The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-01-2021, 01:49 PM

Good luck. I've been around the Carribean several times over the past 30+ years but can't outweigh anything that's already been said. I have to plan something similar for the wife's 5-0 though and she wants to go someplace different so I'm taking notes.
Old 10-01-2021, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill1962 View Post
Actually, all of the above. We are fairly active on our vacations.

There has been so much great information and advice from everyone.....thank you !

I think I have narrowed it down to Costa Rica.
Short flights, can go from mountains to beaches in just a couple of hours. Can hike, fish, lounge around, shop etc. Still alot of research to do on the country and where to stay.

Now to watch and see how this new covid world we are living in, and make sure it's safe to travel and stay. Trip wont be till next July. Hopefully things will change for the better by then.

Thanks again
Bill
Bill, I sent you a PM. But I thought I'd share here that travel to CR is quite safe. My wife is an ER nurse, and I went there for five weeks at the height of COVID last Dec/Jan before we could get vaccinated. We've been back twice more (March, July), and returning later this month for three weeks (mix of vacation and remote work). Masks are required in most public places, including stores and restaurants, and there are usually wash stations at the entrance (soap, water, hand sanitizer), but the beaches are not crowded, so you can ditch the mask and enjoy the sun and ocean.

And you're correct that there is so much to do there (or nothing at all). The weather is ideal, and there are so many different microclimates and varying zones (beaches, rain forest, volcanoes, cloud forest, etc.). July is a great time to visit b/c it's "green season" and not crowded. You might get an afternoon/evening rain shower, but it's sunny every morning (at least where we are, LOL), or if you catch their "little summer," you might not get any rain at all.

I hope this is helpful to you (or anyone else considering a trip down to CR).
Good luck and keep us posted.

Pura Vida!
Old 10-03-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill1962 View Post
Howdy Everyone. Okay, time to pick your brains for some advice and wisdom. Our 40th anniversary is next year, my wife has always wanted to take a tropical vacation. So I want to surprise her. Thinking off the top of my head, here are 4 I have been considering. Which one would you choose and why ?
Please feel free to suggest other destinations also.
Hawaii
Turks & Caicos
Tahiti
St Martin. Virgin Island

Would be flying out of Houston Tx.

Looking forward to your replies
Thanks
Bill
Kauai is the least spoiled Hawaiian island and I highly recommend it. It has its own mini “Grand Canyon” and a tropical mountain region. We enjoyed the Zodiac boat trip more than the helicopter tour of the island.

However, if it was me, I’d choose to go to the Galápagos Islands.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic