The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-25-2020, 07:46 AM

After owning mine for a few months and playing it every single day...I'm a believer, big time!!

Looks like a vintage guitar and, even better, sounds like one.
Mine is a 1.75 distress level.

scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0838_edited.jpg (59.4 KB, 184 views)
Old 09-25-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
After owning mine for a few months and playing it every single day...I'm a believer, big time!!

Looks like a vintage guitar and, even better, sounds like one.
Mine is a 1.75 distress level.

scott
Yep! Owned mine for about 2 years now - my other guitars sit in the cases
Old 09-25-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmag View Post
Yep! Owned mine for about 2 years now - my other guitars sit in the cases
Wes and Ben really know what they're doin'!
Old 09-25-2020, 09:29 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
Wes and Ben really know what they're doin'!
When I first heard of this company and saw the photos, I thought, "Wow, what a cool idea." Now I think it even more.

More power to them. We do indeed live in the best time ever to be an acoustic player.

sm
Old 09-25-2020, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

I wish I could find a Rosewood Pre*War to play. I think I would love it. I had a Mahogany D for a quick minute but it wasn't for me sound-wise. It was much too dry sounding for my preference. I realize that is what they're going for in a vintage sound but I would think a rosewood would be more lush and I'm close to just putting down a downpayment for an IHD anyway.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I wish I could find a Rosewood Pre*War to play. I think I would love it. I had a Mahogany D for a quick minute but it wasn't for me sound-wise. It was much too dry sounding for my preference. I realize that is what they're going for in a vintage sound but I would think a rosewood would be more lush and I'm close to just putting down a downpayment for an IHD anyway.
Yes, the Braz one I played was more lush than my D, but still had a bit of that characteristic "vintage" dryness to the tone.
I think that's the tone they are going for.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, the Braz one I played was more lush than my D, but still had a bit of that characteristic "vintage" dryness to the tone.
I think that's the tone they are going for.
Thanks, as much as I love them visually maybe the tone just isn't for me. I'm finding my way towards a great bluegrass rosewood dreadnought since I have my lifetime mahogany D with the Outlaw 17. Honestly the Outlaw has spoiled my standard Series HD28 for me. It just doesn't have enough power now that I've had a taste of what's out there. If I had a chance at a PWIHD, I would know in a matter of minutes of play but unfortunately any opportunity to play one before buying is pretty much slim to none. Unless I can find an AGF'er who would let me come over...
Old 09-25-2020, 09:05 PM

I was interested until I found out their string spacing is 2 5/16. I wonder why they chose such wide string spacing?
Old 09-25-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I was interested until I found out their string spacing is 2 5/16. I wonder why they chose such wide string spacing?
That's the string spacing on the original prewar Martin Ds with 1 3/4" nuts.
They went narrower (I think 2 1/8") when they changed to a 1 11/16" nut.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:51 AM

Quote:
That's the string spacing on the original prewar Martin Ds with 1 3/4" nuts.
They went narrower (I think 2 1/8") when they changed to a 1 11/16" nut.
It's 2 3/16 for the narrower 'modern' profile (replicates wartime era Martin but with a bit more spacing - yes real wartimes had 2 1/8").

That said, they're a custom shop. They'll do any nut width/spacing and neck profile you specify. They'll even try to match the profile of a neck you send in.

The secondary market is pretty hot on the default vintage profile... anything outside of it tends to take more time to move.

Last edited by brandall10; 09-26-2020 at 06:01 AM.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:31 AM

I get to play an early '38 D-28 a fair bit - the neck on my D is remarkably close to that old bone...
Old 09-26-2020, 08:19 AM

When I was fortunate to play a '46 000-28 I was pretty mesmerized with the tone (and not so much with the $24,000 price tag.), and yes, you could describe it as very dry. Well, my 000-18 gets pretty close to that, so I guess that's what appeals to me and my ears.

scott
Old 09-26-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I get to play an early '38 D-28 a fair bit - the neck on my D is remarkably close to that old bone...
I recently played a '36 D-18 and '34 0-17. The neck on my Pre*War 000-28 is definitely in that ballpark... the 0-17 felt very similar but a bit thicker, and the D-18 with a bit slimmer/more rounded - my Pre*War was almost like in the middle. Both had almost no finish on the neck so somewhat changed from playwear.

The one thing to note about Pre*War is there is no aging done to the neck itself, aside to headstock/tuners... but the back of the neck/fretboard, the playable area, has no aging done.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:53 AM

Yes, you're right - the back of neck/fretboard on my D shows little relicing.
A bit around the heel/heel cap area...
Old 09-26-2020, 09:00 AM

Yeah, that is a bit funny how you see the heel scuffed up but then move up a bit from there and it's super smooth.

Quite frankly, I'm a bit surprised they don't. One of the biggest things about the Fender relics is the work done to necks... I've seen countless folks over the years talk about how the hate the idea of a relic but bought one anyway because the neck is so nice. They typically wear the finish off in the prime playing areas, divots in the fretboard, etc (frets of course pristine).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion