The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-23-2020, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaan View Post
I love that fingerboard!
Yes, the wackiest piece of rosewood I’ve ever seen. Incredibly unique, I feel.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I agree with the thread, nice looking guitar.

My Les Paul is one of one of those low-cost rat-rod semi-gloss black models, but it has one of Gibson's asymmetrical neck carves. These things are matter of taste, but I like the feel of it.
Let’s hope I agree Frank!
Old 09-23-2020, 01:36 PM

I love it! Wow, what an amazing Les Paul.

Interesting comment on the single piece back. Don't recall seeing that before on a Studio, or even a Standard. They're out there though and you have one. I can even see Jupiter's Storm just off center .
Old 09-23-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
That’s exactly my thoughts Max. I’ve blown it up to a 24” screen and can’t find a joint or seam! I’ll report back when I see the actual guitar. Do you think they would waste all that time and energy slapping a slab slice veneer to cover multiple pieces? I would hope not.
Congratulations, what a beautiful Lester! The Studios sure have come a long ways.

Im betting it’s one piece slab of mahogany. It happens quite often. I have a $1099 Tribute that came with a solid piece of Mahogany.

If in doubt, just look at the bottom side and see if there is a seem, for both body pieces and/or a layer of veneer. Also, you should be able to follow the grain from the back to the sides. ...If you really want to be sure just pull a pup out and look.

2018 LP Tribute:

Old 09-23-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchtop View Post
Congratulations, what a beautiful Lester! The Studios sure have come a long ways.

2018 LP Tribute:

Another beautiful solid slab your tribute model is Birchtop. I’m shocked and thrilled that Gibson has the resources to use full sized cuts of timber on their lower tier Les Paul models. The top line Epiphone Les Paul Modern series I was considering was a very apparent three piece mahogany back. And it wasn’t cheap.
I’m a big fan of the LesPaul Studio series of guitars. It gave working stiffs like me a chance to own an honest to goodness real Les Paul and still put food on the table to feed the kids. It’s everything a loaded LP is without the bling.
Pass the meat and potatoes please...
Old 09-23-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I love it! Wow, what an amazing Les Paul.

Interesting comment on the single piece back. Don't recall seeing that before on a Studio, or even a Standard. They're out there though and you have one. I can even see Jupiter's Storm just off center .
Thanks for the nod, Dru. It was calling my name and I couldn’t resist.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:37 PM

So my guitar was delivered directly to Raritan Bay Guitar in Freehold for a good once over direct from Sweetwater’s distribution center.

Not really much to report I’m happy to say. The nut came in quite high, and according to Kyle the owner, this is opposite of the norm they see on Gibson products. He says that they most times have to build the nut up from the factory to make the guitars playable. In this case they will slot the nut to optimum playing level.

The fret ends are all smoothed with no sharp edges to speak of and the frets were leveled nicely from the factory. Unbeknownst to me, this Studio comes with a plek’d neck from Gibson. Kyle said the frets and edges showed care was taken considering there is no binding on Studio necks. OK, good for me.

Much to my surprise, the back slab of mahogany is in fact one piece of wood. That makes me feel a more sharpened sense of pride of ownership. Odd? Maybe.

Kyle say the finish is beautiful and the vertical grain on the maple cap is polarizing. Flamed maple guys don’t like it he said because it looks to much like an acoustic guitar top. Me, that was the draw. So incredibly unique I thought.

So, as backed up as they are at the shop I am hoping for a call tomorrow to bring this baby home. Have a good weekend all.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:44 PM

Sounding good on your way to the guitar sounding good!

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-27-2020, 07:56 AM

I believe all Gibson electrics are plek'd. As far as the top goes, I have flamed maple Gibsons and I'd take yours anytime. It's a beautiful guitar.

Looking forward to your review.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I believe all Gibson electrics are plek'd. As far as the top goes, I have flamed maple Gibsons and I'd take yours anytime. It's a beautiful guitar.

Looking forward to your review.
Thank you Dru for complementing that unique maple top. Very nice of you. Haven’t got it home yet though, and the shop is closed on Mondays so they won’t be calling today😢
Old 09-28-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
So my guitar was delivered directly to Raritan Bay Guitar in Freehold for a good once over direct from Sweetwater’s distribution center.

Not really much to report I’m happy to say. The nut came in quite high, and according to Kyle the owner, this is opposite of the norm they see on Gibson products. He says that they most times have to build the nut up from the factory to make the guitars playable. In this case they will slot the nut to optimum playing level.

The fret ends are all smoothed with no sharp edges to speak of and the frets were leveled nicely from the factory. Unbeknownst to me, this Studio comes with a plek’d neck from Gibson. Kyle said the frets and edges showed care was taken considering there is no binding on Studio necks. OK, good for me.

Much to my surprise, the back slab of mahogany is in fact one piece of wood. That makes me feel a more sharpened sense of pride of ownership. Odd? Maybe.

Kyle say the finish is beautiful and the vertical grain on the maple cap is polarizing. Flamed maple guys don’t like it he said because it looks to much like an acoustic guitar top. Me, that was the draw. So incredibly unique I thought.

So, as backed up as they are at the shop I am hoping for a call tomorrow to bring this baby home. Have a good weekend all.
First off, that is a really nice looking Studio you scored. I love the straight grained top! But funny, my experience with many Gibson guitars and Martin is they are shipped with sightly HIGHER nuts that need to be taken down a bit. And building up a nut is not optimum. There's two ways to do that, shim or fill the slots with super glue and some baking soda, bone dust, or whatever your nut is made of. And in my experience that is a temporary fix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALbzS42DCbI
Old 09-28-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
First off, that is a really nice looking Studio you scored. I love the straight grained top! But funny, my experience with many Gibson guitars and Martin is they are shipped with sightly HIGHER nuts that need to be taken down a bit. And building up a nut is not optimum. There's two ways to do that, shim or fill the slots with super glue and some baking soda, bone dust, or whatever your nut is made of. And in my experience that is a temporary fix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALbzS42DCbI
Hey Rocky, yes I agree. That’s why I was happy mine came in HIGH and needed to be cut down. Thanks for the compliment on that crazy maple top!
Old 10-01-2020, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Wow!

Lovely guitar!

- Glenn
Old 10-01-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Wow!

Lovely guitar!

- Glenn
Thanks Willow for stopping in. Just got it home today and it’s light and very much alive with resonance. I think this will be a very easy guitar to play a long set on. Slim neck and really smooth frets. I’m happy. Great deep finish. I have no nits to pick right now. Gibson did a good job with this one.

Oh, BTW-in the pocket of the very, very luxurious gig bag is an actual photograph of this guitar on the finishing bench at the Gibson factory. Too cool. Also a build card with serial number, model, color, date of build and the name of the finishing tech who completed the guitar and inspected it for sale. The new Mgt team at Gibson is definitely moving in the right direction when building brand loyalty and pride of ownership in my opinion.
frankie d.
Old 10-02-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks Willow for stopping in. Just got it home today and it’s light and very much alive with resonance. I think this will be a very easy guitar to play a long set on. Slim neck and really smooth frets. I’m happy. Great deep finish. I have no nits to pick right now. Gibson did a good job with this one.

Oh, BTW-in the pocket of the very, very luxurious gig bag is an actual photograph of this guitar on the finishing bench at the Gibson factory. Too cool. Also a build card with serial number, model, color, date of build and the name of the finishing tech who completed the guitar and inspected it for sale. The new Mgt team at Gibson is definitely moving in the right direction when building brand loyalty and pride of ownership in my opinion.
frankie d.
Yes, the last few Gibson electrics I bought have the 'birthday' picture included as well as the card, strap, and the multi-tool. I think Gibson started including the picture about ~5 years ago. The picture is a nice touch.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars