The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 04-18-2017, 01:04 AM

"Hello in There" is my personal favorite.
I've played it regularly for over 40 years.
Sometimes I sing it, sometimes I just run through the chords finger pickin as a lullaby.

How can we accurately assess the influence of John Prines talent?
I dont know.
But my appreciation is immense.

Last edited by woodbox; 04-18-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Sweet Revenge was an island of dry wit in a sea of balls out rock and roll back in the day. The rock has faded away, John Prine's songs are here to stay. God bless John Prine.

Details, please ... can't find anything about it.
From his website: Won't be released until later this month. I think it's the Oh Boy Records website. Looks like a perfect book for a JP geek!

In his first official book, John curates a selection of his favorites songs, photographs and stories from his catalogue.
THE BOOK INCLUDES
Over 100 photographs from John Prine's personal collection
Copies of hand-written lyrics showing how the songs evolved
Features notes from John about the songs and photographs
Lyrics and guitar chords for over 60 classic John Prine songs
Takamine F-451S 12 String (1977)
Old 04-18-2017, 05:39 AM
Charter Member

Prine is one of the songwriters I admire the most. He can create heart wrenching masterpieces like Sam Stone and Hello In There and then do something like Dear Abbey or The Other Side Of Town. And he never takes himself too seriously, he's just having fun and telling stories that need to be told. Too often as songwriters we feel like everything we create has to be deep and meaningful and tug at the heart strings but really we just need to talk to people. They like to laugh more than they like to cry. Tell stories that need to be told but also remember that you gotta lift people up and lighten their load too. John Prine is the master of that. Such a talent.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 04-18-2017, 06:42 AM

I was about 14 or 15 when my older brother (my greatest musical influence) brought home "Prime Prine" in 1977. That started my appreciation and admiration for John Prine. As I went through life I learned to play most all his tunes by osmosis. I was jamming at Wintergrass a few years back and someone asked for "Bruised Orange (Chain of Sorrow)". I had never played it before, but out it came words and all. You just soak 'em all up over time. I truly can't say which of his songs is my favorite. I play "All the Best", "Spanish Pipedream" and "Flashback Blues" a lot lately. Love to play "Sour Grapes", "A Good Time" and "One Red Rose". Back about 18 years ago I played "The 20th Century is Almost Over" quite a bit (another great collaboration with Steve Goodman). Man, such a great songwriter, and so well loved (especially considering only two of his songs ever get commercial radio airplay, and then only when covered by others). I sat through a whole crappy John Mellencamp movie just because John Prine had a small part in it. Only saw him live three times, the latest about a year ago in Seattle.

I'm still dumbfounded when I run across people my age who've never heard of John Prine.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:56 AM

We're big Prine fans as well....Have been since that first album.

When I first started hanging out at our local open-mic club, in the early 70s, it was also the unnoficial home for the "VVAW"... The Vietnam Veterans Against The War.

These guys would, after a few beers, all link arms and sing Sam Stone together.... Pretty powerful experience....
Old 04-18-2017, 08:07 AM

I got to see him in a small auditorium in college in the late 70's. I had some of his albums and really liked his material. Seeing him live was another thing - he had that unique ability to completely draw you into his performance, he was so relaxed with the crowd, the distance from your seat to the stage disappeared. A John Prine show was a great hang.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

I sometimes sit out in the courtyard at a local tap room and play quietly. One evening recently as I was playing The Other Side Of Town, a guy asked me who that was. I told him and he asked me if I knew Sam Stone. I did it for him and his girlfriend, but the cool part is this: they couldn't have been much older than 23 or so. John Prine's songs are not only poignant, but they span generations quite easily (most of 'em anyway). Sam Stone could just as easily have been written about Iraq Vets.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil View Post
While Jesse Winchester is special, John Prine is in a class all his own, for me. Everything on that first album is a masterpiece. I've been a big fan ever since my brother in law turned me on to it back in 1976. I've been a lifelong fan and I finally got to see him live last November in Mobile. When he did Hello In There, I teared up. My wife caught me and gave me a smile only a wife can give. Pure magic that.

My favorite cut on the first album is Donald and Lydia. Parts of it speak directly to a very lonely time, a long time ago.

One last note - he has a book coming out soon. I've pre-ordered it, I can't wait for it to show up.
That's interesting. It was my Brother in law who turned me on to Prine about 1976 as well.

Sweet Revenge album was my intro. I've seen John about 4 times live now and cover about 20-25 of his tunes. Always a popular with the audience.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:37 AM

To sing harmony to chitz and bil above,
it was a brother-in-law who introduced John Prines first album to me in about 1975.
But then, it was another brother-in-law who taught me how to fingerpick "Hello in There" about 5 yrs later.
Both were Viet Nam Veterans.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Yes, the first album was brilliant. Have you ever heard the story of how Steve Goodman was responsible for JP being discovered by Kris Kristofferson?

sm
That's such a great story. He told it well on Marc Maron's WTF podcast a few months ago. That interview is well worth a listen.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:02 AM

I'd never even heard of him until I started going to the jam session here a few years ago, and I kept hearing his name pop up. Great stuff.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbox View Post
To sing harmony to chitz and bil above,
it was a brother-in-law who introduced John Prines first album to me in about 1975.
But then, it was another brother-in-law who taught me how to fingerpick "Hello in There" about 5 yrs later.
Both were Viet Nam Veterans.
Well, here's something I never thought I'd say - thank goodness for brothers in law!
Old 04-18-2017, 09:50 AM

Even in a song that is wry or humorous, John Prine can throw in a line or two that is just resonates. My favorite example of this would be a couple from The Late John Garfield Blues;

Old man sleeps with his conscience at night,
While a young boy sleeps with his dreams.

I mean really, can you say more with fewer words?
Old 04-18-2017, 10:06 AM

Just saw him a couple of weeks ago, great as ever. I probably play 15 of his songs and he's influenced my own writing as well.

Martin 000-18GE, Rainsong CH-OM, Rainsong Vintage OM
Kopp NL, Kinscherff Concert,
Journey OF660
Old 04-18-2017, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

JP played in the gym back in my college days in SUNY New Paltz around 1972. The live version of "Dear Abby" on one of his albums was recorded during that show. The other performers were Randy Newman and the angelic Sandy Denny. Time flies.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN