The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 11-25-2023, 06:20 AM

Default Sarah Jarosz 2024 Tour.

I love Sarah Jarosz' music and I've been waiting a while for her to come even remotely close to where I live. Well, I just found out that she's on a very extensive tour starting February next year and I got tickets to see her in Toronto in April. She is doing a couple dates in the UK first and then a cross-US zig-zag accompanied by a meagre (and frankly disappointing) one stop in Canada.

Anyway, can't wait to see her in the intimate venue she'll be at, The Horseshoe Tavern (I have never been there but it's a storied old place where many a famous act, including the Rolling Stones in 97, have played). It'll be a great show, no doubt.

Last edited by Daniel Grenier; 11-25-2023 at 06:40 AM.
Old 11-25-2023, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

I'm a fan as well. I love her cover of Dylan's "Ring Them Bells".....she's made it her own!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 11-25-2023, 09:00 AM

I've got my tickets for Valentine's Day! The singles from to-be-released album have so far sounded really great. I love the full-band sound.
Old 11-25-2023, 09:06 AM

She's great. Plays up here at Wintergrass fairly frequently. Had a fun time with her and Darol Anger at an octave mandolin workshop there one year, swapping songs and our instruments.
Old 11-26-2023, 09:30 PM

All set for April 27 in the Detroit area.
I've never seen her live before, but I've been following her ever since she did a cover of a Tom Waits song [C'mon up to the House] that really caught my attention.
Here's a rendition on ACL:
https://youtu.be/jAqQh6B73xk?si=TR7EwrxOejeVMMRK
1977 Alvarez Yairi DY 57 / 2002 Martin DC-1E/ 2010 The Loar LH-700-VS/ 2012 Taylor Mini GS / 2015 Taylor 150e / 2015 Taylor 324ce SEB / 2018 Taylor 214e DLX / 2020 Taylor AD12e / 2021 Gibson J-185ce / 2022 Martin 000-15M
... and some electrics and such.
Old 11-27-2023, 05:38 AM

Thank you so much for the heads up on her concert in Toronto. I will definitely buy tickets, just got to confirm on 2 or 4. I also love her musicianship, singing voice and personality
Old 12-06-2023, 11:29 AM

She's playing the Harvester Performance Center which is just a couple miles from my house on March 9th. I'll have to go check her out. I've heard a few friends mention how much they like her.
Old 12-06-2023, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

She has such a wonderful voice. I hope she comes to Wales sometime.

Talking guitars: I love the way she uses her archtop for basic roots/bluegrass song backing. Archtops in roots music are a bit of a "secret". They are seen as "jazz boxes" only and overlooked for general acoustic playing. I think they are great to sing with. But you have to get past that first awful sounding strum when you pick one up in a guitar shop. More than any flattop I have played, I need to "work" my archtop. I'm playing a bluegrass and country gig just before Xmas and it will be my acoustic archtop rather than my D-18 on stage with me because I find it a better "fit" for the music.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 12-07-2023, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
She has such a wonderful voice. I hope she comes to Wales sometime.

Talking guitars: I love the way she uses her archtop for basic roots/bluegrass song backing. Archtops in roots music are a bit of a "secret". They are seen as "jazz boxes" only and overlooked for general acoustic playing. I think they are great to sing with. But you have to get past that first awful sounding strum when you pick one up in a guitar shop. More than any flattop I have played, I need to "work" my archtop. I'm playing a bluegrass and country gig just before Xmas and it will be my acoustic archtop rather than my D-18 on stage with me because I find it a better "fit" for the music.
The archtop she typically plays is a Fletcher Brock octave mandolin, not a guitar...
Old 12-07-2023, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
The archtop she typically plays is a Fletcher Brock octave mandolin, not a guitar...
So it is! No wonder it has that folk roots timbre, I just thought that she was using an alt tuning.

It was this video of Brennen Leigh that got me into thinking about getting an archtop. A very similar vibe going on. I just loved the sound.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 12-07-2023, 11:50 PM

You are in for a real treat. She is a wonderful performer. I saw her twice in 2022. Once where she was the headliner with her own band and once where she opened for The Punch Brothers and joined them for several songs. Fantastic performances both times. She's one of my favorite musicians of any genre. She grew up as a bluegrasser, but she can handle a huge variety of music styles. If you haven't seen any of them, check out the many videos on youtube of her as a guest performer on Live From Here. Some amazing performances there.
Old 03-10-2024, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanoFan View Post
She's playing the Harvester Performance Center which is just a couple miles from my house on March 9th. I'll have to go check her out. I've heard a few friends mention how much they like her.
Saw here there last night. An incredible show. Such a talent whether singing or playing a guitar or her octave mandolin. Definitely a don't miss show.
Martin OME-Cherry
And a complete lack of skill
Old 03-10-2024, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I'm a fan as well. I love her cover of Dylan's "Ring Them Bells".....she's made it her own!

Darn it, Jim, now I want one of those mandos....
2022 Taylor 712ce
Old 03-10-2024, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Nowhere near the Bay Area that I can see. I’d love to see her before she goes upmarket.

I became aware of her with her stunning cover of Nanci Griffith’s You Can never Go Home. Transporting.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 03-10-2024, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Darn it, Jim, now I want one of those mandos....
I thought I wanted one too Ken...but it helps if you know how to play one?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN