The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-09-2020, 05:04 PM

I think I'm going to finally get this fixed... it's really bad... I'm from Long Island, NY. Does anyone know of any good techs on Long Island? I've been told to stay away from big box places like Guitar Center... Thanks!
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 09-09-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeisen93 View Post
I think I'm going to finally get this fixed... it's really bad... I'm from Long Island, NY. Does anyone know of any good techs on Long Island? I've been told to stay away from big box places like Guitar Center... Thanks!
Filing the nut slot is so simple there is no reason to avoid GC or similar stores.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:08 AM

Quote:
I would not use Guitar Center.

Regulating a nut requires some know how, and more so, the right files. It's easy to to if you take some time and learn the process but it's also easy to mess it up. The right files are expensive, and would not be worth the investment to only do one guitar.
Most of the GCs where I've been don't have any one that I would ever trust a setup to.

If you have a local store (mom and pop kind of place) ask them if they have anyone that they can refer. Ask some players in your area, or friends who they go to.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Another possibility is you have the pickups too close to the strings. If you've adjusted the pickup height or switched to lighter gauge strings before the problem started, that could be hint.
Interesting. I don't think I've ever heard this. How could the height of the pickup cause 2 of the 4 strings to not stay in tune?
Old 09-10-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
Interesting. I don't think I've ever heard this. How could the height of the pickup cause 2 of the 4 strings to not stay in tune?
The PUP magnetic pull to the strings with the largest gauge core wire and lowest tension can make the string vibrate incorrectly if it is too close to the string. It can be a function of how hard you hit the string and how long you let it ring. It can seem like a tuning problem.

If you install PUPs with stronger ceramic magnets and keep the final pickup height the same to the originals, you can run into this problem as I did once (replacing Lace Sensors with Fender Texas Specials). It was easily resolved once I realized what was going on.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-10-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Did you check the intonation? If it's out of whack it might make it seem like it's always out of tune depending on where you're playing.

Just play the 12th fret harmonic and then the 12th fret. Do they sound the same? They should.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Did you check the intonation? If it's out of whack it might make it seem like it's always out of tune depending on where you're playing.

Just play the 12th fret harmonic and then the 12th fret. Do they sound the same? They should.
I don't think it has to do with that, because I'll be playing and then all of a sudden the high E string will go really really sharp, or all of a sudden the G string will go really flat. It's not just slightly out of tune... It goes really out of tune.
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 09-10-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I don't think it has to do with that, because I'll be playing and then all of a sudden the high E string will go really really sharp, or all of a sudden the G string will go really flat. It's not just slightly out of tune... It goes really out of tune.
I think this has been discussed,, sounds like your problem is your nut slots.. Those strings are binding in them, as you play, bend notes, the strings are not moving freely in the nut slots.

Just make sure who ever you take it to, has 1: The right files and 2: knows what they are doing.

To mediate until you can get a setup, try dabbing some Vaseline in those slots, (or even by something like Big Bends Nut sauce or Nomads Guitar Lube.) It should settle things down, but once that stuff wears off, you'll need to re-lube

Really this is not a big deal.. just get your nut looked at and you will see a huge improvement.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Im going with the nut crowd here. I would add that a properly cut nut not only has the string grooves at the correct width, depth, and shape, but is properly angled AND rounded towards the tuning pegs. It should roll away from the underside of the string, rather than hug it all along the contact area. Less friction surface. Its a very subtle difference, but thats the difference to a really good set up. Grease or pencil lead is a good option if you cant get a new nut for a while.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars