The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-22-2021, 07:55 AM

Default Almansa A-400

Is this a decent beginner brand or what? I'm completely inexperienced with classical guitars, yesterday I went to L&M to try one for the hell of it, I first tried a Godin cedar top, rosewood b/s. It was nice, different than what I'm used to, then I tried an Almansa A-400, it was at least 2-300 cheaper than the Godin, price was I think $430 CAD, so probably $300 range in U.S. I was really shocked by this guitar, it sounded more full and pleasing to my ear than the Godin. And it was cheaper, made in Spain I think. Suddenly I've gotten interested in these little nylon stringed counterparts to my beloved steel strings.

I only played folk stuff on it as I don't know classical, but it sounded really cool. Are any of you guys familiar with this brand or model?
Old 09-22-2021, 12:20 PM

Went in to the other L&M today and played another Godin (LA Patrie) with the cedar top and solid rosewood b/s, this one was much more open, a real joy to play. Then I tried another Almansa same as yesterday but this one was gloss, the neck felt so uncomfortable and blocky and it didn't sound as good as I thought thebother one did yesterday, then I played another LA Patrie, cedar top and cherry b/s, it was also such a joy to play and sounded similar to the rosewood one, nice and clear yet warm. It was cheaper than the rosewood and man I kind of want it now!
Old 09-23-2021, 04:15 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Almansa makes a whole range of guitars from beginner to pretty nice studio instruments - I'm not sure if they're in the concert arena. They service an enormous demand for decent instruments in Spain, like a lot of other smallish factory builders. I don't know the A-400 model specifically, that wasn't available (I think) when I was shopping around in Spain a decade or so back, but there were certainly quite a few decent guitars in the student grade - prices are set to meet the demand and also to reflect (I think) mainly the quality of finish and detailing. Higher range instruments get a lot more attention before they escape the factory, lower ones don't need the same attention. I noticed a range of quality in the instruments I played even across the same level, so I think you can definitely find some really good buys in the lower price bracket, but they're less common there than they are the higher up the chain you go.

LaPatrie gets lots of love around here, you probably can't go wrong there especially if you found one you really enjoyed playing. The prices are certainly a big incentive!
Old 12-31-2021, 09:18 AM

Almansa makes great guitars. They are made in the same factory as Alhambra, I think they are the same company.

You'll notice they have a thicker, warmer/dark Spanish sound compared to the Godins/la Patrie and Yamahas, etc.

The 400 is basically the same guitar as the 401, 402, 403, just different levels of finishing and appointments (gloss, tuners, binding, etc). Solid top, laminate mahogany back and sides, rosewood fingerboard. Higher priced models can get Rosewood back and sides, ebony, or all solid wood.

The cutaway/electric versions are "crossover" guitars, with a 50mm nut (instead of the usual 52mm) with low action and extra hard tension strings. I prefer these to some other crossover guitars, which usually have a 48mm radiused neck and more "modern" kind of sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical