The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-11-2020, 05:02 PM

Default McPherson Touring scale length

Hello all! I appreciate reading your posts over the past year or so, and all of the ideas and opinions.

It seems that quite a few of you have either owned or played a McPherson Touring. I have never even seen one (live), but I am more and more eager to purchase one as time goes by.

At this time, the nearest retailer is in LaCrosse, WI and the showroom is closed for Covid safety. Bummer!

I seek opinions on scale length. One of my guitars is a 3/4 size Takamine, with a scale at 24.75". I love playing it, and I'm also happy with its easy to tote size.

The Touring is 22.75". I don't recall playing something that short with 14 frets to the body. Even a Martin Backpacker has a scale at 24", which doesn't feel too small to me, but there's even another inch lost from that.

If it didn't work for me, I suppose I could sell it without too much of a hit.

Does anyone have words of wisdom or insights from experience? Thank you - Steve

Are there opinions out there on the scale size of the Touring? I am considering buying one without trying it first. It would also be my first CF.
Old 09-11-2020, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Put a capo on the second fret of your Tak - that might get you close to the scale. I find the Touring is just a bit snug for my hands. Another option in a smaller size would be an Emerald X7, with a 24" scale (also a 1 3/4" nut width); I find that scale length very comfortable, especially compared to 22.75".

The RainSong Parlor has a 24.875 scale length and a 1 3/4" nut width; another nice smaller CF offering.

Probably the best option if you decide to go with the Touring is to buy from a dealer who offers a return within a reasonable time. McPherson makes nice guitars, but that is a considerable drop in scale from what you are used to.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:11 PM

Thank you Caption Jim. That's excellent advise with the capo, and a bit embarrassing that it didn't previously cross my mind! Thank you for the thoughts on the other brands also. I appreciate it.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:54 PM

Love my touring. I find switching to my Taylor 841ce very effortless. I’m not blessed with skinny finger tips but have “fat” tips, still no problems with scale length. Curious, are you sure on that scale length? Seems shorter than I remember, not home at moment to verify. Good luck on search!
Old 09-11-2020, 07:16 PM

I appreciate knowing of your experience, Dickey. I just double checked on the McPherson website, and it does state 22 3/4" for the Touring. If you think it seems longer than that, that's a favorable response too.
Old 09-12-2020, 09:27 AM

A scale of 22.75” is pretty short, the equivalent of a capo at the second fret as Captain Jim pointed out. That is a great way to test the concept. We own a CA Cargo that has this scale length. That little guitar sounds way better than it should, but I find it a bit cramped to play. I can play it but some adaptation time is needed. The Emerald X7 we have at 24” scale gets a LOT more play time. Are you really looking for a small travel sized guitar? Will your local dealer offer a trial period with return privileges?

My only experience with the Touring was a brief five minute play at Kramster’s house in Phoenix 2-1/2 years ago. It was fine, but did not leave a strong impression on me. My target was not small guitars. My wife already had her Cargo, but after trying an X7 there, she soon ordered one for herself and loves it. The Cargo has been a closet queen ever since the X7 arrived. Hers is the smaller Version 2 with forward-facing sound hole. Current production X7-V3 (since mid-2018) is a slightly bigger body, same as the X10. It is roughly an inch wider and a half inch deeper, IIRC
Old 09-12-2020, 09:58 AM

I have a touring , and a x-7 and a Rainsong Parlor. I also have full scale guitars. I do not find the touring to be an issue at all. The neck is very comfortable - much more so than any of my Emeralds. I have had a little Martin - but I did fell cramped on that guitar. I think the experience is more than only scale length. The McPherson guitars appear to be built with precision. I will probably spring for a sable in the near future. But if i you are hesitant. I would try to see if you can play one first. Really does depend on your playing style. Good luck
Old 09-12-2020, 02:37 PM

Thank you for your thoughts, Earl49. I have frequently been intrigued with the X7, although I have not seen, heard or played an Emerald before, either. I was planning to be in Ireland this past April, but travel plans changed this year for some reason... ugh. I had hoped to make Emerald one of my stops. Size is definitely a consideration, with the goal of being small but still feeling right and sounding right. I don't want it to feel like a sacrifice. I have a plan (and my wife is starting to land in-step with me) to get a small & loaded campervan and take a few months going through the Pacific NW, Canadian Rockies and Alaska. Space will be a premium, but I'll have to have a guitar along. The perfect scenario is I like it enough that it is a go-to even with other guitars nearby. I love the thought of less frequent tunings and less concerns about environment. Steve
Old 09-12-2020, 02:40 PM

Irishrep-Much appreciated. You are correct - It would be really good for me to play one. Maybe the retailer will fully open soon, or McPherson would allow a visit. I'll have to check on those options again.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:31 PM

I played both and thought they were very nice guitars. The most refined tone I’ve heard out of a CF guitar to date, would be hard pressed to tell the difference to an untrained ear in a wood/CF blind test. Having said that I prefer the Sable just because the size was a better fit and it was louder. I already have an OF660 that I love, so my small guitar needs are met.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I played both and thought they were very nice guitars. The most refined tone I’ve heard out of a CF guitar to date, would be hard pressed to tell the difference to an untrained ear in a wood/CF blind test. Having said that I prefer the Sable just because the size was a better fit and it was louder. I already have an OF660 that I love, so my small guitar needs are met.
Thank you steelvibe. I, too have been impressed by the tone through the videos that I've watched. I appreciate the feedback. The Journey you mentioned certainly had gotten some good reviews also.
Old 09-12-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
Thank you steelvibe. I, too have been impressed by the tone through the videos that I've watched. I appreciate the feedback. The Journey you mentioned certainly had gotten some good reviews also.
It really comes down to what you like. The Touring is a better looking guitar IMO, but I prefer the scale of the Journey (24.5), so it is considered full size even though it's a travel guitar. I also love the neck profile....a lot. It is the nicest neck on a carbon fiber I've played for my style and preference. It is also over $1K cheaper- so there is that too.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
.....to get a small & loaded camper van and take a few months going through the Pacific NW, Canadian Rockies and Alaska. Space will be a premium, but I'll have to have a guitar along.....
If your trip has you coming through Boise, we can coordinate and you are welcome to stop by and play anything in my CF collection. You probably will have already made a decision by then, but the offer stands. I used to live in Alaska too, so would have some insight about that trip.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:59 PM

Very kind offer, Earl49. If I don't have one by the time I'm headed west, I've seriously blown my plan! Nonetheless, if I go through Boise you can try whatever I end up with. I read that you are getting a bit of smoke in your valley... I hope it's not too much. You probably have a mask handy. Multi function masking.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:56 PM

It is pretty smoky here, but not inhibiting us very much. I have to mow the lawn this evening and will probably go for a short bike ride if there is anything left in my gas tank. The entire Left Coast seems to be on fire right now, and it is drifting back toward us.

PM just sent re: X7 woody and CA Cargo.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber