The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-23-2021, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Default Breedlove Guitars and the Science of Fishing

My good friend Nick and I do a lot of things together-except music.
Nick is not a musician. He’s a very intelligent man, and a good human being. We play video games together, fish together and discuss a multitude of subjects, always referencing the science available to support our views.

Yesterday I was looking at a Breedlove guitar that had been listed for sale for about five months. As some of you may know, I’m somewhat of a Breedlove aficionado, and was a moderator on the now defunct “Breedlove guitar forum.” I also got pretty familiar with a few of the luthiers and techs at Breedlove, until the ownership started its eminent decline, and Two Old Hippies purchased the company in 2010. I explained to Nick that I no longer had any real interest in their guitars, or that at least I hadn’t thought well enough of the change to try the new company’s offerings.

Our conversation then turned to fishing. Something we are both rather passionate about, including the science of course. In some ways, I am a mentor to Nick. I’m more than twice his age, and I have experience that he does not. So I do my best to share that with him whenever the opportunity presents itself. But make no mistake-he has taught me things as well. I mentioned that there were two books that were must reads for understanding the science of fishing, both long out of print. We managed to find a copy of one, but the other remained elusive.

That book is “Knowing Bass” written by Keith Jones. Keith worked at Berkeley (the tackle company) while he was writing the book, and studying the senses of game fish. It wasn’t exclusively Bass, but the focus was on what game fish react to-sight, color, sound, lateral line etc. In our search for the book, I learned that the president of Berkeley at that time was Tom Bedell. Yes, THAT Tom Bedell. The now owner of Breedlove guitars, Two Old Hippies and of course Bedell guitars. I also learned that His father started the company as Berkeley Fly Company in 1937.

We both had a very enjoyable day, and it is of no small significance the role entropy plays in everyday existence.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 05-23-2021, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele1111 View Post
it is of no small significance the role entropy plays in everyday existence.
It certainly is not. Lovely post, and a beautiful way to end it, too; thanks.
Old 05-23-2021, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Hey Mark, long time no see! Great post....

2004 John Osthoff AS-C
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 05-23-2021, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

I would add, to try one of their newer offerings. Breedlove has taken alot of bashing for their milti-model confusion, deceitful advertising, & ownership fiascos, and rightfully so. But the proof is in the product. I've owned several of their models from the early 90s; masterclass, etc. I now have a 2019 concert that sounds as good if not better than the best of them. I wasn't expecting the tone & bass I'm getting out of this thing! And the bridge truss is a thing of the past! In short, it's a delightful guitar to play, & the biggest bang for the buck I've ever received! And made right here, in Bend Oregon!
Steve
Old 05-23-2021, 05:50 PM

Yes, as an owner of two of the new models with their modern bracing and "sound optimization" voicing, I'd highly recommend trying them. There's a great video series on YouTube from their 2021 virtual NAMM show with a full factory tour of how they're building and voicing guitars now.

Basically they fixed two issues that held them back: they got rid of the bridge truss and they simplified the model lineup to four body shapes and a handful of series.

The "new" body shapes aren't that new: they're all centered around their iconic Concert shape, scaled up and scaled down in size, giving them a cohesive brand identity. I'd say they're really on a roll lately.
Old 05-23-2021, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRL View Post
Yes, as an owner of two of the new models with their modern bracing and "sound optimization" voicing, I'd highly recommend trying them. There's a great video series on YouTube from their 2021 virtual NAMM show with a full factory tour of how they're building and voicing guitars now.
My first quality acoustic was a Breedlove. They can be gorgeous sounding instruments. I've not been keen on many of their design aspects historically but that's just my opinion. I do like the Delta bridge and the "haircut" headstocks. I watched the video- thanks for sharing! Posting hear for everyone to have easy access

Old 05-23-2021, 06:47 PM

I am another owner of a Breedlove.
The guitar is a 2016 Breedlove Journey Concert limited edition, number 33 out of 50, with 400 year old salvaged sitka top and Brazilian rosewood back and sides that was shipped to Spain 50 years ago and stored there.
The CF Martin Authentic and Martin Golden Era guitars are gone but this Breedlove is here to stay a while.
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by singlechange; 05-23-2021 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-23-2021, 07:47 PM

Gorgeous guitar!
Old 05-23-2021, 08:08 PM

Quote:
My good friend Nick and I do a lot of things together.... always referencing the science available to support our views..... it is of no small significance the role entropy plays in everyday existence....
Well, here's a good book that you can find: From Eternity to Here: The Quest for the Ultimate Theory of Time [2010] -- Sean Carroll
"The author poses a simple question which is a topic of physicists and philosophers: what is time. Such a simple question but it reaches into almost every branch of physics. The author does a fine job in building the groundwork including classical physics, quantum mechanics, general relativity and black holes, and thermodynamics including the all important concept of entropy."

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 05-23-2021, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
Well, here's a good book that you can find: From Eternity to Here: The Quest for the Ultimate Theory of Time [2010] -- Sean Carroll
This is obviously getting off topic but if you're interested in the relation between time and entropy, another good book is "The Order of Time", by Carlo Rovelli.
Old 05-24-2021, 01:31 PM

Quote:
We both had a very enjoyable day, and it is of no small significance the role entropy plays in everyday existence.

Mark
I think you meant to say synchronicity. Entropy is when things fall apart, not come together.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 05-24-2021, 02:17 PM

Time and entropy always move in one direction and cannot be reversed. Without time, there would be no entropy.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain View Post
I think you meant to say synchronicity. Entropy is when things fall apart, not come together.
No, I did not. I meant exactly what I said.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion