The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 01-11-2016, 02:59 PM

Default Calibrating a tone arm on a turntable

Please, please, please don't make me go back and join audiophile message boards!

Ok, so I got my stereo set up and running last week.

Here are pictures of the same make/model of turntable and stylus:

So, I adjusted everything as to how I was told to by the guy at the vintage electronics place. Basically, he said install the the cartridge on the headshell, balance the tonearm where it's parallel with platter, then add just enough weight to where the needle touches the record, and that should do it.

But when I got it hooked up, it totally sounded like cr@p. Everything was sort of distorted and just sounded bad. I tried multiple records, and everything sounded pretty terrible. My CDs sound great, so I knew it had something to do with my record player, and not the actual sound system. So, I have this brand new Nora Jones record that sounded the worst, so I decided to experiment with some calibrations just using my ears. I read online that distortion may mean that there's not enough pressure on the needle, so I'd play the Jones record, and I'd add just a little bit of weight adjustment from the back of the tone arm. Sure enough, some of the distortion went away. I did it again, and yup, better results. I kept doing it until the distortion totally went away. I just kept adding it very, very slow increments. Not only does the Nora Jones record sound amazing, so does everything else!

So I did some reading this afternoon, and sure enough, I have the spring-loaded stabilizer engaged on the cartridge. From what I've read, the stabilizer actually takes away 0.5 grams of weight, so that's why the needle felt too "light" on the record and made them distort.

In essence, I have no idea how much weight I have on it. In addition, this record player is from 1987, and who knows if the numbers on the tone arm are even that accurate anymore. I adjusted by sound as opposed to numbers, and I adjusted until it sounded good.

For those of you that listen to records, did you ever have to make adjustments to make things work the way that they are supposed to, even if it's outside of the weight recommendations?

Here's the stabilizer in place (not my picture):

Old 01-11-2016, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

It's been a long while since I used mine, but just the other day I got it back out of the shed to sort out again. What I remember is that If you look up the cartridge spec there will be a tracking weight (like 0.75 to 1.5 grams). Balance the arm as advised then add the amount of tracking weight, which should be in this range and will depend on how the arm responds, given it's support and mass. Lightest gives least wear of record, but requires good tracking, the deck manufacturer might state minimum tracking weight if you have this info. With the brush in place you should add 0.5 gram to this. Hopefully also within this range..

Hope this helps...

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube

Last edited by RodB; 01-11-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:56 PM

It's been a long time since I'm had to balance a tone arm, but I remember things the way Rod stated. You balance the tone arm until it's parallel to the record. That establishes were zero is. Then dial in whatever weight your cartridge is supposed to track at.
Yamaha FG730S
1950 Epiphone Triumph
Old 01-11-2016, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

All arms are different. I had a Pioneer that tracked with rails and went straight across the back at a 90 degree angle so there was zero friction on the album and from my recollection you balanced it at 2.5 grams, which I thought was a lot back then compared to other turntables. Like a moron I gave it away along with my collection of over 300 albums when I decided to grab onto the new.

However 1.5 should get you close. I would do as much research on it as possible though because like I said, most turntables are different. However 1.5 should get you headed in the right direction.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Please, please, please don't make me go back and join audiophile message boards!
The audiophile in me said "why isn't he using a digital source?" when I read the thread title. Then I saw the first sentence of your post and had to laugh at myself.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:32 PM

To achieve maximum performance from any given cartridge/tone arm system, don't forget to make sure to use an alignment protractor to properly locate the
cartridge in the head shell, relative to the record playing surface.
You can download a free protractor from the vinylengine.com
After this easy operation is completed, you can then go ahead and set the arm height, followed by the tracking force as per the manufacturers spec's.
(- if your arm is height adjustable)
Otherwise, it's gonna sound like a cactus needle dragged over a rusty pie plate !
Old 01-11-2016, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

This might be a dumb question, but is there a fine-tune speed adjustment on that model? I remember the ones I used to have had like a series of lights around the perimeter of the table and you adjusted the speed until they were stable.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
This might be a dumb question, but is there a fine-tune speed adjustment on that model? I remember the ones I used to have had like a series of lights around the perimeter of the table and you adjusted the speed until they were stable.
There is, but I have it sort of tucked away on a shelf. I can't see what it's set on without pulling it out, but I'll probably check out where it's actually set this week sometime.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdon View Post
To achieve maximum performance from any given cartridge/tone arm system, don't forget to make sure to use an alignment protractor to properly locate the
cartridge in the head shell, relative to the record playing surface.
You can download a free protractor from the vinylengine.com
After this easy operation is completed, you can then go ahead and set the arm height, followed by the tracking force as per the manufacturers spec's.
(- if your arm is height adjustable)
Otherwise, it's gonna sound like a cactus needle dragged over a rusty pie plate !
This.

You really should go to Vinyl Engine and join. Ask the same questions there. There are no doubt people familiar with that exact turntable, who can give you great advice. I'm not at all familiar with Yamaha turntables, so that's the best advice I have.

http://www.vinylengine.com/

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 01-11-2016, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Default Calibrating a tone arm on a turntable

My old AR 15 turntable came with a little plastic scale. It was easy to adjust the weight of the stylus on the record. Have you tried to locate instructions for your turntable model?
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 01-11-2016, 10:06 PM

Sorry PPG. I couldn't tell you the exact weight, as American coins are different from ours, but it's approximately a penny in our old money IIRC !

So maybe try a nickel (?) first and move up from there in careful increments ....

Last edited by Long Jon; 01-11-2016 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:42 PM

I reread the OP and have a little more time now.

You're correct in assuming the weight markings could be incorrect. A lot of them were way off when new. The Shure Stylus Force gauge has been around for decades. It's a simple, reasonably accurate tool that should suit your needs.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006I5SD/...l_3va2m4fuxd_e

A turntable needs to be "set up" for optimal results, much like a guitar. Some tables have many things that can be checked and adjusted, others do not. Some tables without adjustments can be tweaked in other ways.

Not all cartridges perform their best on all tonearms. The weight or mass of the arm dictates which cartridges would be the best choice. The "wrong" cartridge will still produce sound, but it may produce poor sound, excessive record wear or premature wear on the cartridge or stylus.

Most older consumer level tables were designed to be plug and play. Some were better than others in that regard. Luck was a big factor, which is why CD killed vinyl.

The Shure cartridge you have should work, it's designed to compensate for mismatched cartridge/tonearm combinations. You should be able to get sound that is acceptable to very good from it.

The folks at Vinyl Engine are really helpful at diagnosing these things. I don't want to scare you off with a bunch of technical stuff, but you're going to have to deal with it. Best of luck.

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 01-12-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Spivey View Post

The Shure cartridge you have should work, it's designed to compensate for mismatched cartridge/tonearm combinations. You should be able to get sound that is acceptable to very good from it.

The folks at Vinyl Engine are really helpful at diagnosing these things. I don't want to scare you off with a bunch of technical stuff, but you're going to have to deal with it. Best of luck.
Thanks Doc. I will have to say that I have one record that certainly has peaks and valleys in it while it's spinning, and I swear that stabilizer is the only reason why it plays. If I have other pressing questions, I'll definitely look at Vinyl Engine.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 01-12-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
I couldn't tell you the exact weight, as American coins are different from ours, but it's approximately a penny in our old money IIRC !

So maybe try a nickel (?) first and move up from there in careful increments ....
OMG...Do NOT do this...unless you're playing an album you borrowed from your buddy.
Yamaha FG730S
1950 Epiphone Triumph
Old 01-12-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoMaas View Post
OMG...Do NOT do this...unless you're playing an album you borrowed from your buddy.
Agreed. Adding weight to a headshell so the stylus can stay in the groove is not a solution the designer anticipated.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN