The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-05-2020, 11:27 PM

Default Any Tips Changing Electric Bass Strings?

I bought a great new Rickenbacker 4003 back in 2018 - noticed today that the original strings are beginning to look a little nasty - I've never done a string change on an electric bass guitar - the Rick owners manual with the guitar recommends changing strings one at a time - I've ordered a set of bass string cutters and a new set of DR HiBeams 45-100.

Any tips ?

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 09-05-2020 at 11:45 PM. Reason: added pictures
Old 09-06-2020, 03:26 AM

If I remember correctly the fingerboard of a Rick is lacquered, is that right? If so there isn’t really much need to take all the strings off in order to clean and oil it before putting new strings on. That said, you might want to clean off the gunk that accumulates by the frets from playing but on a varnished neck you don’t want to be doing that with OOOO-grade steel wool!

Otherwise just do one at a time if you feel comfortable with it. In my experience there is no real issue with taking off all the strings but you may just need to let it settle in again with the new strings before checking action and neck relief.

Nice looking bass!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 09-06-2020, 11:51 AM

Joe Osborne, one of the Wrecking Crew bassists, never changed strings on his Fender bass. He played a lot of Beach Boys hits with that bass
Old 09-06-2020, 12:06 PM

Not all that different than changing them on a guitar, except there are fewer of them.

Yours are round core, so don't cut before you do the right-angle bend and have them up to tension.

You do have to adjust to the thicker strings filling up the string post faster if you have too much slack left in the playing length as you tighten up the strings. This is my biggest issue.

As to how long bass strings last for some players? I have a bass that had it's TI strings changed in the 1980s. You have a Rick, you've chosen round wound stainless steel, so you may want (and will get) a brighter sound, which is cool. For those who aim for the more mellow thud and flat-wounds, string age is almost a non-issue, as long as the string isn't damaged.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-06-2020, 03:25 PM

Thanks for these replies - I guess I'm a little anxious about this one - bass strings aren't exactly cheap too!

The original factory strings still sound fine so I might just leave them another year or two going by your replies, thanks again.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
Old 09-06-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Thanks for these replies - I guess I'm a little anxious about this one - bass strings aren't exactly cheap too!

The original factory strings still sound fine so I might just leave them another year or two going by your replies, thanks again.
See this:
https://www.drstrings.com/proper-string-installation
Also, for bass strings, I cut them about 2 peg heads past the post for the tuners with the hole in the middle, like yours. So put the bridge end in, straighten it out over the bridge and to the desired tuning peg, go past that by a distance of two tuning pegs farther, and make a right angle kink in the string there. Then cut about 1/4 - 3/8" after the right angle. Drop that part down in the hole, the rest of the string should go through the slot, (pull the string tight from out of the slot and around the tuning peg), and wind tight. Don't forget to stretch them.

And by the way, nice bass.
Old 09-06-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
See this:
https://www.drstrings.com/proper-string-installation
Also, for bass strings, I cut them about 2 peg heads past the post for the tuners with the hole in the middle, like yours. So put the bridge end in, straighten it out over the bridge and to the desired tuning peg, go past that by a distance of two tuning pegs farther, and make a right angle kink in the string there. Then cut about 1/4 - 3/8" after the right angle. Drop that part down in the hole, the rest of the string should go through the slot, (pull the string tight from out of the slot and around the tuning peg), and wind tight. Don't forget to stretch them.

And by the way, nice bass.
Thanks and that was a great clip too ... the very end section where he puts the clipped and bent string in the hole in the tuner post was the bit I was unsure of.

He was also pretty strongly against stretching them.

p.s. I'm a fan of round-core DR Sunbeams too.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
Old 09-07-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post

If they sound fine, that's something to consider standing pat with. I have several basses, so the playing time gets split between them, but the main reason I change bass strings is to get a different timbre or feel. So typically after I buy a bass (new or used) I'll change out the strings to something that I think will bring out a sound and feel I'm looking for. Back in my youthful and poorer days, I'd sometimes swap strings off and on my bass then to go for round-wound to flat-wound.

The costs are tolerable given the life of the strings for someone like me who doesn't usually look for the brightest sounds on bass--but yes something like my favorite TI bass string set can cause sticker shock for guitarists.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-09-2020, 12:22 PM

Make sure you have enough string wraps on the tuner posts so that you get a good break angle at the nut.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:03 PM

I have only changed strings on any of my basses when I was looking for a change in feel or sound. That being said I don't think ive changed a string set on any bass in 10 years. I have an 82 jazz bass with original flat wounds that sounds great ..gets that Jamerson ,Mowtown mwah..also I use flat wound exclusively because I like the warmth. I have an upright that has strings that are about 8 yrs old. It doesn't get used as much as it once did but its still sounding great.To get that funky sound those strings gotta get funky. I read Jamerson never changed his strings...might be an urban legend but ive always believed it.
Epiphone Les Paul
National M1 WoodBody Tricone
National Estralita Bass
Many Fender Jazz and P basses
Old 09-11-2020, 11:35 PM

I use Ernie Ball strings decent quality and $20... bass is no different than guitar just make sure to put a sharp bend in the strings and cut them right after the bend so the core doesn’t slip... there is no need to change them one at a time... it won’t hurt anything to have no strings on it... don’t be afraid you aren’t going to hurt it... if you know how to tune it then you’ll have no problem changing strings... I lay my strings over the tuner and pull it back a fret and a half, bend it to 90 degrees where I’m going to cut and cut so the bend it still on the string then start wrapping them... good idea to hit the fret board with a little 0000 steel wool and some lemon oil while the strings are off... just be careful not to get the dust near the pickups... good luck and have fun...
Old 09-12-2020, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob7980 View Post
I use Ernie Ball strings decent quality and $20... bass is no different than guitar just make sure to put a sharp bend in the strings and cut them right after the bend so the core doesn’t slip... there is no need to change them one at a time... it won’t hurt anything to have no strings on it... don’t be afraid you aren’t going to hurt it... if you know how to tune it then you’ll have no problem changing strings... I lay my strings over the tuner and pull it back a fret and a half, bend it to 90 degrees where I’m going to cut and cut so the bend it still on the string then start wrapping them... good idea to hit the fret board with a little 0000 steel wool and some lemon oil while the strings are off... just be careful not to get the dust near the pickups... good luck and have fun...

Do NOT use steel wool or lemon oil on your bass! Ricks have laquer on the fingerboard even though it is rosewood!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 09-20-2020, 01:10 AM

I usually leave roundwound strings on for 4-5 years as long as they sound ok and stay in tune.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars