. The Pre-War I played, to me, felt like it had just been played for years and was all broken in, which bodes well considering it was brand new so it could only get better. If they were 3-4K, I'd probably buy one.

I will be honest that the fact that they aren't pristine, high gloss guitars with some of the more ornate details of things in the price point does seem like they should be cheaper because there isn't the same amount of work and care that has to go into them since it's not their thing. I am not saying that care and thought isn't going into them, by the way, but if you've ever made anything out of wood, a little nick can ruin an entire project and in this case, they can just call it character and move one - the margin for error is in another stratosphere than those making pristinely finished guitars.
I see your point. But I would argue that the level of care and attention to detail employed in this level of aging, is at least equal to that of a pristine guitar. It's the area of focus that is different in pursuit of a different outcome. It's a different skill set.
The reliced, broken in thing is more to my liking. It's certainly not for everyone. Fortunately, we have options.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:13 PM

Interesting that you would mention Molly Tuttle in connection with the Pre-War D-18. I heard her just a couple of days ago on Jim Lauderdale's show on Outlaw Country (Sirius XM). Molly and Jim were both highly complimentary of Pre-War Guitars and the people who make them, and went on at some length about the company.

Her D-18 sounded good, too.

Greg Rappleye
Old 02-15-2018, 05:13 PM

I have one of the earliest "D" they built, I had the guitar Todd now owns at my house for about 5 days and that is the guitar that sold me on them.

Pre*War no longer offers the 0 level of finish, their #1 finish is slightly molested!

For my ear they come close to a true vintage tone, as close as I think you will find in a new guitar. I really enjoy mine along with a 1944 D-18, 1956 D-18 and a 2014 Custom Shop D-18. The owners are great guys and if you order one, you have 5 days to enjoy it. If your not satisfied you simply send it back no questions asked.

Very good guitars, no doubt about it!

Randy
Old 02-15-2018, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Rappleye View Post
Interesting that you would mention Molly Tuttle in connection with the Pre-War D-18. I heard her just a couple of days ago on Jim Lauderdale's show on Outlaw Country (Sirius XM). Molly and Jim were both highly complimentary of Pre-War Guitars and the people who make them, and went on at some length about the company.

Greg Rappleye
Molly makes any guitar sound good. But her Pre War demo really grabbed me.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTA48 View Post
I have one of the earliest "D" they built, I had the guitar Todd now owns at my house for about 5 days and that is the guitar that sold me on them.

Pre*War no longer offers the 0 level of finish, their #1 finish is slightly molested!

For my ear they come close to a true vintage tone, as close as I think you will find in a new guitar. I really enjoy mine along with a 1944 D-18, 1956 D-18 and a 2014 Custom Shop D-18. The owners are great guys and if you order one, you have 5 days to enjoy it. If your not satisfied you simply send it back no questions asked.

Very good guitars, no doubt about it!

Randy
Cool. I appreciate everyone's feedback. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a Pre War. Time to sell my HD-28VR........
Old 02-16-2018, 08:03 AM

If someone wants a RW or hog OM or DN without any Relic work, maybe check out Bob Thompson. I picked up a torrified Adi+rosewood DN last fall. Will be ordering an OM soon.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:07 AM

Default Pre-war guitar company

I like the slight aging that they do. I have owned many old guitars and have been disgusted with the human grunge lurking on the finger boards and tuning pegs. The great relicing that Pre-war does is safe for us and does not look fake in my opinion
Old 09-06-2019, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Saw John Reischman and the Jaybirds on 1st May wih Patrick Sauber on guitar.

Noticed that his guitar had no logo on the headstock. In the interval I approached him and asked "Is your guitar a .... Pre-War" brand?"

He was delighted that an old Limey recognised it, and passed me the guitar and his Blue Chip pick.

We were in a narrow corridor between the audience and the band and it really wasn't a good place to try out a guitar.
It seemed fine and not that "reliced" although I'm not really into the relicing thing.

Seemed like a good guitar - maybe it was the wrong Blue Chip pick for me.

Last Monday we saw Joe Mullins and the Radio Ramblers

it wasn't this guitarist - but , whoever it was he was playing a "Cotten" D18 style. Seemed like a fine ax.

These guys seem to love other guitar nerds asking damfool questions!
Old 09-06-2019, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Rappleye View Post

I sat six feet away from Molly this past June and listened to her play her P*WGC D-18 for about an hour and a half. It sounded dry, woody, fabulous.

Molly played pretty good too!

And for the capo/tuner nuts, she used a Shubb Finetune capo and a Snark tuner.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion