The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

Default Will tuning everything half a step higher on a 24.75" scale guitar be like a 25.5?

Ive got a gibson and im thinking of buying a martin. i dont know anything about 25.5" scale length. Only that theyre harder to play.

I saw someone say, you can downtune a 25.5" scale guitar by half a step and put a capo on the 1st fret and thats how a 24.75" guitar would feel like.

So is the same in reverse? Do I tune my Gibson up half a step and thats what playing a Martin would feel like?
Old 03-16-2024, 11:24 PM

I think to emulate a long-scale, you'd also have to stretch the neck a bit, much like a capo shortens it. It's not the tension alone that makes long-scale feel different, it's also the very slightly more space between each fret.

I disagree, however, that long-scale guitars are necessarily "harder to play." That depends a lot on what you're playing and how your hands are built.

Last edited by Monty Christo; 03-16-2024 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-16-2024, 11:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Christo View Post
I think to emulate a long-scale, you'd also have to stretch the neck a bit, much like a capo shortens it. It's not the tension alone that makes long-scale feel different, it's also the very slightly more space between each fret.

I disagree, however, that long-scale guitars are necessarily "harder to play." That depends a lot on what you're playing and how your hands are built.
my hands are delicate
Old 03-17-2024, 02:28 AM
Charter Member

Along the lines of what Monte Christo said, the short answer is “no.”

When you tune down a half step and place a capo on the first fret on a standard-scale guitar, the effective scale length is shorter than a short-scale guitar, so the change is a bit exaggerated compared to going from a standard-scale guitar to a short-scale guitar (and closer to, say, a D-Jr.). There’s really no way to go in reverse, since you can’t make the neck longer/frets farther apart, etc.

The easiest way to experience the difference between a short-scale guitar and a standard-scale guitar is to go to a guitar store and play a few. Note that some standard-scale 6-string guitars are typically strung with light-gauge strings (e.g., guitars smaller than a dreadnought), and others are typically strung with medium-gauge strings (e.g., dreadnoughts and larger). In terms of ease of play, assuming the guitars are set up similarly (e.g., action, etc.), you will notice a bigger difference going from a short-scale guitar (especially a Gibson) strung with light-gauge strings to a standard-scale guitar strung with medium-gauge strings.
Old 03-17-2024, 01:11 PM

I agree with the suggestion to go to a guitar store and play a few, but keep in mind that some employees won't be able to tell you the scale length on a particular guitar. Be prepared to google it or measure it yourself (measure from the nut to the 12th fret and double it). You'll need a measuring device longer than 12", by the way.

Also, guitars come in more than two scales lengths. 25" is fairly common, and many smaller guitars have scales less than 24.75" (some Taylor, Martin and Yamaha models have them).

Just playing for my own amazement

Martin 000-15sm
Eastman E10SS
RainSong SMH
Blueridge BR-142
The Loar LH-250
Recording King RPS-9 (for slide)
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin
A Strat and a Tele
Les Paul and Jazzmaster copies
Old 03-17-2024, 01:56 PM

I think you may be overthinking this. There is a difference in tension, but even the fairly banal description “harder to play” might be overstating it. 25.5 is not “hard”, ant it’s the standard for most steel string guitars. Although there is more tension, it’s probably not going to cramp your style. I guess you could go a step lighter on strings to a custom light or light (something I think I notice more than scale length).
If you have a Gibson and are thinking about a Martin, you must know this and have tried other guitars, no?
Larrivee Parlor Koa Special Edition
https://soundclick.com/kiphendryandtheonestarhotel
Old 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM

The. “Harder to play” thing is just nonsense if you are talking strictly about string tension. I can easily make my 25.5” or 24.9” acoustics play “easier” or “harder” than the other just by swapping to different types of strings. The real difference is going to be the feel of the fret spacing near the nut. Just find out which one is most comfortable to play and don’t overthink it.
Old 03-17-2024, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesabgM4 View Post
The. “Harder to play” thing is just nonsense if you are talking strictly about string tension. I can easily make my 25.5” or 24.9” acoustics play “easier” or “harder” than the other just by swapping to different types of strings. The real difference is going to be the feel of the fret spacing near the nut. Just find out which one is most comfortable to play and don’t overthink it.
It isn’t nonsense, but the differences are often overblown. Take two very similar guitars, say, a 000-28 and an OM-28. The only difference between the two (other than x-bracing width, but we’ll ignore that for purposes of this discussion) is scale length, with the 000 short scale (24.9”) and the OM standard scale (25.4”). They both normally come from the factory strung with the same strings—Martin Lifespan 2.0 light-gauge strings. When one plays the two guitars back-to-back—assuming they are tuned to the same pitch (standard, etc.)—the 000 is marginally easier to play. That is, the tension on the strings on the 000 is slightly lower, which makes fretting and bends slightly easier. The frets on the 000 are also very slightly closer to each other which, depending on the size of one’s hands, makes a difference on songs with difficult stretches (e.g., Tommy Emmanuel’s Those Who Wait).

For the record, I have multiple 000s, OMs and dreadnoughts, with the 000s and OMs strung with light-gauge strings (the incoming PWGC 000 will be the exception with mediums) and the dreadnoughts all have medium strings. I don’t have any issues going from one body size to another, but I notice the differences in string tension and fret distances when I do.

Of course, one can adjust strings to get a similar feel in terms of tension, but I don’t think that was what the OP was considering/asking. I wouldn’t want to put lower tension strings on one of my OMs to give it the feel of a 000, as an example. Again, as I said above, the best thing to do is experience it first-hand by playing the guitars. If a picture is worth 1,000 words, playing a guitar is worth 10,000.
Old 03-17-2024, 06:01 PM

Martin makes many short scale guitars - I own one. Try any of the 000s and see what you think.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 03-18-2024, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

Given a guitar has the proper setup. The pressure difference of the strings will be minimal.

You may experience a difference if playing lead an trying to stretch a string a full step.

Maind difference for me (small hands) is stretching my fingers to reach certain chord inversions.
Old 03-18-2024, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
It isn’t nonsense, but the differences are often overblown. Take two very similar guitars, say, a 000-28 and an OM-28. The only difference between the two (other than x-bracing width, but we’ll ignore that for purposes of this discussion) is scale length, with the 000 short scale (24.9”) and the OM standard scale (25.4”). They both normally come from the factory strung with the same strings—Martin Lifespan 2.0 light-gauge strings. When one plays the two guitars back-to-back—assuming they are tuned to the same pitch (standard, etc.)—the 000 is marginally easier to play. That is, the tension on the strings on the 000 is slightly lower, which makes fretting and bends slightly easier. The frets on the 000 are also very slightly closer to each other which, depending on the size of one’s hands, makes a difference on songs with difficult stretches (e.g., Tommy Emmanuel’s Those Who Wait).

For the record, I have multiple 000s, OMs and dreadnoughts, with the 000s and OMs strung with light-gauge strings (the incoming PWGC 000 will be the exception with mediums) and the dreadnoughts all have medium strings. I don’t have any issues going from one body size to another, but I notice the differences in string tension and fret distances when I do.

Of course, one can adjust strings to get a similar feel in terms of tension, but I don’t think that was what the OP was considering/asking. I wouldn’t want to put lower tension strings on one of my OMs to give it the feel of a 000, as an example. Again, as I said above, the best thing to do is experience it first-hand by playing the guitars. If a picture is worth 1,000 words, playing a guitar is worth 10,000.
If AGF had a FAQ, this post would be right at the top. Very clearly explained.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 03-18-2024, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

I would agree with the suggestion of not over-thinking it too much. I play both standard and short scale, and while I can say I feel a difference, I would not ascribe the difference in terms of one being harder to play than the other. They are just slightly different. I can play short scale 000-18 or Gibson J-45 with light strings and jump over to my HD-28 with medium strings without any problems. Yes, there's a different feel, but with enough playing, any slight adjustments you need to make when playing become insignificant. At least that's my experience. As others have also suggested, go play a Martin with a standard 25.4" scale and decide for yourself.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion